Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The plate broke

Oval ceramic dish, supposedly oven proof, filled with tomatoes sprinkled
with Balsemic and sugar and put under the grill inside the oven. When
tomatoes the were cooked the dish was put on a wooden board and after the
tomatoes were served, it split from side to side. It was a fabvourite :-))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Farm1" > wrote in :

> Oval ceramic dish, supposedly oven proof, filled with tomatoes
> sprinkled with Balsemic and sugar and put under the grill inside the
> oven. When tomatoes the were cooked the dish was put on a wooden
> board and after the tomatoes were served, it split from side to side.
> It was a fabvourite :-))

Corningware?

I'll have to find some time, and inclination, and post my oven roasted
tomato recipe.

--
Peter
Tasmania

Success isn't so difficult.
Just bite off more than you can chew,
then go do it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"I'm back" > wrote in message
> "Farm1" > wrote in :
>
>> Oval ceramic dish, supposedly oven proof, filled with tomatoes
>> sprinkled with Balsemic and sugar and put under the grill inside the
>> oven. When tomatoes the were cooked the dish was put on a wooden
>> board and after the tomatoes were served, it split from side to side.
>> It was a fabvourite :-))
>>

> Corningware?

No thank Heavens! I'd be very distressed if any of my Corningware did that
after all the years of faithful service it's given me. Just some sort of
supposedly oven proof, ceramic, no name, white, thing-a-me-bob.

> I'll have to find some time, and inclination, and post my oven roasted
> tomato recipe.

I like Delia's recipe for them but was too lazy to dig out my book and check
what she really does with them - this was a slackers approximation and all I
could manage after weary day of working in the veg garden.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/27/2013 5:18 AM, Farm1 wrote:
> Oval ceramic dish, supposedly oven proof, filled with tomatoes sprinkled
> with Balsemic and sugar and put under the grill inside the oven. When
> tomatoes the were cooked the dish was put on a wooden board and after the
> tomatoes were served, it split from side to side. It was a fabvourite :-))

I'm sorry about your plate. Maybe you'll find a good one to
replace it. However, I don't think that oven proof ceramics are
necessarily broiler proof (I think that is what you're calling a
grill).

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 21:18:37 +1100, "Farm1" >
wrote:

>Oval ceramic dish, supposedly oven proof, filled with tomatoes sprinkled
>with Balsemic and sugar and put under the grill inside the oven. When
>tomatoes the were cooked the dish was put on a wooden board and after the
>tomatoes were served, it split from side to side. It was a fabvourite :-))

There are a couple of possibilities. First, it is oven proof, not
flame proof so the broiler could have done it in.

Second, it may have been stressed recently by dropping or hitting it
with something. It may not have broken at the time, but the first
time heated it will give way. Ceramics are sneaky that way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Second, it may have been stressed recently by dropping or hitting it
> with something. *It may not have broken at the time, but the first
> time heated it will give way. *Ceramics are sneaky that way.

I agree that the Corningware was probably not broiler proof. I have
found from experience that the best vessel to use with a broiler is
either a sheet pan lined with foil, or better yet, a pie pan lined
with foil. I have Corningware and use it for baking, never for
broiling.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young > wrote in
:

> On 1/27/2013 5:18 AM, Farm1 wrote:
>> Oval ceramic dish, supposedly oven proof, filled with tomatoes
>> sprinkled with Balsemic and sugar and put under the grill inside the
>> oven. When tomatoes the were cooked the dish was put on a wooden
>> board and after the tomatoes were served, it split from side to side.
>> It was a fabvourite :-))

> I'm sorry about your plate. Maybe you'll find a good one to
> replace it. However, I don't think that oven proof ceramics are
> necessarily broiler proof (I think that is what you're calling a
> grill).
>
> nancy

Yep, I use a stainless steel ex-drinks tray for doing my tomatoes.

BTW, I don't use the grill........ just the oven.

--
Peter
Tasmania
Australia

Success isn't so difficult.
Just bite off more than you can chew,
then go do it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/27/2013 5:18 AM, Farm1 wrote:
> Oval ceramic dish, supposedly oven proof, filled with tomatoes sprinkled
> with Balsemic and sugar and put under the grill inside the oven. When
> tomatoes the were cooked the dish was put on a wooden board and after the
> tomatoes were served, it split from side to side. It was a fabvourite :-))

I'm sorry you lost your plate. Perhaps you can find another one.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> Oval ceramic dish, supposedly oven proof, filled with tomatoes sprinkled
> with Balsemic and sugar and put under the grill inside the oven. When
> tomatoes the were cooked the dish was put on a wooden board and after the
> tomatoes were served, it split from side to side. It was a fabvourite :-))

I hate when that happens. It's always the "perfect" platter that you
use for just about *everything*. I don't tempt fate doing what you
did, but I placed a favorite platter on a burner once and accidentally
turned it on thinking I'd turned on another one... and walked off.
This was the first time I'd ever done anything quite that stupid in
the kitchen, so I wasn't aware of the consequences. I grabbed it off
the stove and placed it on a (dry) wooden cutting board thinking wood
would be better than my tile counter... and it shattered. I've never
found the perfect size and shape to replace it, but I've collected
quite a few nice platters in the attempt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/27/2013 11:09 AM, sf wrote:

> I hate when that happens. It's always the "perfect" platter that you
> use for just about*everything*. I don't tempt fate doing what you
> did, but I placed a favorite platter on a burner once and accidentally
> turned it on thinking I'd turned on another one... and walked off.

I accidentally did the same thing with a glass pie plate. The thing
exploded.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 23:24:34 -0500, Cheryl >
wrote:

> On 1/27/2013 11:09 AM, sf wrote:
>
> > I hate when that happens. It's always the "perfect" platter that you
> > use for just about*everything*. I don't tempt fate doing what you
> > did, but I placed a favorite platter on a burner once and accidentally
> > turned it on thinking I'd turned on another one... and walked off.

> I accidentally did the same thing with a glass pie plate. The thing
> exploded.

Very scary! I would have been shattered too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Farm1" >
wrote:

> Oval ceramic dish, supposedly oven proof, filled with tomatoes sprinkled
> with Balsemic and sugar and put under the grill inside the oven. When
> tomatoes the were cooked the dish was put on a wooden board and after the
> tomatoes were served, it split from side to side. It was a fabvourite :-))

Was it blessed for broiler use? :-(
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of December 23, 2012.