Posted to alt.food.wine

Default ....and a party broke out

A wine friend who recently relocated to Austin Texas called and said he would be in town so I hastily called a few friends to join us. An assortment of cheeses, mortadella and salumis, snacks and great local pizza (wine folks love pizza) magically started appearing with each ring of the doorbell. I kept very brief notes/imoressions of some imressive wines. Lots of laughs, very little serious wine talk save for the usual pinot versus cabernet which is better argument.

NV Krug Grande Cuvee Brut...great mousse, typical Krug flavor profile of toasted brioche and almonds. Lively acidity, lemon peel and flowers. B+

NV Krug Rose... beautiful nose of strawberries and cherries in marzipan pastry. Lively on the palate. Unmistakable Krug mature flavor profile. Delicious buttered toast with strawberry preserves and almond liquer. A

2007 Vina Ardanza Rioja Reserva...Wow.Tempranillo with a bit of Grenache (20% I was told) smooth and supple. Kirsch and blackberries. a real sleper that eveyone loved. B++

2002 Quilceda Creek Washington Cabernet Sauvignon...Totally balanced and seamless. Deep black fruit flavors. A bit of coconut on the nose with fresh herbs and blackfruits. I didn't love it but some did. "B"

2002 Phelps Insignia Napa Cabernet...Similar to the Quilceda Creek. A bit over oaked and pronounced herbal/grassy finish. Still a bit tannic and not resolved. Cassis and Napa dust. B-

2007 Renwood Zinfandel...This wine didn't have a chance. Spicebox, oaky vanilla and very primary and simple. C+

2011 Cayuse "Cailloux" Walla Walla" Syrah...Not my style of syrah. Huge, smokey, oaky, palate staining. Very primary with lush tannins. Big black fruit flavors, quite soft and flabby. Some gushed...me not so much. "B-

2011 Aubert Ritchie Vineyards Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir...Big dark and brooding. Quite rich and deep on the palate. Black cherry and Asian spices. Delicious and sumptuous with a nice balancing acidity...B++

2012 Faila Keefer Ranch Russian River Pinot Noir...Much lighter in the glass than the Aubert. Pale red with nose of mushrooms, flowers, some exotic spice and cherries. Gained weight with each sip. I enjoyed more than the Aubert. A

1992 Caymus SS Napa Cabernet...WOTN. Still quite youthful in the glass showing no age. Wonderful example of what Napa Cab can be. Complex nose of espresso, Napa dust, cassis, mint and leather. Resolved tannins with layers of flavors. deep blackberry to black cherry to minty chocolate, etc. A+

Good wine night and lots of fun.