Ed Rasimus

Default Pine Ridge Stag's Leap Vineyard '98

Felt extravagant last night and despite the simple fare of grilled
Porterhouse, baked potato and salad, brought up a Pine Ridge Cabernet
to accompany.

Once again I'm astonished by the difference encountered in a good cab.
I've always like Pine Ridge and have regularly bought both the
Rutherford Valley and Stag's Leap Vineyard bottlings.

This one was the '98 Stag's Leap and it proved that the premium price
difference between it and the Rutherford is money well spent.

A brownish, deep red in the class with long legs. The nose was one
that could adequately deter anyone from ever tasting the wine--how
much longer could it last if one imbibed by inhaling the vapors and
never drinking a wine? Huge notes of leather, cedar, toffee, vanilla
and a warm August afternoon on a country road. Finally got around to
putting some in my mouth and all of the promises of the bouquet were
kept. Silken, toasty, lingering, although still slightly puckery from
the tannin backbone on the finish.

This is a very impressive wine that will be a winner for another
decade at least. Wish I was still on the Pine Ridge mailing list (I
liked their Archery Summit Pinot Noir offerings as well....)

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
Richard Neidich

Ed, I enjoy Chimney Rock Stags Leap District bottling the same way. Had a
98 last night with Kansas City Strip....

Stags Leap District is one of my favorites.

dick

"Ed Rasimus" > wrote in message
> Felt extravagant last night and despite the simple fare of grilled
> Porterhouse, baked potato and salad, brought up a Pine Ridge Cabernet
> to accompany.
>
> Once again I'm astonished by the difference encountered in a good cab.
> I've always like Pine Ridge and have regularly bought both the
> Rutherford Valley and Stag's Leap Vineyard bottlings.
>
> This one was the '98 Stag's Leap and it proved that the premium price
> difference between it and the Rutherford is money well spent.
>
> A brownish, deep red in the class with long legs. The nose was one
> that could adequately deter anyone from ever tasting the wine--how
> much longer could it last if one imbibed by inhaling the vapors and
> never drinking a wine? Huge notes of leather, cedar, toffee, vanilla
> and a warm August afternoon on a country road. Finally got around to
> putting some in my mouth and all of the promises of the bouquet were
> kept. Silken, toasty, lingering, although still slightly puckery from
> the tannin backbone on the finish.
>
> This is a very impressive wine that will be a winner for another
> decade at least. Wish I was still on the Pine Ridge mailing list (I
> liked their Archery Summit Pinot Noir offerings as well....)
>

> Ed Rasimus
> Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
> "When Thunder Rolled"
> www.thunderchief.org

Hunt

In article >,
says...

>Felt extravagant last night and despite the simple fare of grilled
>Porterhouse, baked potato and salad, brought up a Pine Ridge Cabernet
>to accompany.
>
>Once again I'm astonished by the difference encountered in a good cab.
>I've always like Pine Ridge and have regularly bought both the
>Rutherford Valley and Stag's Leap Vineyard bottlings.
>
>This one was the '98 Stag's Leap and it proved that the premium price
>difference between it and the Rutherford is money well spent.
>
>A brownish, deep red in the class with long legs. The nose was one
>that could adequately deter anyone from ever tasting the wine--how
>much longer could it last if one imbibed by inhaling the vapors and
>never drinking a wine? Huge notes of leather, cedar, toffee, vanilla
>and a warm August afternoon on a country road. Finally got around to
>putting some in my mouth and all of the promises of the bouquet were
>kept. Silken, toasty, lingering, although still slightly puckery from
>the tannin backbone on the finish.
>
>This is a very impressive wine that will be a winner for another
>decade at least. Wish I was still on the Pine Ridge mailing list (I
>liked their Archery Summit Pinot Noir offerings as well....)
>

>Ed Rasimus
>Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
>"When Thunder Rolled"

www.thunderchief.org

Ed,

Thanks for the notes. Pine Ridge has always been a staple around here,
starting with their light little Chenin-Viognier "welcome wine," up to the SLD
Cab. Wasn't the '98 the first release that Nancy Andres did on her own? It
seems that this vintage was about the time that Gary left for NZ, and Nancy
became the winemaker. BTW, has anyone (St Helier, anyone?) heard what he is
doing in Kiwi-land? Seems that he had a project plot down there, but I have
heard nothing in the wine-porn press. It will be interesting how the winery
progresses now, as I think they have been "acquired."

Hunt

Redhart

Impressive.
"Ed Rasimus" > wrote in message
> Felt extravagant last night and despite the simple fare of grilled
> Porterhouse, baked potato and salad, brought up a Pine Ridge Cabernet
> to accompany.
>
> Once again I'm astonished by the difference encountered in a good cab.
> I've always like Pine Ridge and have regularly bought both the
> Rutherford Valley and Stag's Leap Vineyard bottlings.
>
> This one was the '98 Stag's Leap and it proved that the premium price
> difference between it and the Rutherford is money well spent.
>
> A brownish, deep red in the class with long legs. The nose was one
> that could adequately deter anyone from ever tasting the wine--how
> much longer could it last if one imbibed by inhaling the vapors and
> never drinking a wine? Huge notes of leather, cedar, toffee, vanilla
> and a warm August afternoon on a country road. Finally got around to
> putting some in my mouth and all of the promises of the bouquet were
> kept. Silken, toasty, lingering, although still slightly puckery from
> the tannin backbone on the finish.
>
> This is a very impressive wine that will be a winner for another
> decade at least. Wish I was still on the Pine Ridge mailing list (I
> liked their Archery Summit Pinot Noir offerings as well....)
>

> Ed Rasimus
> Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
> "When Thunder Rolled"
> www.thunderchief.org

Is Stag's Leap SLV to my taste? Michael Nielsen[_4_] Wine 0 15-03-2015 11:09 PM
Stag's Leap sold Man-Ho Chu[_2_] Wine 0 02-08-2007 03:42 PM
Pine Ridge Stag's Leap Chard '99 DaleW Wine 1 23-03-2005 01:53 PM
Selection Estate Stag's Leap Merlot Ralph Winemaking 7 14-02-2004 07:23 PM
TN: Pine Ridge Stag's Leap District CS and Ridge Pagani Ed Rasimus Wine 3 28-10-2003 02:15 PM