Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 9 St. Estephes blind (plus 2 white Burgs with labels in view)

No wine (or meat) Monday- mushroom fried rice, ratatouille, salad.

Tuesday I headed to city for latest in our blind €śwhoever brings best wine gets free dinner€ť appellation series, this time St. Estephe was up. Dinner was at RiverPark overlooking the East River - they did a nice job.

As we gathered two white Burgundy 1ers went around.
2009 H. Boillot Meursault €śCharmes€ť
Broadshouldered but with good acids, rich, hazelnut and ripe pear, quite tasty. B+/A-

2002 Drouhin Puligny-Montrachet Folatieres
I was worried re premox, but though this showed fully mature there was only a little bit of nutty oxidation. Apples, lemon cream, almonds. OK, maybe in glass it advanced quickly, but I still enjoyed. B+
Some excellent charcuterie made the rounds

Blind St Estephe # 1
Medium bodied, ripe but with structure, good black currant fruit, easy tannins. B+/A-

I had excellent grilled quail as a starter.

Blind St Estephe # 2
Medium bodied, a little tannin, cocoa and black plum, not as long as #1 or #3. B

Blind St Estephe # 3
Complex, cassis and smoke, a bit of leather. A-/B+

My pasta was cavatelli with braised lamb and greens, tasty and wine friendly, just a bit oversalted

Blind St Estephe # 4
This was quite ripe, with a bit of barnyard (well within my tolerance, but some found it too much). I said Id guess Cali except for the bretty note, considering that this seemed more like a ripe old school Right Banker. B+

Blind St Estephe # 5
Somewhat hard, some good fruit lurking underneath, lots of structure. B

Blind St Estephe # 6
Maderized/cooked (and a little bretty) NR

My main was a Berkshire pork chop with grilled peaches and collards

Blind St Estephe # 7
Rich fruit, coffee, ripe, some tannin. B+

Blind St Estephe # 8
Rich, great texture, nice length, cassis and cigarbox. B+/A-

Blind St Estephe # 9
Corked

We voted, and #3 got 18 pts, #1 got 12 points, # 8 got 11 points, # 7 for 7 points.
Then we unveiled.

#1 1999 Cos dEstournel 2nd place
# 2 1999 Montrose
#3 1990 Cos dEstournel 1st place
#4 1989 Montrose
#5 1996 Cos dEstournel
#6 1985 Cos dEstournel (flawed)
#7 1999 Montrose 4th place
#8 1982 Calon Segur 3rd place
#9 1986 Cos dEstournel (flawed)

What are the chances Nano and I each brought a "99 Montrose? "99 is not my favorite vintage but they are drinking well now. Nano and I argued for a good while over whose bottle got votes and which didnt- #2 (no votes) had a Bordeaux Wine Locator back label neither of us remember, and neither of us bought from gray marketer.

Fun evening.