Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Older Cal Cabs and other nice wines from Mark's 60th

First night in CA, Betsy made puttanesca, we were too tired to worry about wine. Wednesday we drove down to the Inn at Saratoga. Walked around Saratoga a while, then back to room. Rsin started, and quite the windy deluge by time we met friends in lobby to go to dinner. A quick but dramatic walk to the Plumed Horse for first installment of Mark's 60th celebration (poor Betsy had open-toed shoes)

1996 Dom Perignon Rose
Quite tasty, rich, strawberries and brioche, Long finish, gets minerally. Later wityh the scallops I have some of Betsy's, it's developed some blood orange and citrus zest notes. A-/B+

An amuse of smoked trout cannoli

2009 Pavillon Blanc du Ch. Margaux
Citrus, a little grass, a little honey. Not my fave. B-

First course of kampachi with cauliflower and romanesco sauce

2008 Mt Eden Chardonnay Reserve
Lovely, minerally, dare I say "Chablid-like" Really tasty. B+/A-

Next up with the most controversial dish, parmesan souffle with spanner crab and uni. Some hated, some loved, I was closer to latter though I thought the souflle a bit heavy (Betsy thought slightly undercooked)'

1989 Trimbach Cuvee Frederic Emile Vendange Tardive
Stuart thought this showed real RS - I didn't.to me just softened edges. Mineral, ginger, petrol, peach. A-/B+

1983 JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese
Honey, apricot (botrytis?), orange blossom. Faded quicker than I would have expected, but tasty, B/B+

Scallops with carrots and tangerine oil

1958 Inglenook F30 Cabernet Sauvignon
Mint, red fruits, cedar. Showing age but enjoyable. Andy said he'd had better showings. B

1956 Charles Krug Cabernet Sauvignon
Still fruit, but limp structure, some caramel. B-C+

1970 Conn Creek Cabernet Sauvignon? (trouble reading my scribble)
Good fruit, iodine, cedar, herb. A little short or this would be outstanding B

Duck breast with farro and passion fruit

1977 Martin Ray Howell Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon
plum ,leather, cedar, quite a bit of VA B

1980 Santa Cruz Mountain Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon
Very green, herby, more CF than CS, a bit thin B-

1985 Ridge Montebello
Lovely, complete, ripe and complex. A-

1955 Vallana Spanna
shot', not poured

1956 Monte Real Rioja (didn't note level)
Birthyear wine for Mark. Red fruit, spice, a little hint of dill, mature and lovely midweight. B+/A-

1967 Minuto Barbaresco
corked!

Beef tenderloin with a bordelaise sauce

1979 Mayacamas Cabernet Sauvignon
Black fruits, a little bell pepper, cedar. Mediumbodied, good finish. B/B+

1986 Rauzan Segla
Nice showing. Ripe dark fruits, tangy acids, cigarbox. A-

1978 Heitz Marthas's Cabernet Sauvignon
I enjoyed this a lot, but not as much as other recent bottle from same lot (travel?). Black cherry, spice, herbs. Nice length, plenty of structure left. A-/B+

Cheese was Cypress Grove truffle Tremor

John had brought a 2013 Bordeaux blend from his new venture which I enjoyed, but neglected to write down any details.

salted caramel mousse
1970 Climens
Plenty of life left. Creme brulee, apricot, honey. A-/B+

TN: Tasting at Ridge with Paul Draper (Mark's 60th) DaleW Wine 2 23-02-2016 09:02 PM
TN: 2 very unusual older wines cwdjrxyz Wine 1 12-07-2012 04:37 PM
TN: 3 older wines cwdjrxyz Wine 0 01-09-2010 08:54 PM
Three older wines Ken Blake Wine 3 20-09-2006 02:02 PM
TNs: A few older Cal Cabs, 83 Silver Oak, 84 & 85 Far Niente, 85 Smith-Madrone Eric White Wine 1 31-12-2003 03:06 PM