Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Fine night, with suckling pig, Rhones, Rieslings

Monday no wine with feta creamed corn topped with shrimp, tomatoes, & poblanos.

On a hot Tuesday a good group met at Wus Wonton King on the edge of Chinatown. We had preordered a whole suckling pig (back skin cut off and served like Peking duck, then rest chopped up); we also had snow pea shoots, salted duck, clams in black bean sauce, green beans with pork, beef with bamboo shoots, squid and white anchovy, and probably more dishes I forgot. Really good value restaurant- we tipped 46% and total was $50 pp. Wine theme was Riesling and Rhone.

2015 Stein St. Aldegunder Himmelreich Riesling Kabinett Trocken
Lipsmacking crisp, ginger notes, fun. B/B+

2005 Donnhoff Norheimer Kirschheck Riesling Spatlese
A really excellent wine in that rich "05 style, but definitely holding a lot in reserve, mostly just get sweet rich fruit right now. A bit reduced at first. A B for this night, but lots of future, and I wish I owned this.

2001 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer Sonnenuhr Riesling Spatlese
What I love about "01- rich yet crisp, really in a good place, orange zest and apple with flint and chalk on finish, just a little incipient petrol.A-/B+

1989 Kramp €śAyler Kupp€ť Riesling Spatlese
Richer and more complex than a Kab from same producer/vintage a couple years ago. Perfectly mature, that Saar daintiness but no lack of power, apple and tropical fruit with flower notes and petrol. B+/A-

1988 JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese Goldkapsel (auction bottling)
I liked this, but maybe less than I would have expected. Softer acids, riper fruit, very tasty but not the superstar I thought from label. But didnt seem damaged. B+/B

To the Southern Rhones
1989 Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Red fruits, herby, not actually much brett in this bottle, good. Bill commented on how much fine sediment there was when he decanted. B+/B

1990 Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape
More animal, richer fruit, quite long. A-

1998 Rayas Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Perfumed, red cherries, some smoke and meat. This was not decanted and there was some fine sediment. B+

Northern Rhones

1978 Paul Jaboulet Aine €śThalabert€ť Crozes-Hermitage
Double-decanted at 3 PM (tons of fine silty sediment, glad I had stood up for a week or so).
Bacon and berries, some light barnyard, good acidic backbone. Gets peppery/spicy with some time in glass. A-

1989 Paul Jaboulet Aine €śLa Chapelle€ť Hermitage
Differing opinions on this one, but I thought a pretty strong showing. Ripe with just a hint of a roasted character, but not enough to detract. Black fruits, meat, nice balance- good acids, some rather supple tannins remaining. Others didnt like as much. A-

1998 Paul Jaboulet Aine €śLa Chapelle€ť Hermitage
A little raspy, cocoa and dark fruits, good but could use some time. B+

1986 Guigal €śLa Landonne€ť Cote-Rotie
Fruit hanging on, sharp acids, a piney note over the red fruit. A little tired but still offering some pleasure. B/B-

1998 Jamet Cote Rotie
Fine showing (last 2 times Id tried this were TCA infected bottles). Dark berries, flowers, grilled meats and a peppery/olive finish. Excellent length. A-

2001 Guigal Ex-Voto Hermitage
Oak is still there, but integrating. Powerful ripe fruit, olives, earth. Could use some time. B+

Fine night with fine people. No wine I wouldnt be happy to drink

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/p... ooK7O5_TNjgE

TN: Biryani night, with Rieslings, Burgs,and more DaleW Wine 0 23-03-2014 06:48 PM
TN: SOBER at Dan's with fine Bdx, Burgs, Rhones, etc DaleW Wine 3 08-08-2011 06:38 PM
A fine Wine for a fine dinner Thurston Howell III Wine 2 13-03-2005 09:09 PM
Suckling Pig L. Cook Barbecue 7 12-07-2004 10:52 PM
Suckling Pig Chef Barbecue 3 22-03-2004 11:00 PM