Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: blind tasting with some inexpensive red Burgs

Friday my local non-serious group met at Rob’s with the theme being Red Burgundy. Why the apertif was a Tuscan chardonnay puzzled me. The 2007 Fattoria di Montechiari Toscana IGT was fat,sweet, and short to me. C+

The Blind Wines
2011 Trapet Bourgogne
Mediumbodied, cranberry and raspberry, pleasant touch of woodsmoke. Unassuming and fun. B/B+

2001 Drouhin Chambolle-Musigny
Mine, I double-decanted before coming over but there wasn’t much sediment.. Red and black cherry, earth, a little sandalwood. More elegant than powerful, feminine, very tasty. B+/A-

2010 Dubois Bourgogne
I was guessing at a 2009 due to ripeness, Bourgogne striving for California, sweet fruit is all you,really notice, rather short. B-/C+

2005 Amiot Morey-St.Denis
This had some VA that didn't add to the package. Mediumbodied, redder fruits, a little barnyard, but the volatility is what really stands out. Rob says he bought this on my suggestion, I'll check in on my bottles soon. Storage? C+

2010 Lafouge “la Chapelle” Auxey-Duresses
I didn’t guess this, though I’ve had several times, but I did find lovely. Nice balance of acid, fruit, and tannin, good length, primary but delicious. B+/A-

2008 Bart “Les Sts. Jacques” Marsannay
Never had this bottling before, though I like Bart, but will look for. Very nice with full fruit, an exotic fragrance, nice balance, bright acids. B+

2009 Drouhin “Clos des Godeaux” Savigny-les-Beaune
Sappy, long for a village Savigny, mocha, red fruits, tasty. B+

There was one other Bourgogne (looks like name starts with Chev or Cheu) but I can’t read my writing, and note just says “short, simple, red fruited. B-/C+”

Fun night though

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default blind tasting with some inexpensive red Burgs

"DaleW" > wrote in message
Friday my local non-serious group met at Rob’s with the theme being Red
Burgundy.
-----------
My favorite, go-to, "inexpensive" red Burgundy is Dom. Arlaud "Roncevie".
This was a Gevrey-Chambertin Villages at one time but was downgraded to
Bourgogne status.
Excellent value.
Graham

TN: 9 St. Estephes blind (plus 2 white Burgs with labels in view) DaleW Wine 0 29-09-2016 06:56 PM
Blind Tasting Notes Bill S. Wine 2 27-07-2008 06:14 PM
blind tasting advice Tom Wine 20 03-11-2006 01:19 AM
TN: 01 Kab, Rueda, 2 inexpensive Burgs Dale Williams Wine 10 23-11-2004 05:06 PM
Blind Tasting Notes Bill Spohn Wine 1 10-11-2003 06:09 PM