Dale Williams

Default TN: wines with fondue

Saturday we went to my friend Alex's monthly table d'hôte fundraising dinner
for his church, this month with a cheese fondue theme. I was curious how was
he going to do fondue for 40+? Quite well, it turns out. Despite having to
manage 9 disparate cheese pots, Alex saw to it that everyone got a great
fondue experience. He used a classic French Alps mix of Comté, Appenzeller, and
Beaufort, with a little white wine (and a touch of kirsch?). Delicious crusty
bread served as a dip medium, and a charcuterie plate circulated with salami,
bündnerfleisch (air dried beef, kind of a Swiss version of Bresaolo), and ham.
Some cornichons and pickled onions completed the experience.

Fondue is pretty much the only time I have Swiss wine, so I carried along the
2000 Robert Gilliard Fendant (Valais). Light-bodied wine, with moderate acidity
and white fruit; there's a nutty edge to the aromas. Not a sherry-like
nuttiness, more like what you get from a Greco di Tufo. Interesting, but the
overall package was a tad dilute. B-

We also had a red, the 2000 Haut-Guiraud Côtes de Bourg. I don't remember
buying this, but sure it was in $10 range ('cause I'd remember if I bought a
2000 Bdx for $8, or paid more than $15 for a Bourg other than Roc de Cambes).
Fresh juicy style of Bordeaux, ripe red Merlot fruit with some modest vanilla
oak. Pleasant if somewhat anonymous red, ok qpr. B

Some nearby diners also traded toasts, we tried :
2002 Guyon Mcon-Solutre
Good white apple fruit, a steely/flinty minerality to the finish. A little
fatter than my preference for a Mcon, but a nice enough wine. B

2001 Haart Piesporter Goldtröpfchen Kabinett
Ripe rich fruit, with moderate sweetness balanced by good acidity. A definite
grapefruit note to the fruit, which is accentuated when they bring out a palate
cleanser of grapefruit and tarragon sorbet. Nice wine. B+

A fun night, and when Betsy found a king in the gallette, I got to wear a
crown.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a
good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where
it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy,
and certainly not of consistency
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply