Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Recommenations for Northern Rhone and Loire winery visits

On 4/10/13 4:19 PM, Chris Sprague wrote:
> To make a long story short, after a 6 year hiatus, I will be
> returning to France in a few weeks, this time for my honeymoon, as I
> am getting married on May 4th.
>
> On my previous visit to France, partly on the advice of people in
> this group, I visited Clos des Cazaux, Chateau Beaucastel, and
> Domaine de l'Arjolle.
>
> Alas, Beaucastel is booked up, and we won't be going near Arjolle,
> but I will be re-visiting Cazaux and will be sure to buy some of
> their delectable botrytis white grenache dessert wine, Grains de
> Novembre!
>
> We will be driving from Avignon to Tours on Saturday the 11th, and
> thought we'd break up the monotony with a visit to one or two
> smallish, family run operations in the Northern Rhone. Our route
> will use the A7 as far as Givors, and then the A72 far enough to
> longer be in the northern Rhone.
>
> I favor Syrah equally as much as Viognier, and as much as I'd like to
> see Hermitage Hill, it isn't a must.
>
> We will be in the Loire from the 11th thru the 15th, and my wife to
> be is particularly fond of Sauvignon Blanc. I myself am enamoured
> with the region's Pinot Noir, Cab Franc, and Pineau d'Aunis. An
> eclectic mix of wineries there would be nice, as something to do in
> between visiting chateaux.
>
> What say all of you?

Congratulations, Chris!
In addition to the advice in the FAQ linked in my sig, I'd suggest
seeing if you can get in with the Gonon brothers in Mauves (in the St.
Joseph AOC) and Thierry Allemand in Cornas, both of whom make sensation
Syrahs.

The Loire Valley I note is missing from our FAQ, which is a major
oversight. My favorite producers there would be Baudry, Breton, Clos
Roche Blanche and Eric Nicolas's Dom. de Belleviere, but I haven't
visited any of them. Hopefully, Emery and/or Santiago will chime in
with some information here.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

replying to Mark Lipton , Château du Petit Thouars, Historic Loire Valley
Vineyard wrote:
If you get near Chinon and like Cabernet Franc don't hesitate to come for a
taste at Château du Petit Thouars. Our historic tasting room is open year
round and English is spoken at the domain -- we'd be very happy to share our
award-winning wines with you!
Check out our blog for future information!

Château du Petit Thouars
Saint Germain sur Vienne (La Chaussée)
Chinon, France
http://chateaudupetitthouars.wordpress.com

--
posted from
http://www.drinksforum.com/wine/reco...its-77672-.htm

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton > wrote in news:kk4l38$9gt$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

> The Loire Valley I note is missing from our FAQ, which is a major
> oversight. My favorite producers there would be Baudry, Breton, Clos
> Roche Blanche and Eric Nicolas's Dom. de Belleviere, but I haven't
> visited any of them. Hopefully, Emery and/or Santiago will chime in
> with some information here.

The problem with the Loire, and specifically about Pinot Noir + Cabernet
Franc is that you find Pinot Noir in what the French call "The Centre"
(Sancerre, Pouilly and surroundings) and Cabernet Franc around
Anjou+Saumur+Chinon.

And they are not very close.

I must admit that I have not been to the Sancerrois, because on my trips I
am always based on Angers and it is quite far to Sancerre.

Dagueneau, Vacheron, the Cotat cousins are probably the best producers in
the area. Alphonse Mellot also comes to mind.

For Cabernet Franc, the best is probably Clos Rougeard, but I have been to
the Loire 14 times in the last 12 years and I did not dare to ask for a
rendez-vous for the first 10 years. And the last few times I could not make
it even if I have some connections. Another opportunity next november.
We'll see.

Anyway my favorite producer is Bernard Baudry, whose son Matthieu speaks
English. They are friendly for French standards. Another good producers are
Thierry Germain (a producer making modern wines) in Saumur, Philippe Alliet
in Chinon, I had fond memories of Charles Joguet... (BTW, I never had luck
with Breton which I always found too bretty for my taste).

If planning the trip in advance, I think it would pay to get a copy of
Bettane and Desseauves yearly guide and read it carefully. It is a good
guidance as an starting point.

To purchase wines, I have always purchased wine at a small caviste called
"La Cave St. Aubin" in Rue St. Aubin in Angers. Expensive, but he used to
have a great selection. Now he is very much in the natural wine movement
and I think his selection is not that good.

There is a little chain of a few shops called "Vino Vini". One of those
shops was in Les Ponts de Ce (not very far from Angers) and I think the
owner had a connection with a Loire grower's association that made the
commercial function in a cooperative style. I always found interesting
wines there, and the prices were fine.

Also, in the outskirst of Angers, in a town called Avrille, there is a wine
wholesaler that also sells retail at very fair prices. You can download
their price list online. Beware this is not a fancy shop but more like a
warehouse. Do not expect a lot of help.

http://www.cave-des-vins-de-france.com/

s.
Posted to alt.food.wine

santiago wrote:

> For Cabernet Franc, the best is probably Clos Rougeard, but I have been to
> the Loire 14 times in the last 12 years and I did not dare to ask for a
> rendez-vous for the first 10 years. And the last few times I could not make
> it even if I have some connections. Another opportunity next november.
> We'll see.

Yes, I didn't mention Clos Rougeard because the Foucault brothers do not
usually take visitors (Nady Foucault has a reputation for not liking
Americans very much either).

Mark Lipton

Recommenations for Northern Rhone and Loire winery visits Emery Davis` Wine 0 05-07-2013 05:03 PM
Loire, Rhone and Italy at Dinner Bill S. Wine 0 07-06-2009 06:15 PM
Two Loire Visits Emery Davis Wine 3 02-03-2007 07:50 PM
TN: Cali, Loire, Burg, and Rhone DaleW Wine 0 30-08-2006 04:43 PM
TN: lower end Burgs, Bdx, Rhone, Loire DaleW Wine 7 30-01-2006 05:38 PM