jcoulter

Default Rabbit and ????

I am fixing rabbit in a preparation that includes chestnuts and mushrooms.

My wine choices are

white: Chassange Montrachet 1999 (the fullest white I have ready to go
with body to match the dish somewhat)

red: Chianti Classico, Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, Moulin a vent (DeBoeuf
2003), Ermitage du Pic St. Loop (Coteaux du Languedoc) 2001

any ideas??

Joe Rosenberg

I had rabbit or hare on a few occasions in Piemonte & Aosta, young lighter
styled nebbiolo like a gattinara or ghemme went well with it but its like
any other dish it depends on the preparation and sauces.

BTW one of the place I had rabbit was at Pinocchio's in the town of
Borgomanero in Novarra-Vercelli near Lago Maggiore. They also served a
salami made from donkey meat, which made me suggest they have a T-Shirt for
American tourists that says "I had a piece of ass at Pinocchio's". (ka-boom)

--
Joe "Beppe" Rosenberg
"Hunt" > wrote in message
> In article >, 225
> says...
> >
> >I am fixing rabbit in a preparation that includes chestnuts and

mushrooms.

> >My wine choices are
> >
> >white: Chassange Montrachet 1999 (the fullest white I have ready to go
> >with body to match the dish somewhat)
> >
> >red: Chianti Classico, Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, Moulin a vent (DeBoeuf
> >2003), Ermitage du Pic St. Loop (Coteaux du Languedoc) 2001
> >
> >any ideas??

> My "first choice" would be a Chassagne Montrachet rouge, but as you didn't
> mention it, I assume that you might not have one handy. Next would be any
> number of Burgs, next OR/US PNs, then CndPs, or a Croze-Hermitage. Then

I'd
> look to the Moulin a Vent, and finally the Montepulciano d'Abruzzo.
>
> Lets see what others choose for you,
> Hunt

jcoulter

(Hunt) wrote in :

> In article >, 225

says...

>>I am fixing rabbit in a preparation that includes chestnuts and
>>mushrooms.
>>
>>My wine choices are
>>
>>white: Chassange Montrachet 1999 (the fullest white I have ready to
>>go with body to match the dish somewhat)
>>
>>red: Chianti Classico, Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, Moulin a vent (DeBoeuf
>>2003), Ermitage du Pic St. Loop (Coteaux du Languedoc) 2001
>>
>>any ideas??

> My "first choice" would be a Chassagne Montrachet rouge, but as you
> didn't mention it, I assume that you might not have one handy. Next
> would be any number of Burgs, next OR/US PNs, then CndPs, or a
> Croze-Hermitage. Then I'd look to the Moulin a Vent, and finally the
> Montepulciano d'Abruzzo.
>
> Lets see what others choose for you,
> Hunt

Well I went with the first choice the Chassange Montrachet Morey et Fils
1999 and it was a greeat choice. I understand your choices, Hunt. If I
had a really good red Burgundy it would have tempted me, but at the last
moment (decant time) I tasted the sauce and realized that it was such a
perfect fit for the chassagne slightly nutty and fairly light. After I
opened the Chassange I couldn't even see a red with this dish.

(Rabbit simmered in a bed of onion, sage, rosemary, garlic, mushrooms
and chestnuts)

there were other wines that were available, but who would have paired an
Amarone? or a Cal Cab S.?

Had I gone with the Burgundy or the St. Joseph I keep always close at
hand, all would have been good I am sure. That is one of the joys of
pairing, a lot of things work, what is important is what worked tonight.

thank you all
Anders Tørneskog

"Joe Rosenberg" > skrev i melding
>I had rabbit or hare on a few occasions in Piemonte & Aosta, young lighter
> styled nebbiolo like a gattinara or ghemme went well with it but its like
> any other dish it depends on the preparation and sauces.
>
> BTW one of the place I had rabbit was at Pinocchio's in the town of
> Borgomanero in Novarra-Vercelli near Lago Maggiore. They also served a
> salami made from donkey meat, which made me suggest they have a T-Shirt
> for
> American tourists that says "I had a piece of ass at Pinocchio's".
> (ka-boom)

And if that salami was served as an appetizer between courses the foreigner
(me) might have written "The piece of ass we had for the intercourse at
Pinocchio's was wonderful"

;-) Anders

Dale Williams

Glad the white Burg turned out well. From initial description (chestnuts and
mushrooms) red Burg would have been my suggestion.

Rabbit itself is pretty wine friendly, and my choice would usually depend on
prep. I like big dry Riesling with rabbit in mustard sauce, or Brunello with
rabbit ragu over pappadelle. I wish more Americans would get over their "Bugs"
squeamishness- good eats.

Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Hunt

In article >, 225
says...

(Hunt) wrote in :

>> In article >, 225

says...

>>>I am fixing rabbit in a preparation that includes chestnuts and
>>>mushrooms.
>>>
>>>My wine choices are
>>>
>>>white: Chassange Montrachet 1999 (the fullest white I have ready to
>>>go with body to match the dish somewhat)
>>>
>>>red: Chianti Classico, Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, Moulin a vent (DeBoeuf
>>>2003), Ermitage du Pic St. Loop (Coteaux du Languedoc) 2001
>>>
>>>any ideas??

>> My "first choice" would be a Chassagne Montrachet rouge, but as you
>> didn't mention it, I assume that you might not have one handy. Next
>> would be any number of Burgs, next OR/US PNs, then CndPs, or a
>> Croze-Hermitage. Then I'd look to the Moulin a Vent, and finally the
>> Montepulciano d'Abruzzo.
>>
>> Lets see what others choose for you,
>> Hunt
>>

>Well I went with the first choice the Chassange Montrachet Morey et Fils
>1999 and it was a greeat choice. I understand your choices, Hunt. If I
>had a really good red Burgundy it would have tempted me, but at the last
>moment (decant time) I tasted the sauce and realized that it was such a
>perfect fit for the chassagne slightly nutty and fairly light. After I
>opened the Chassange I couldn't even see a red with this dish.
>
>(Rabbit simmered in a bed of onion, sage, rosemary, garlic, mushrooms
>and chestnuts)
>
>there were other wines that were available, but who would have paired an
>Amarone? or a Cal Cab S.?
>
>Had I gone with the Burgundy or the St. Joseph I keep always close at
>hand, all would have been good I am sure. That is one of the joys of
>pairing, a lot of things work, what is important is what worked tonight.
>
>thank you all

I'm glad that the pairing, and the meal, went well. I will use ANY excuse to
open a C-Montrachet, blanc or rouge! I'll keep your match for future reference
and will try it. Looking onto the golf course today, I see that this is a good
year for bunnies - hm-m, maybe sooner than I thought? No, I think I'll wait
for the appropriate opportunity.

Thanks,
Hunt

Hunt

In article >, 225
says...

(Dale Williams) wrote in
:

>> Glad the white Burg turned out well. From initial description
>> (chestnuts and mushrooms) red Burg would have been my suggestion.
>>
>> Rabbit itself is pretty wine friendly, and my choice would usually
>> depend on prep. I like big dry Riesling with rabbit in mustard sauce,
>> or Brunello with rabbit ragu over pappadelle. I wish more Americans
>> would get over their "Bugs" squeamishness- good eats.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> Dale Williams
>> Drop "damnspam" to reply
>>

>thanks Dale, as I think I already indicated that the Chassange was my first
>choice but I got cold feet and wanted to revert to the more traditional
>sounding pairing. Perhaps if my wife had brought home the porcini for which
>the recipe called, the red would have been imperative, but with baby bellas
>it all stayed light enough for a nice match.
>
>This was my first attempt at pushing tradition on a pairing other than a
>red Chinon with salmon, I stay fairly conservative. My experience with this
>one underscores the importance of working the sauce to the the wine. After
>tasting the sauce halfway through, I knew that the white would work.

As a slight aside, I think that this might well be one of the main reasons to
have a cellar. While many of us appreciate properly aged reds, and a few
whites, one big plus is that when faced with a food pairing, if something
doesn't work as intended, we just trapse off the the cellar, grab another
bottle, and hope things get better. It sure beats taking off the "sweats" and
heading over the hill to the wine shop as the chef and guests all tap their
feet.

Thanks for the follow-up,
Hunt

Joe Rosenberg

Oh, your fixing a rabbi, what does that mean? Do you make him sterile?
Oh, you said rabbit not rabbi. Never mind

EM Tutella
as told to

Joe "Beppe" Rosenberg
"Hunt" > wrote in message
> In article >, 225
> says...
> >
> (Hunt) wrote in :
> >
> >> In article >, 225

says...

> >> My "first choice" would be a Chassagne Montrachet rouge, but as you
> >> didn't mention it, I assume that you might not have one handy. Next
> >> would be any number of Burgs, next OR/US PNs, then CndPs, or a
> >> Croze-Hermitage. Then I'd look to the Moulin a Vent, and finally the
> >> Montepulciano d'Abruzzo.
> >>
> >> Lets see what others choose for you,
> >> Hunt
> >>

> >Well I went with the first choice the Chassange Montrachet Morey et Fils
> >1999 and it was a greeat choice. I understand your choices, Hunt. If I
> >had a really good red Burgundy it would have tempted me, but at the last
> >moment (decant time) I tasted the sauce and realized that it was such a
> >perfect fit for the chassagne slightly nutty and fairly light. After I
> >opened the Chassange I couldn't even see a red with this dish.
> >
> >(Rabbit simmered in a bed of onion, sage, rosemary, garlic, mushrooms
> >and chestnuts)
> >
> >there were other wines that were available, but who would have paired an
> >Amarone? or a Cal Cab S.?
> >
> >Had I gone with the Burgundy or the St. Joseph I keep always close at
> >hand, all would have been good I am sure. That is one of the joys of
> >pairing, a lot of things work, what is important is what worked tonight.
> >
> >thank you all

> I'm glad that the pairing, and the meal, went well. I will use ANY excuse

> open a C-Montrachet, blanc or rouge! I'll keep your match for future

reference
> and will try it. Looking onto the golf course today, I see that this is a

good
> year for bunnies - hm-m, maybe sooner than I thought? No, I think I'll

wait
> for the appropriate opportunity.
>
> Thanks,
> Hunt

If it's an Italian (regional) recipe, use an Italian wine of that
region.

Hunt

In article >, says...

>Oh, your fixing a rabbi, what does that mean? Do you make him sterile?
>Oh, you said rabbit not rabbi. Never mind
>
>EM Tutella
>as told to
>
>Joe "Beppe" Rosenberg
>"Hunt" > wrote in message
>> In article >, 225

says...

says...

>> >Well I went with the first choice the Chassange Montrachet Morey et Fils
>> >1999 and it was a greeat choice. I understand your choices, Hunt. If I
>> >had a really good red Burgundy it would have tempted me, but at the last
>> >moment (decant time) I tasted the sauce and realized that it was such a
>> >perfect fit for the chassagne slightly nutty and fairly light. After I
>> >opened the Chassange I couldn't even see a red with this dish.
>> >
>> >(Rabbit simmered in a bed of onion, sage, rosemary, garlic, mushrooms
>> >and chestnuts)
>> >
>> >there were other wines that were available, but who would have paired an
>> >Amarone? or a Cal Cab S.?
>> >
>> >Had I gone with the Burgundy or the St. Joseph I keep always close at
>> >hand, all would have been good I am sure. That is one of the joys of
>> >pairing, a lot of things work, what is important is what worked tonight.
>> >
>> >thank you all

>> I'm glad that the pairing, and the meal, went well. I will use ANY excuse

>> open a C-Montrachet, blanc or rouge! I'll keep your match for future

>reference
>> and will try it. Looking onto the golf course today, I see that this is a

>good
>> year for bunnies - hm-m, maybe sooner than I thought? No, I think I'll

>wait
>> for the appropriate opportunity.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Hunt

Beppe,

Did I forget my "t"s somewhere along this thread? Dang, if I would always type
this stuff in the AM, before I declare "wine:30" that stuff wouldn't happen,
at least not so often. Actually, with my rabbi, I serve Weinstock, or Baron
Herzog, depending of whether the meal needs a Zin, or Cab-based wine. Am I
wrong there? :-}

Again, nice to see you posting again,
Hunt

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi jcoulter,

le/on Sat, 22 Jan 2005 18:03:42 -0600, tu disais/you said:-

>I am fixing rabbit in a preparation that includes chestnuts and mushrooms.

A warning, that I should have posted much earlier. Sorry.

In Europe, rabbit comes in two types, hutch bred, considered by the French
as "poultry", meaning that it's to be found in farmyards, and "wild" or
"garenne", considered as game.

The two are quite different in size and taste, and really have to be cooked
and matched with wine differently.

In addition there is another animal known as "hare", which is always wild,
is much larger and much more gamy in flavour.

So what?

Well, in the USA I don't think you have any hutch grown rabbits such as are
the object of most modern French rabbit dishes. You might just be able to
find some frozen from China, I think Secondly, the animal _you_ know of as
rabbit, is in fact quite gamy in flavour and is mid way between wild
European rabbit and hare, more or less.

I hope you don't mind me interjecting this, as otherwise suggestions of a
good match will be hopelessly skewed! Hare (european) is a very powerfully
flavoured gamy animal, best served with wines like a Shiraz, or a Barolo,
IMO. Hutch rabbit, at the other end of the scale is a delicately flavoured,
white fleshed animal, quite like chicken in flavour profile and texture,
though tastier and leaner.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Emery Davis

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 20:48:39 -0500, "Joe Rosenberg" > said:

] I had rabbit or hare on a few occasions in Piemonte & Aosta, young lighter
] styled nebbiolo like a gattinara or ghemme went well with it but its like
] any other dish it depends on the preparation and sauces.
[]

We should be careful not to confuse rabbit with hare. The latter is usually
darkish meat, and quite gamey, calling for a big spicey red. The former is
much more versatile, although I'd usually opt for red with it too. Sounds
like a tastey recipe, Joe.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to
Joe Rosenberg

What you are looking at are "middleweights" or maybe "Light heavingweights"
for you Bugsy (Boneau aka Bunny) repast.
Besides Novarra-Vercelli you could go to Valtellina Superiore or a ripasso
styled Valpolicella. Of course in Tuscany-Emilia Romagna and Umbria, you
have all sorts of sangiovese based wines. If you stay alway from Riservas
and Brunello(rosso di montalcino is ok) Aglianico is also good, again skip
the riservas.

Finally a rich plummy dolcetto might do the trick as would a cru Beaujolais
or gigondas.

--
Joe "Beppe" Rosenberg
. ..

said:

> ] I had rabbit or hare on a few occasions in Piemonte & Aosta, young

lighter
> ] styled nebbiolo like a gattinara or ghemme went well with it but its

like
> ] any other dish it depends on the preparation and sauces.
> []
>
> We should be careful not to confuse rabbit with hare. The latter is

usually
> darkish meat, and quite gamey, calling for a big spicey red. The former

is
> much more versatile, although I'd usually opt for red with it too. Sounds
> like a tastey recipe, Joe.
>
> -E
>
> --
> Emery Davis
> You can reply to
> by removing the well known companies

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Emery Davis,

le/on Tue, 25 Jan 2005 19:14:44 +0100, tu disais/you said:-

>] In Europe, rabbit comes in two types, hutch bred,

>] Well, in the USA I don't think you have any hutch grown rabbits such as are
>] the object of most modern French rabbit dishes

>Sorry Ian, "hutch grown" rabbit is now widely available in the US, at least
>in the urban markets I've frequented. It used to be only available frozen, but
>I've seen it fresh in NY and SF for some time now.

That's interesting, I didn't know that, nor did I see any when I was
travelling.

anyway, I hope I've clarified the types of meat at least.

Thanks for the correction.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Ken Blake

In ,
Hunt > typed:

> Qustion: is rabbit (rabbi to
> Beppe) a staple in Itallian cuisine? For some reason, I think
> of it
> as being mostly French, but that might be my limited exposure
> to it.
> One tends to provencialize, when they have not dined throughout
> the
> entire world.

I'm not sure it's a staple, but I've had it numbers of times of
Italy, and always enjoyed it.

> Please share some regional Italian recipes for rabbit,
> and your recommendations for the wine pairings.

Marcella Hazan has several rabbit recipes in her series of books,
and in my experience her recipes are always excellent.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Emery Davis

[]
]
] The two are quite different in size and taste, and really have to be cooked
] and matched with wine differently.
]
] In addition there is another animal known as "hare", which is always wild,
] is much larger and much more gamy in flavour.
]

All true of course
] So what?
]
] Well, in the USA I don't think you have any hutch grown rabbits such as are
] the object of most modern French rabbit dishes. You might just be able to
] find some frozen from China, I think Secondly, the animal _you_ know of as
] rabbit, is in fact quite gamy in flavour and is mid way between wild
] European rabbit and hare, more or less.
]

Sorry Ian, "hutch grown" rabbit is now widely available in the US, at least
in the urban markets I've frequented. It used to be only available frozen, but
I've seen it fresh in NY and SF for some time now.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to
by removing the well known companies

DaleW

I'd agree that most of the rabbit we see is farm-bred (aka hutch,
though let's hope they're not battery rabbits!). Which is why prep is
all -important. It is delicate enough to serve as a bit of a blank
slate.

Ken Blake

In ,
Ian Hoare > typed:

> In Europe, rabbit comes in two types, hutch bred, considered by
> the
> French as "poultry", meaning that it's to be found in
> farmyards, and
> "wild" or "garenne", considered as game.
>
> The two are quite different in size and taste, and really have
> to be
> cooked and matched with wine differently.
>
> In addition there is another animal known as "hare", which is
> always
> wild, is much larger and much more gamy in flavour.
>
> So what?
>
> Well, in the USA I don't think you have any hutch grown rabbits
> such
> as are the object of most modern French rabbit dishes.

Ian, I'm afraid you have it backwards. We don't use the term
"hutch grown" in the USA (at least I've never run into it), but
farm-bred rabbits are almost the only kind we can usually get.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Emery Davis

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 22:38:46 +0100, Ian Hoare > said:

[]
] anyway, I hope I've clarified the types of meat at least.
]

Indeed.

] Thanks for the correction.
]

Hey, I saw a rare opportunity to correct the Hoare, and jumped at it!

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to
by removing the well known companies
jcoulter

Ian Hoare > wrote in
:

> Salut/Hi Emery Davis,

> That's interesting, I didn't know that, nor did I see any when I was
> travelling.
>
> anyway, I hope I've clarified the types of meat at least.
>
> Thanks for the correction.

You won't see lapin, coniglio, rabbit or anyother such labels in most
restaurants (if in any at all), it is still a specialty item, but I can get
it in my local grocery store albeit frozen andm yes, it is very delicate
and not at all like the rabbit that we would hunt on the farm when I was
young.

Rabbit [email protected] General Cooking 6 05-04-2009 10:32 PM
Another Rabbit aem General Cooking 1 03-04-2009 07:48 PM
Rabbit Pie Chef R W Miller Recipes (moderated) 0 19-04-2007 03:43 PM
Rabbit? 43fan Barbecue 7 12-01-2007 11:14 PM
Rabbit Q Bluesea Wine 3 26-05-2005 11:22 PM