Cwdjrx _

Default What Wine Would You Most Like To Taste?

Most of us have heard of a wine we would like to taste, but are very
unlikely to have the chance to do so. Let us limit ourselves to wines
that might still be drinkable, although I and most woud like to taste
ancient Greek and Roman wines that were highly valued in their day. Also
you must drink the wine soon and can not sell it, so value and
increasing a collection are not an issue.

I would most like to taste the 1727 Rudesheimer Apostelwein from the
cask in the Ratskeller in Bremen. Of course this old cask has to be
refreshed from time to time to replace evaporation loss, but only very
little is ever drawn out for tasting. Michael Broadbent has been allowed
to taste it and describes it in detail in one of his books. The taste is
quite different from anything else you are likely to taste from Germany.
Broadbent rated it as 2-star for pleasure and 5-star for interest.

My mailbox is always full to avoid spam. To contact me, erase
from my email address. Then add . I do not
check this box every day, so post if you need a quick response.

Ancient Roman wine, for sure. It was probably sweeter than what we
drink today...

Ancient Roman wine, for sure. It was probably sweeter than what we
drink today...

To echo that, for some reason I have always been drawn to Cheval-Blanc
even though I've yet to taste it.
In particular, I would want to taste the
1947 Cheval-Blanc
1947 Huet Le Mont Mileu

Close runner-ups would be any of the DRC wines from 1978 (great year,
it's DRC and my birth year)

Peter

Ed Rasimus

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 18:10:25 -0600, (Cwdjrx _)
wrote:

>Most of us have heard of a wine we would like to taste, but are very
>unlikely to have the chance to do so. Let us limit ourselves to wines
>that might still be drinkable, although I and most woud like to taste
>ancient Greek and Roman wines that were highly valued in their day. Also
>you must drink the wine soon and can not sell it, so value and
>increasing a collection are not an issue.
>
>I would most like to taste the 1727 Rudesheimer Apostelwein from the
>cask in the Ratskeller in Bremen. Of course this old cask has to be
>refreshed from time to time to replace evaporation loss, but only very
>little is ever drawn out for tasting. Michael Broadbent has been allowed
>to taste it and describes it in detail in one of his books. The taste is
>quite different from anything else you are likely to taste from Germany.
>Broadbent rated it as 2-star for pleasure and 5-star for interest.

My wishes are much less specific than several of the responses I've
seen here. Those spoiled by years of tasting fine wines professionally
or as a perq of successful careers or inheritance might find my
desires a bit mundane and pedestrian, but we walk in the mocassins
we've brought.

First, let me note that I've still got a couple of wonderful memories
from my years in Europe--experiences that opened the door to wine and
impressed me with the potential of the grape. The most lasting was a
night at Lameloise in France during a five day trip that also included
Les Freres Troisgros and Alain Chapel. It was my first exposure to
"real" Burgundy. Two bottles accompanied that wonderful dinner and,
unfortunately as a beginner at the game, I failed to record the
details of vintage or bottler--my only recollection was that the first
was a Vosne-Romanee (drawing on Hugh Johnson's Pocket Guide
recommendation that "there are no bad wines from V-R"), and the second
a Grands Echezaux, which remains as the single most memorable wine
I've ever tasted. (Just by interpolation, the vintages would have been
around early '70s, since the year was 1980.)

That being said, here's my dreams of wines to taste and I offer them
without vintage ('cause I'm not smart enough to know the difference.)

1. Ch. Petrus
2. Ch. Margaux
3. A DRC
4. Ch. Y'Quem
(I've had a true Montrachet.)

See, I'm not that hard to please. And, my calendar is wide open....

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org

Anders Tørneskog

"Cwdjrx _" > skrev i melding
> Most of us have heard of a wine we would like to taste, but are very
> unlikely to have the chance to do so. Let us limit ourselves to wines
> that might still be drinkable, although I and most woud like to taste
> ancient Greek and Roman wines that were highly valued in their day. Also
> you must drink the wine soon and can not sell it, so value and
> increasing a collection are not an issue.
>
> I would most like to taste the 1727 Rudesheimer Apostelwein from the
> cask in the Ratskeller in Bremen.

So would I
My list would include
The Opiminian - a Roman wine reported to have kept for 125 years. I'd like
to have had it at, say 30 years. (time travel)
The Mouton -45, to compare head on with my -82
A DRC, any...
A Tokay Eszcencia, -53, say - compared with a d'Yquem of same vintage?
Have to stop, sigh..
Anders

Anders Tørneskog

"Cwdjrx _" > skrev i melding
> Most of us have heard of a wine we would like to taste, but are very
> unlikely to have the chance to do so. Let us limit ourselves to wines
> that might still be drinkable, although I and most woud like to taste
> ancient Greek and Roman wines that were highly valued in their day. Also
> you must drink the wine soon and can not sell it, so value and
> increasing a collection are not an issue.
>
> I would most like to taste the 1727 Rudesheimer Apostelwein from the
> cask in the Ratskeller in Bremen.

So would I
My list would include
The Opiminian - a Roman wine reported to have kept for 125 years. I'd like
to have had it at, say 30 years. (time travel)
The Mouton -45, to compare head on with my -82
A DRC, any...
A Tokay Eszcencia, -53, say - compared with a d'Yquem of same vintage?
Have to stop, sigh..
Anders

Pantheras

Anders Tørneskog wrote:

>>I would most like to taste the 1727 Rudesheimer Apostelwein from the
>>cask in the Ratskeller in Bremen.

> So would I
> My list would include
> The Opiminian - a Roman wine reported to have kept for 125 years. I'd like
> to have had it at, say 30 years. (time travel)
> The Mouton -45, to compare head on with my -82
> A DRC, any...

Anders there was a time not that long ago when the DRC could actually be
purchased by humans. In the early 80s, I attended a DRC dinner three
years in a row in San Mateo, CA that was put on by a local wine
merchant named Winemax. It was priced around $400US but certainly
worth every penny. It went the way of inflation with the Japanese Yen
dominating the DRC sales.
Cwdjrx _

Pantheras stated in part: "Anders there was a time not that long ago
when the DRC could actually be purchased by humans."

This is true of most wines. The DRCs in the 60s mostly cost under US$ 20
per bottle. Even the 1970 Romanee-Conti itself (decent, but not their
best year) cost under $50 and now sells for well over the equivalent of
US$ 1000. per bottle in London auctions, according to the most recent
Decanter. The much more recent, but very high quality and highly sought,
Romanee-Conti 1985 now brings 34100 Pounds per case of 12 bottles at the
London auctions, if you can find it at all. Even the 1985 DRC La Tache
is selling for well over the equivalent of $1000 at the same auctions. I
believe Chateau Palmer was going for around $US 5 in the early 60's. The
1959 Yquem cost me about $11 per bottle when it first came on the
market, and 1961 Lafite-Rothschild also cost about $11 per bottle. In
the 1960s and part of the 1970s it was no great burden for most people
with a high middle income to have very good wines all of the time and
top wines several times a year. Even a school teacher could afford some
decent wine. Most of my best wines were bought before there was such
extreme inflation in wine prices.

My mailbox is always full to avoid spam. To contact me, erase
from my email address. Then add . I do not
check this box every day, so post if you need a quick response.

Fred

I would like to be around to taste any wine from the 2100s.

Fred.
Anthony Hoare

Hi,

On 24 Dec 2004 08:02:48 GMT, Michael Pronay > wrote:

(Cwdjrx _) wrote:

>> Pantheras stated in part: "Anders there was a time not that long
>> ago when the DRC could actually be purchased by humans."

>I remember the WS issue some 10 years ago where both Lafite and
>Romanée-Conti 1990 were reviewed as new releases. WS stated the
>per bottle price of USD150 for Lafite, USD600 for Romanée-Conti.

When the premier tranche of '61s were released en primeur, Lafite
caused a storm, because they had broken the £2 a bottle price!! Sigh.
What a pity I wasn't interested in wine in those days. Mind you, my
weekly wage was around £6 so it's not clear I could have bought much
even if I had been interested

All the best
Ian
(To reply by email PLEASE don't use "Reply to" but
use my name at wanadoo.fr) Thanks.
Anthony Hoare

(Cwdjrx _) wrote:

>> Pantheras stated in part: "Anders there was a time not that long
>> ago when the DRC could actually be purchased by humans."

>I remember the WS issue some 10 years ago where both Lafite and
>Romanée-Conti 1990 were reviewed as new releases. WS stated the
>per bottle price of USD150 for Lafite, USD600 for Romanée-Conti.

When the premier tranche of '61s were released en primeur, Lafite
caused a storm, because they had broken the £2 a bottle price!! Sigh.
What a pity I wasn't interested in wine in those days. Mind you, my
weekly wage was around £6 so it's not clear I could have bought much
even if I had been interested

All the best
Ian
(To reply by email PLEASE don't use "Reply to" but
use my name at wanadoo.fr) Thanks.

Bill Loftin

Cwdjrx _ wrote:

> This is true of most wines. The DRCs in the 60s mostly cost under US$ 20
> per bottle. Even the 1970 Romanee-Conti itself (decent, but not their
> best year) cost under $50 and now sells for well over the equivalent of
> US$ 1000. per bottle in London auctions, according to the most recent
> Decanter. The much more recent, but very high quality and highly sought,
> Romanee-Conti 1985 now brings 34100 Pounds per case of 12 bottles at the
> London auctions, if you can find it at all. Even the 1985 DRC La Tache
> is selling for well over the equivalent of $1000 at the same auctions. I
> believe Chateau Palmer was going for around $US 5 in the early 60's. The
> 1959 Yquem cost me about $11 per bottle when it first came on the
> market, and 1961 Lafite-Rothschild also cost about $11 per bottle. In
> the 1960s and part of the 1970s it was no great burden for most people
> with a high middle income to have very good wines all of the time and
> top wines several times a year. Even a school teacher could afford some
> decent wine. Most of my best wines were bought before there was such
> extreme inflation in wine prices.

My first case of wine was a very good German wine that I purchased from
the German Embassy for $12us. Second case was Chat Belair for $32. And
then a case of the 1961 La Tour for $96. The early 60s were a feel good
time because we had been in a recession for a few years.
Bill Loftin

Cwdjrx _ wrote:

> This is true of most wines. The DRCs in the 60s mostly cost under US$ 20
> per bottle. Even the 1970 Romanee-Conti itself (decent, but not their
> best year) cost under $50 and now sells for well over the equivalent of
> US$ 1000. per bottle in London auctions, according to the most recent
> Decanter. The much more recent, but very high quality and highly sought,
> Romanee-Conti 1985 now brings 34100 Pounds per case of 12 bottles at the
> London auctions, if you can find it at all. Even the 1985 DRC La Tache
> is selling for well over the equivalent of $1000 at the same auctions. I
> believe Chateau Palmer was going for around $US 5 in the early 60's. The
> 1959 Yquem cost me about $11 per bottle when it first came on the
> market, and 1961 Lafite-Rothschild also cost about $11 per bottle. In
> the 1960s and part of the 1970s it was no great burden for most people
> with a high middle income to have very good wines all of the time and
> top wines several times a year. Even a school teacher could afford some
> decent wine. Most of my best wines were bought before there was such
> extreme inflation in wine prices.

My first case of wine was a very good German wine that I purchased from
the German Embassy for $12us. Second case was Chat Belair for $32. And
then a case of the 1961 La Tour for $96. The early 60s were a feel good
time because we had been in a recession for a few years.
Bill Loftin

Anthony Hoare wrote:

> When the premier tranche of '61s were released en primeur, Lafite
> caused a storm, because they had broken the £2 a bottle price!! Sigh.
> What a pity I wasn't interested in wine in those days. Mind you, my
> weekly wage was around £6 so it's not clear I could have bought much
> even if I had been interested

Now I feel like I was ripped off paying $8 us per bottle for the
61 La Tour when it hit the market.
The Lafite prices were always high in the US while the other top
wines rose slowly.

If I ever hit the lottery, I will try a genuine Tokaji or a TBA
Riesling. I would also try a Penfolds Grange to see if it's worth the
press clippings.

Dan-O

Joe Rosenberg

Anything especially Barolo/Barbaresco & Amarone from the 1930's and before.

1945 Bordeaux-only had Latour

Older vintages of Tokaji & D'Yquem and Porto

and Post prohibition -1960 California wines.

"If we could taste the wine in ancient glasses,
then we discover where our past is.
For reality is decadence,
or so it seems,
and we were lovers once,
in dreams."

--
Joe "Beppe" Rosenberg
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> If I ever hit the lottery, I will try a genuine Tokaji or a TBA
> Riesling. I would also try a Penfolds Grange to see if it's worth the
> press clippings.
>
> Dan-O

Kevin

I think I'd like to try:

Petrus,
Dominus,
and any wine James Bond (Sean Connery Bond) ever ordered. Especially when he
uses a Claret to catch a bad guy, because henchman can never know anything
about wines, although the nemesis is always allowed to have a well-stocked bar
on hand.

In vino veritas
http://openwine.net