Randell Tarin

Default 97 Brunello di Montelcino

My wife and I have several bottles of 1997 Brunello di Montelcino that we
picked up after a trip to Italy several years ago. Our absolute favorite
wine!

My question is, if properly stored, how well does this keep OR do we need to
drink it now? Since it's such a precious commodity, I hate to squander it
on anything but a special occasion.

Some Brunellos seem to do better than others. We had two bottles of an 86,
one we drank in 2000, the other last year. The former was impeccable in
body and in taste. The latter, while drinkable, lost much of it's character
by holding on to it a little longer.

Anyone had any experience with the 1997.

Thanks,

Randell Tarin

James Dempster

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 17:28:45 GMT, Randell Tarin
> wrote:

>My wife and I have several bottles of 1997 Brunello di Montelcino that we
>picked up after a trip to Italy several years ago. Our absolute favorite
>wine!
>
>My question is, if properly stored, how well does this keep OR do we need to
>drink it now? Since it's such a precious commodity, I hate to squander it
>on anything but a special occasion.
>
>Some Brunellos seem to do better than others. We had two bottles of an 86,
>one we drank in 2000, the other last year. The former was impeccable in
>body and in taste. The latter, while drinkable, lost much of it's character
>by holding on to it a little longer.
>
>Anyone had any experience with the 1997.

No experience of the 97 but I had a Giocondo 88 Riserva in 2000 and it
was hard as nails. My other bottle is for 2008-12

James
James Dempster (remove nospam to reply by email)

You know you've had a good night
when you wake up
and someone's outlining you in chalk.
Uranium Committee

Randell Tarin > wrote in message >...
> My wife and I have several bottles of 1997 Brunello di Montelcino that we
> picked up after a trip to Italy several years ago. Our absolute favorite
> wine!
>
> My question is, if properly stored, how well does this keep OR do we need to
> drink it now? Since it's such a precious commodity, I hate to squander it
> on anything but a special occasion.
>
> Some Brunellos seem to do better than others. We had two bottles of an 86,
> one we drank in 2000, the other last year. The former was impeccable in
> body and in taste. The latter, while drinkable, lost much of it's character
> by holding on to it a little longer.
>
> Anyone had any experience with the 1997.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Randell Tarin

Hold for three to five years.
Peter Muto

wrote on 09/13/04 2:18 AM:

> > Randell Tarin > wrote in message
> >> My wife and I have several bottles of 1997 Brunello di Montelcino that we
> >> picked up after a trip to Italy several years ago. Our absolute favorite
> >> wine!
> >>
> >> My question is, if properly stored, how well does this keep OR do we need to
> >> drink it now? Since it's such a precious commodity, I hate to squander it
> >> on anything but a special occasion.
> >>
> >> Some Brunellos seem to do better than others. We had two bottles of an 86,
> >> one we drank in 2000, the other last year. The former was impeccable in
> >> body and in taste. The latter, while drinkable, lost much of it's character
> >> by holding on to it a little longer.
> >>
> >> Anyone had any experience with the 1997.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Randell Tarin

> > Hold for three to five years.

> From 1997 or from now?

With regard to the two 1986 bottles you had, if different producers,
different sources (and hence storage conditions/provenance) the
experience can vary dramatically with a mature wine.
As for 1997, it depends more on the producer (their quality and style)
than anything.
I opened my 1st of 12 bottles of the regular Col d'Orcia and it was
ready. I kind of wish I had opened one earler so I could have seen
more of the life or evolution of the wine but I would already call the
wine mature.
If you have a Risvera bottling, most are probably not going to be
ready for about another 3-5 years or so.
The biggest factor in the end is your palate. Mature wine is
definitely an acquired taste; I always try (sometimes unsuccessfully)
to err on the side of too soon rather than too late.

Peter
Peter Muto

wrote on 09/13/04 2:18 AM:

> > Randell Tarin > wrote in message
> >> My wife and I have several bottles of 1997 Brunello di Montelcino that we
> >> picked up after a trip to Italy several years ago. Our absolute favorite
> >> wine!
> >>
> >> My question is, if properly stored, how well does this keep OR do we need to
> >> drink it now? Since it's such a precious commodity, I hate to squander it
> >> on anything but a special occasion.
> >>
> >> Some Brunellos seem to do better than others. We had two bottles of an 86,
> >> one we drank in 2000, the other last year. The former was impeccable in
> >> body and in taste. The latter, while drinkable, lost much of it's character
> >> by holding on to it a little longer.
> >>
> >> Anyone had any experience with the 1997.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Randell Tarin

> > Hold for three to five years.

> From 1997 or from now?

With regard to the two 1986 bottles you had, if different producers,
different sources (and hence storage conditions/provenance) the
experience can vary dramatically with a mature wine.
As for 1997, it depends more on the producer (their quality and style)
than anything.
I opened my 1st of 12 bottles of the regular Col d'Orcia and it was
ready. I kind of wish I had opened one earler so I could have seen
more of the life or evolution of the wine but I would already call the
wine mature.
If you have a Risvera bottling, most are probably not going to be
ready for about another 3-5 years or so.
The biggest factor in the end is your palate. Mature wine is
definitely an acquired taste; I always try (sometimes unsuccessfully)
to err on the side of too soon rather than too late.

Peter
Peter Muto

wrote on 09/13/04 2:18 AM:

> > Randell Tarin > wrote in message
> >> My wife and I have several bottles of 1997 Brunello di Montelcino that we
> >> picked up after a trip to Italy several years ago. Our absolute favorite
> >> wine!
> >>
> >> My question is, if properly stored, how well does this keep OR do we need to
> >> drink it now? Since it's such a precious commodity, I hate to squander it
> >> on anything but a special occasion.
> >>
> >> Some Brunellos seem to do better than others. We had two bottles of an 86,
> >> one we drank in 2000, the other last year. The former was impeccable in
> >> body and in taste. The latter, while drinkable, lost much of it's character
> >> by holding on to it a little longer.
> >>
> >> Anyone had any experience with the 1997.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Randell Tarin

> > Hold for three to five years.

> From 1997 or from now?

With regard to the two 1986 bottles you had, if different producers,
different sources (and hence storage conditions/provenance) the
experience can vary dramatically with a mature wine.
As for 1997, it depends more on the producer (their quality and style)
than anything.
I opened my 1st of 12 bottles of the regular Col d'Orcia and it was
ready. I kind of wish I had opened one earler so I could have seen
more of the life or evolution of the wine but I would already call the
wine mature.
If you have a Risvera bottling, most are probably not going to be
ready for about another 3-5 years or so.
The biggest factor in the end is your palate. Mature wine is
definitely an acquired taste; I always try (sometimes unsuccessfully)
to err on the side of too soon rather than too late.

Peter
Dale Williams

A lot is going to depend on what wine we're talking about! A producer in a
modern style (Altesino, Gaja Pieve di Santa Restituta), a moderately modern
style (Banfi, Uccelliara), or a more traditional style (Tiezza, Scopetone)? I'm
assuming we're not talking riservas here.

As a gross generalization on the vintage, based on my tastes, my (probably
ill-founded) thought is that 1997 is not a vintage for very long aging in most
cases. Bigger than the 1996s, but without the balancing acidity of say the '95s
(my candidate for underated Brunello vintage of the 90s) & '99s (which I liked
from couple of tastings, but too small a sample) . Most '97s are too tannic
right now, but I'd say 10 years from now is outside limit of when I'll drink
any. I only have a few '97s, all single bottles, if I had to schedule now I'd
say Lecciaia and Banfi in 2 years, Antinori in 4-5, and Scopetone in 8-10. I'm
no fan of Biondi-Santi but if I had one I'd hold 20.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Vilco

James Dempster wrote:

>> Anyone had any experience with the 1997.

> No experience of the 97 but I had a Giocondo 88 Riserva in 2000
> and it was hard as nails. My other bottle is for 2008-12

Sorry, bot not recently enough.
Today, at the local supermarket, a colleague of mine saw a bottle of 1994 "Il Carlomagno" brunello di montalcino, bottled by MDA
s.r.l.
It came for 14.50 euros, so we bought it and drank it in our lunch break, with some help from other colleagues too , with with
some bread and prosciutto.
It was nicely aged, with all of the signs of a good ageing both in color, granada red in the middle of the glass and and brick-like
at the borders, and in nose, with a fantastic tertiary nose made of anything between leather and tobacco. The fruit was still
present, I'm so sorry I didn't recognize what it was..., but the surprise has been the strong fresh shoulder this Brunello exibited
while just open, and after some minutes the harsh tannins grew smoother and smoother, and the freshness went someway pleasantly
down. Drinking it in something more than an hour, it was velvet since the twentieth minute.
Very nice with parma ham and bread, this wine could have stood anything of really tasty, if not spicy

Vilco

TN: Meursault, Brunello, and CdR DaleW Wine 1 04-10-2009 12:01 PM
Brunello's 1997 renato Wine 5 19-12-2006 03:11 PM
97 Brunello di Montalcino Randell Tarin Wine 2 23-06-2006 02:35 AM
Brunello advice Thomas Curmudgeon Wine 7 24-04-2005 05:43 PM
Brunello in a Restaurant Dennis Russo Wine 6 04-06-2004 02:52 PM