D. Gerasimatos

Default 88 or 89 Leoville Las Cases?

I'd like to buy a bottle of wine as a gift and I've narrowed it down to
the 1988 or 1989 Leoville Las Cases. This is a favorite winery of mine,
but I haven't tasted these older vintages. The price is about the same
for both. Has anyone here tasted these? Recent tastings are even better.
I am leaning towards the 1989 based on Parker, but I have read some mediocre
reviews for it as well. The 1988 seems not as highly praised, but nothing
bad said about it either. Any comments are appreciated!

Dimitri

JB

Wine Spectator gives the 1988 a "95", an "89" and a "92" rating in 3
different tastings (1991, 1992 & and 1998 respectively. The 1989 scores "96"
and "90" in 1994 & 1999 samplings. I'd give the edge to the 1989 since this
was a better vintage but I think either would drink just fine.

Flip a coin and enjoy!

--

"D. Gerasimatos" > wrote in message

> I'd like to buy a bottle of wine as a gift and I've narrowed it down to
> the 1988 or 1989 Leoville Las Cases. This is a favorite winery of mine,
> but I haven't tasted these older vintages. The price is about the same
> for both. Has anyone here tasted these? Recent tastings are even better.
> I am leaning towards the 1989 based on Parker, but I have read some
> mediocre
> reviews for it as well. The 1988 seems not as highly praised, but nothing
> bad said about it either. Any comments are appreciated!
>

> Dimitri

Leoville Las Cases Vertical Tasting Lawrence Leichtman Wine 1 18-09-2006 05:38 PM
Cases Sibeer Wine 2 29-03-2005 04:53 AM
Cases Sibeer Wine 0 29-03-2005 04:52 AM
TN: 1981 Leoville-Las Cases [email protected] Wine 0 21-02-2005 03:45 AM
1982 Chateau Leoville Las Cases RV WRLee Wine 22 28-05-2004 07:18 AM