Mat

Default Jancis Robinson's Wine Course [BBC2 video].

Hello,

Anyone seen this? I picked it up for pretty much nothing in a discount
shop the other day [not a wine store in case anyone was wondering].

Its a little bit old [1995] but still quite interesting. Some of the
fashions are funny, and I thought it was hilarious they were talking
about how the desolated Barossa is starting to produce some shiraz.

It seems to have passages of French with no subtitles etc, which is a
little annoying as I can only speak a little French, so when they start
going at 100 miles an hour its a bit hard to pick it all up.

One of the more amusing moments for me was her getting an Oz wine maker
to try Chateau Mersault [in the order of about 50 pounds even back then]
I *think* it was, and him saying "OK, but I'd prefer our stuff". Then
her giving the French Burgundian guy a Jacob's Creek 93ish Chardonnay
[less than $10AU even now, and even tight-wad moi tries to avoid most
Jacob's Creek at this level] and he sniffs it, whispers "Is this
corked?". She says she doesn't think so. He trys it, goes to spit it
into the bucket, then runs outside and spits it into the drain, he
wouldn't even spit it in his own cellar. Then he says "Yes, that's
Australian chardonnay" but would not be drawn.

I did giggle.

Mat.

Ron Lel

"Mat" <Ask@me> wrote in message ...
> Hello,
>
> Anyone seen this? I picked it up for pretty much nothing in a discount
> shop the other day [not a wine store in case anyone was wondering].
>
> Its a little bit old [1995] but still quite interesting. Some of the
> fashions are funny, and I thought it was hilarious they were talking about
> how the desolated Barossa is starting to produce some shiraz.
>
> It seems to have passages of French with no subtitles etc, which is a
> little annoying as I can only speak a little French, so when they start
> going at 100 miles an hour its a bit hard to pick it all up.
>
> One of the more amusing moments for me was her getting an Oz wine maker to
> try Chateau Mersault [in the order of about 50 pounds even back then] I
> *think* it was, and him saying "OK, but I'd prefer our stuff". Then her
> giving the French Burgundian guy a Jacob's Creek 93ish Chardonnay [less
> than $10AU even now, and even tight-wad moi tries to avoid most Jacob's
> Creek at this level] and he sniffs it, whispers "Is this corked?". She
> says she doesn't think so. He trys it, goes to spit it into the bucket,
> then runs outside and spits it into the drain, he wouldn't even spit it in
> his own cellar. Then he says "Yes, that's Australian chardonnay" but would
> not be drawn.
>
> I did giggle.
>

> Mat.

I have seen this Mat. Has the Barossa produced some decent Shiraz since
1995? I haven't drunk many that I like; I much prefer Clare.
Ron Lel

Ron Lel

"Mat" <Ask@me> wrote in message ...
> Hello,
>
> Anyone seen this? I picked it up for pretty much nothing in a discount
> shop the other day [not a wine store in case anyone was wondering].
>
> Its a little bit old [1995] but still quite interesting. Some of the
> fashions are funny, and I thought it was hilarious they were talking about
> how the desolated Barossa is starting to produce some shiraz.
>
> It seems to have passages of French with no subtitles etc, which is a
> little annoying as I can only speak a little French, so when they start
> going at 100 miles an hour its a bit hard to pick it all up.
>
> One of the more amusing moments for me was her getting an Oz wine maker to
> try Chateau Mersault [in the order of about 50 pounds even back then] I
> *think* it was, and him saying "OK, but I'd prefer our stuff". Then her
> giving the French Burgundian guy a Jacob's Creek 93ish Chardonnay [less
> than $10AU even now, and even tight-wad moi tries to avoid most Jacob's
> Creek at this level] and he sniffs it, whispers "Is this corked?". She
> says she doesn't think so. He trys it, goes to spit it into the bucket,
> then runs outside and spits it into the drain, he wouldn't even spit it in
> his own cellar. Then he says "Yes, that's Australian chardonnay" but would
> not be drawn.
>
> I did giggle.
>

> Mat.

I have seen this Mat. Has the Barossa produced some decent Shiraz since
1995? I haven't drunk many that I like; I much prefer Clare.
Ron Lel

Mat

Ron Lel wrote:

> "Mat" <Ask@me> wrote in message ...
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>Anyone seen this? I picked it up for pretty much nothing in a discount
>>shop the other day [not a wine store in case anyone was wondering].
>>
>>Its a little bit old [1995] but still quite interesting. Some of the
>>fashions are funny, and I thought it was hilarious they were talking about
>>how the desolated Barossa is starting to produce some shiraz.
>>
>>It seems to have passages of French with no subtitles etc, which is a
>>little annoying as I can only speak a little French, so when they start
>>going at 100 miles an hour its a bit hard to pick it all up.
>>
>>One of the more amusing moments for me was her getting an Oz wine maker to
>>try Chateau Mersault [in the order of about 50 pounds even back then] I
>>*think* it was, and him saying "OK, but I'd prefer our stuff". Then her
>>giving the French Burgundian guy a Jacob's Creek 93ish Chardonnay [less
>>than $10AU even now, and even tight-wad moi tries to avoid most Jacob's
>>Creek at this level] and he sniffs it, whispers "Is this corked?". She
>>says she doesn't think so. He trys it, goes to spit it into the bucket,
>>then runs outside and spits it into the drain, he wouldn't even spit it in
>>his own cellar. Then he says "Yes, that's Australian chardonnay" but would
>>not be drawn.
>>
>>I did giggle.
>>

>>Mat.

> I have seen this Mat. Has the Barossa produced some decent Shiraz since
> 1995? I haven't drunk many that I like; I much prefer Clare.
> Ron Lel

Hahaha, yes Ron, so I gathered.

Apparently the Barossa produces a fair bit of the stuff, or so I'm told
by ppl who are on the cutting edge of what's going on in the wine
industry.

Seems the French make wine too, but that could just be a rumour.

Mat.

Mat

Ron Lel wrote:

> "Mat" <Ask@me> wrote in message ...
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>Anyone seen this? I picked it up for pretty much nothing in a discount
>>shop the other day [not a wine store in case anyone was wondering].
>>
>>Its a little bit old [1995] but still quite interesting. Some of the
>>fashions are funny, and I thought it was hilarious they were talking about
>>how the desolated Barossa is starting to produce some shiraz.
>>
>>It seems to have passages of French with no subtitles etc, which is a
>>little annoying as I can only speak a little French, so when they start
>>going at 100 miles an hour its a bit hard to pick it all up.
>>
>>One of the more amusing moments for me was her getting an Oz wine maker to
>>try Chateau Mersault [in the order of about 50 pounds even back then] I
>>*think* it was, and him saying "OK, but I'd prefer our stuff". Then her
>>giving the French Burgundian guy a Jacob's Creek 93ish Chardonnay [less
>>than $10AU even now, and even tight-wad moi tries to avoid most Jacob's
>>Creek at this level] and he sniffs it, whispers "Is this corked?". She
>>says she doesn't think so. He trys it, goes to spit it into the bucket,
>>then runs outside and spits it into the drain, he wouldn't even spit it in
>>his own cellar. Then he says "Yes, that's Australian chardonnay" but would
>>not be drawn.
>>
>>I did giggle.
>>

>>Mat.

> I have seen this Mat. Has the Barossa produced some decent Shiraz since
> 1995? I haven't drunk many that I like; I much prefer Clare.
> Ron Lel

Hahaha, yes Ron, so I gathered.

Apparently the Barossa produces a fair bit of the stuff, or so I'm told
by ppl who are on the cutting edge of what's going on in the wine
industry.

Seems the French make wine too, but that could just be a rumour.

Mat.

Andrew Goldfinch

> I have seen this Mat. Has the Barossa produced some decent Shiraz since
> 1995? I haven't drunk many that I like; I much prefer Clare.
> Ron Lel

A couple I would point you towards would be - "Budget Conscious", Eldertons
02 Barossa Valley Shiraz and "What the hell you can't take it with you",
Gibsons Old Vine Collection Barossa shiraz 01. Both these are outstanding
wines and very Barossa in style.
Andrew

Andrew Goldfinch

> I have seen this Mat. Has the Barossa produced some decent Shiraz since
> 1995? I haven't drunk many that I like; I much prefer Clare.
> Ron Lel

A couple I would point you towards would be - "Budget Conscious", Eldertons
02 Barossa Valley Shiraz and "What the hell you can't take it with you",
Gibsons Old Vine Collection Barossa shiraz 01. Both these are outstanding
wines and very Barossa in style.
Andrew

Bill Hogsett

Mat <Ask@me> wrote in :

> Hello,
>
> Anyone seen this? I picked it up for pretty much nothing in a discount
> shop the other day [not a wine store in case anyone was wondering].

Yes, I got it for Christmas in 2003. I think my wife bought it on Amazon
for $19.00.

I loved the segment about Lilian Ladouys--a farm tying to become a
chateau. The segment followed the elaborate and expensive preparations
for a flowering of the vines celebration in Bordeaux. Someone (maybe the
owner of LaTour) estimated $500,000 for the garden party. So, it poured
rain the day of the party and it was pretty much a bust.

I tracked down 4 bottles of the Lilian Ladouys 2000 and smile when I
think of the episode.

I recommend the series as great fun and some educuation--for me at least.

Bill Hogsett
Bill Hogsett

Mat <Ask@me> wrote in :

> Hello,
>
> Anyone seen this? I picked it up for pretty much nothing in a discount
> shop the other day [not a wine store in case anyone was wondering].

Yes, I got it for Christmas in 2003. I think my wife bought it on Amazon
for $19.00.

I loved the segment about Lilian Ladouys--a farm tying to become a
chateau. The segment followed the elaborate and expensive preparations
for a flowering of the vines celebration in Bordeaux. Someone (maybe the
owner of LaTour) estimated $500,000 for the garden party. So, it poured
rain the day of the party and it was pretty much a bust.

I tracked down 4 bottles of the Lilian Ladouys 2000 and smile when I
think of the episode.

I recommend the series as great fun and some educuation--for me at least.

Bill Hogsett
Ron Lel

"Andrew Goldfinch" > wrote in message

>> I have seen this Mat. Has the Barossa produced some decent Shiraz since
>> 1995? I haven't drunk many that I like; I much prefer Clare.
>> Ron Lel

> A couple I would point you towards would be - "Budget Conscious",
> Eldertons 02 Barossa Valley Shiraz and "What the hell you can't take it
> with you", Gibsons Old Vine Collection Barossa shiraz 01. Both these are
> outstanding wines and very Barossa in style.
> Andrew

I am afraid you missed my sarcasm, Andrew. I am very familiar with Barossa
shiraz, I just dislike them. I find them over extractive, fruit bombs full
of American oak - and in general very overpriced - for the same price as the
top of the line Torbreck for example I can buy some pretty decent Rhones,
and I know what I would much rather be drinking. If I want to drink
Australian Shiraz, I will try something from West Australia, Clare or
perhaps the Yarra Valley.

Cheers
Ron

Ron Lel

"Andrew Goldfinch" > wrote in message

>> I have seen this Mat. Has the Barossa produced some decent Shiraz since
>> 1995? I haven't drunk many that I like; I much prefer Clare.
>> Ron Lel

> A couple I would point you towards would be - "Budget Conscious",
> Eldertons 02 Barossa Valley Shiraz and "What the hell you can't take it
> with you", Gibsons Old Vine Collection Barossa shiraz 01. Both these are
> outstanding wines and very Barossa in style.
> Andrew

I am afraid you missed my sarcasm, Andrew. I am very familiar with Barossa
shiraz, I just dislike them. I find them over extractive, fruit bombs full
of American oak - and in general very overpriced - for the same price as the
top of the line Torbreck for example I can buy some pretty decent Rhones,
and I know what I would much rather be drinking. If I want to drink
Australian Shiraz, I will try something from West Australia, Clare or
perhaps the Yarra Valley.

Cheers
Ron

Mat

Bill Hogsett wrote:

> Mat <Ask@me> wrote in :
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>Anyone seen this? I picked it up for pretty much nothing in a discount
>>shop the other day [not a wine store in case anyone was wondering].
>>

> Yes, I got it for Christmas in 2003. I think my wife bought it on Amazon
> for $19.00.
>
> I loved the segment about Lilian Ladouys--a farm tying to become a
> chateau. The segment followed the elaborate and expensive preparations
> for a flowering of the vines celebration in Bordeaux. Someone (maybe the
> owner of LaTour) estimated $500,000 for the garden party. So, it poured
> rain the day of the party and it was pretty much a bust.
>
> I tracked down 4 bottles of the Lilian Ladouys 2000 and smile when I
> think of the episode.
>
> I recommend the series as great fun and some educuation--for me at least.
>
> Bill Hogsett

Hello,

I picked it up for $6AU.

I saw the bit about them trying to crack the Bordeaux social set etc. It
was a little amusing when moving a bit of tent they poured rainwater all
over the desert.

Apparently spending all that cash is de rigeur in Bordeaux. Probably
less so as big bucks are spent by big companies to buy them out. Or
maybe more so.

Yeah I pick up one or two tidbits every episode, and its interesting to
be exposed to a lot of the stuff that goes on in places we tend not to
hear about here.

Mat.

Andrew Goldfinch

> I am afraid you missed my sarcasm, Andrew. I am very familiar with Barossa
> shiraz, I just dislike them. I find them over extractive, fruit bombs full
> of American oak - and in general very overpriced - for the same price as
> the top of the line Torbreck for example I can buy some pretty decent
> Rhones, and I know what I would much rather be drinking. If I want to
> drink Australian Shiraz, I will try something from West Australia, Clare
> or perhaps the Yarra Valley.
>
> Cheers
> Ron

Hi Ron, yes I did indeed miss your sarcasm
But don't you (or others in the group) think it's silly to dismiss an
entire region? (might be a new thread here.) Yes plenty of over extracted
fruit & vanilla bombs are produced in the Barossa just as there are plenty
of over priced under powered Rhones. This doesn't lead to me dismissing the
entire region. From the Australian regions you have indicated it seems to me
that you may have a preference for cooler climate shiraz, which of course is
fine, it would be a sad world if everybody agreed with me. I quote below a
tasting note off www.nicks.com.au for the Gibson's I love so much, just
reading it makes my mouth water. This is about $70 Oz (The 98 Torbreck Run
Rig is $500) and could do with another 5 or 10 years yet and is just an
extraordinary wine and one of many such produced in the Barossa. Believe me
here Ron, I'm certain you would like it. I keep reading in this news group
people who say they only drink Italian wines or don't like this region etc.
etc. and I'm just amazed at the broad brush strokes that people make. I
don't like bad wine & it doesn't matter what region or vineyard it comes
from that's pretty much my only criteria.

1999 Gibson`s Barossa Vale Australian Old Vine Collection Shiraz
Opaque black crimson colour with mauve hue. Superb, refined nose of violets,
liquorice allsorts, plum, spice and a chocolate end note. Totally
mouthfilling palate - flavours of blackpepper, cedar, violets, plum and
liquorice. The back palate shows extraordinary length. Perfect balance,
velvet smooth tannins, followed by an exceptionally long blackpepper, spice
and plum aftertaste.

Andrew Goldfinch

> I am afraid you missed my sarcasm, Andrew. I am very familiar with Barossa
> shiraz, I just dislike them. I find them over extractive, fruit bombs full
> of American oak - and in general very overpriced - for the same price as
> the top of the line Torbreck for example I can buy some pretty decent
> Rhones, and I know what I would much rather be drinking. If I want to
> drink Australian Shiraz, I will try something from West Australia, Clare
> or perhaps the Yarra Valley.
>
> Cheers
> Ron

Hi Ron, yes I did indeed miss your sarcasm
But don't you (or others in the group) think it's silly to dismiss an
entire region? (might be a new thread here.) Yes plenty of over extracted
fruit & vanilla bombs are produced in the Barossa just as there are plenty
of over priced under powered Rhones. This doesn't lead to me dismissing the
entire region. From the Australian regions you have indicated it seems to me
that you may have a preference for cooler climate shiraz, which of course is
fine, it would be a sad world if everybody agreed with me. I quote below a
tasting note off www.nicks.com.au for the Gibson's I love so much, just
reading it makes my mouth water. This is about $70 Oz (The 98 Torbreck Run
Rig is $500) and could do with another 5 or 10 years yet and is just an
extraordinary wine and one of many such produced in the Barossa. Believe me
here Ron, I'm certain you would like it. I keep reading in this news group
people who say they only drink Italian wines or don't like this region etc.
etc. and I'm just amazed at the broad brush strokes that people make. I
don't like bad wine & it doesn't matter what region or vineyard it comes
from that's pretty much my only criteria.

1999 Gibson`s Barossa Vale Australian Old Vine Collection Shiraz
Opaque black crimson colour with mauve hue. Superb, refined nose of violets,
liquorice allsorts, plum, spice and a chocolate end note. Totally
mouthfilling palate - flavours of blackpepper, cedar, violets, plum and
liquorice. The back palate shows extraordinary length. Perfect balance,
velvet smooth tannins, followed by an exceptionally long blackpepper, spice
and plum aftertaste.

Jancis updates on the fake Ponsots DaleW Wine 1 20-07-2009 01:05 PM
DRINK WINE AND HOOK UP VIDEO R C & M S Wine 0 27-07-2006 08:06 PM
Video Blog on Wine John Roi Wine 0 25-02-2006 01:18 AM
Jancis Robinson in Financial Times re Bdx 1995-2005 DaleW Wine 0 31-10-2005 01:21 AM
Jancis Robinson's Wine Course [BBC2 video]. Mat Wine 0 10-01-2005 04:42 AM