Dale Williams

Default TN: so-so Montagny, excellent Brunello

With cod in a lemon butter sauce and lemon risotto, the 2002 Stephane Aladame
Montagny 1er Cru. Richer than most Montagnys I've had, good concentration in
the pear-juice fruit. A little nutty (oak?) note. Decent match with the
lemoniness of the dish, ultimately a slightly boring wine. B-

With beef braised with tomato and garlic, with whole wheat fettucine, the 1999
Sesti Brunello di Montalcino. Seemed a little light at first pour, but 15
minutes of air brought it into its own. Deep rich black cherry fruit, clean and
pure with good acidity. In a way it reminded me of a good 1er Cru Burg from a
mid-weight appelation (say Vosne) in a ripe balanced year (i.e. '99). Some more
air brought out some leather and violets that made it seem more clearly Tuscan,
but then again I was looking at the label. Really quite a nice wine, and an
extremely good deal at $40 (Carolina Wine Company). A-/A

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a
good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where
it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy,
and certainly not of consistency

Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply

TN: 1999 Brunello DaleW Wine 0 27-05-2014 05:24 PM
TN: Meursault, Brunello, and CdR DaleW Wine 1 04-10-2009 12:01 PM
TN: not dying Dalem, and a Montagny DaleW Wine 0 24-03-2005 02:30 PM
97 Brunello di Montelcino Randell Tarin Wine 9 13-09-2004 10:47 PM
Brunello in a Restaurant Dennis Russo Wine 6 04-06-2004 02:52 PM