Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 3 Rhones, 2 Alsace, 2 Loire, 1 Burg at Peking Duck House

John T was in town from Santa Barbara, and Brad recruited folks from a Dec CalCab dinner from Johns last visit and a couple of others for a free form offline at Peking Duck House. A couple of cancellations (illness and work), but a nice crew of 5 met at PDH Thursday night. We enjoyed a couple of ducks, some beef with bamboo shoots, beans, and Chinese broccoli.
2015 Vacheron Sancerre
Young, ripe, very fruity, dont know Vacheron enough to know if that is style or its a vintage thing. B
1989 Zind-Humbrecht Riesling Turckheim
Pit fruits, ginger, some stony soil notes. This is Olivier but still in Leonard style. Good showing. B+/A-
1997 Zind-Humbrecht Clos St. Urbain Rangen de Thann Riesling
Intensely rich, honied, a bit fat and oily, Riesling as Marsanne/Viognier. B/B-

1999 Jamet Cote-Rotie
I quite liked this. Dark berry, smoke, pepper, a little tarry almost Nebbiolo note. A-/B+

1999 Texier Cote-Rotie
A little volatile and a lot sour at first. Time did it some good, though fruit maintained a sour cherry note. B (Actually held up well overnight, if you can handle some VA )

2002 Roumier Chambolle-Musigny
Organizer has apparently said €śwines Brad likes that go with duck€ť, I missed the first part. Red and black cherries, a little earth, a little sandalwood. This isnt super complex and you wont mistake for Amoureuses, but in a very nice place and what I look for in a mature village wine. B+/A- but an A for being what a village Chambolle can be. Will drink other soon. (Didnt hold well overnight.)

2001 Pegau €śReserve€ť Chateauneuf-de-Pape.
If more CdP was like this, Id drink more CdP. Just a bit of barnyard, red berry fruit, some leather. Not overripe, good finish. B+

2005 Pinon "Cuvee Botrytis" Vouvray
I didnt actually write anything down, but thought this was great and surprisingly ready. Honey, apricot, ripe peaches, good acidic spine, long finish. A-

Good night with good people.