Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 2005 ridge ATP Zinfandel Oltranti

I really don't have the nanced descriptions down - just some jottings on
this wine.

Served with pan-sauted sirloin (pepper/garlic rub, with a
wine/shallot/cherry tomato sauce) and penne pasta, simply with olive oil and
parmesan.

Still almost opaque, my wife says a purple tinged garnet color, very bright
and lively.

To me the nose is almost pure Zinfandel, a bit of spice a bit of black
rasberry on the nose, not grapey but a nice winy-ness.

Dry, tannins nicely amalgamated, good fruit, worked really well with the
pepper on the steak, and played well against the sweet acid of the tomatoes,
but with enough guts to stand up to the sirloin. A nicely integrated wine.
Doesn't need any more time. A Zin that's not trying to be a cab or a Syrah,
just enjoying itself for what it is. Works brilliantly with the food. Not
a wine for the ages, maybe, but I wouldn't turn up my nose at this one
either.

Bernie Schmitt