Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Ripa delle More 2005, Tuscany

Opened the second bottle I got from the wine store owner's recommendation in Trieste:

The cork had a very strong scent of dark 80% chocolate. More than I ever sniffed. After a while cigarbox emerged as well. The wine had a bit of dark cherry which was quickly tight down by tannins. So we poured it into a decanter and went downtown to buy a Palari Paro 2007 and have a glass of Henriot Blanc de Blancs at the wine bar connected to the wine store. Went back home and cooked fried potatoes, beef tenderloin steaks, and a concoction of onion, red bell pepper, mushrooms, barbera d'alba, a twig of rosemary, and in the end some heavy cream. The wine was now opening up. Dark dried amerena cherries, vanilla, chocolate, cigar, and after a while some resins showed up as well. Finish was only medium long, so 90 points is enough. This is not a very expensive wine so it fares quite well. 35E

Note on Henriot Blanc de Blancs

I had the Henriot Brut Sovereign as a welcome drink in the flight from san francisco to copenhagen and thought it was really nice. I dont frequently drink champagne because , like whites, I dont them boring and singular. I also dont even drink sodas. I normally go for spanish cavas, as they see some oak and develop some flavours, and are kinda brownish. But the Henriot did have some mouth fell (other than sparks). While sovereign is typical chard/pinot blend, blanc de blancs is pure chardonnay. It is slightly bitter and has notes of toasted bread. Stays in the mouth. 45 Euros.
I still think that a 45E redwine would give me more pleasure.

Note on Palari Paro:

Seems to be a cult wine and I see it on lists and books on the greatest wines of italian wine history. So I had to get one (45E)

http://www.doctorwine.it/en/det_arti...id_articolo=56

http://books.google.it/books?id=aDfU...page&q&f=false