Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Burgundy and Canary Islands

Saturday was a snowstorm but we picked up some friends and attended a dinner put together by friends. Greeting was crostini, some with Delice de Bourgogne & quince paste, others with smoked trout and creme fraiche. Wine was the NV Patrick Piuze Val de Mer Cremant de Bourgogne Extra Brut. Dry to point of austerity on its own, but with the canapes it went well- chalky, pear fruit, but slightly coarse mousse. B/B-
Next was an endive/beets/walnut salad, with the 2011 Terres Dorees (JP Brun) Beaujolais Blanc. Clean Chardonnay fruit, a little chalk and flint, midbodied and pleasant. B
Main course was beef Burgundy with sauteed vegetables, with the 2011 Piron Coteaux Bourguignons. I think Coteaux Bourguignons is “the appellation formerly known as Grande Ordinaire” and I’m told it’s 100% Gamay. Redder fruit, pepper, pleasant and light. B-
I had double-decanted a magnum of the 1993 Morot “Teurons” Beaune 1er before going over- on opening I thought it showed excessively tart and acidic. But a couple hours later we shared it around and found a nice Burg entering its maturity plateau- black cherry, acids still bright but not longer harsh, some smoke and earth. A pleasant surprise. B+

Sunday I made mussels with penne, wine was the 2011 Picq “Dessus la Carriere” Chablis. Round pear and apple fruit, a light saline note, moderate finish. B

No wine Monday as I had a late meeting, but Tuesday with roast salmon, spinach, and rice the 2002 Lafarge Bourgogne. Fully mature but not tired to me, red cherry, plum, a little exotic sandalwood note. Nice finish, very good for level. B+/B

I thought Betsy was making pork chops, but we actually sat down to veal chops with sage- along with potatoes, a nice salad with sauteed cremini, and the 2009 Monje Tradicional(Tacoronte- Acentejo). I think this is indigenous Canary Island grapes, but has a spicy Rhone like edge to it. Peppery, red berry fruit, juicy and easy to like. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 12/19/13 4:24 PM, DaleW wrote:

> Wine was the NV Patrick Piuze Val de Mer Cremant de
> Bourgogne Extra Brut. Dry to point of austerity on its own, but with
> the canapes it went well- chalky, pear fruit, but slightly coarse
> mousse.

I think that I have a bottle of this in the cellar. Thanks for the note.

> I had double-decanted a
> magnum of the 1993 Morot “Teurons” Beaune 1er before going over- on
> opening I thought it showed excessively tart and acidic. But a couple
> hours later we shared it around and found a nice Burg entering its
> maturity plateau- black cherry, acids still bright but not longer
> harsh, some smoke and earth. A pleasant surprise. B+

That's very nice to hear. I had a couple bottles of the '91 that both
turned out to be badly corked. I've been gunshy about this producer's
wines from that era since then.

Thanks for the notes, Dale.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW > wrote in
:

> I thought Betsy was making pork chops, but we actually sat down to
> veal chops with sage- along with potatoes, a nice salad with sauteed
> cremini, and the 2009 Monje Tradicional(Tacoronte- Acentejo). I think
> this is indigenous Canary Island grapes, but has a spicy Rhone like
> edge to it. Peppery, red berry fruit, juicy and easy to like. B

Some very interesting things being made nowadays in the Canary Islands. To
the well known off-dry white wines made with Malvasía in Lanzarote, a
couple of new projects of great interest from D.O. Valle de La Orotava, in
Tenerife, made from indigenous grapes such as Listán Negro, Baboso, Listán
Blanco and others.

One of them is Suertes del Marques and according to their website they are
imported into the U.S.A. by European Cellars.

http://www.suertesdelmarques.com/

Their wines have a burgundian side, and they are worth looking for.

s.