Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: lower end Burgs, Bdx, Rhone, Loire

Betsy is back tonight, and it's about time- my stomach is complaining.
I've been pretty lazy this week- a few thawed leftovers from the
fridge, a couple quicky dishes , and even one frozen pizza (I was in a
hurry to feed David and I because I was taking a group into city).
Assorted mostly inexpensive wines:

2002 Ch. Bonnet (Bordeaux Blanc)
A bit green and grassy, citrus and green apple fruit. I'd go for a tad
more acidity, but a decent $8 white. Tastes more Sauvignon-y than
previous vintages. Used as a cooking wine for chicken breasts, but
acceptable at table. B/B-

2001 Vidal-Fleury Cotes du Rhone
Not a huge fan of Vidal-Fleury recently, but had read a very positive
note on this from a respected critic. A little smoke and some dark
berry fruit, but ultimately this feels a little flat, tired, and short.
I'll pass on any more. B-/C+

2003 Nicolas Potel "Cuvee Gerard Potel" Bourgogne Rouge
Ripe but not cartoonish, spice and cherries on the nose, black cherry
fruit with some light notes of damp soil and toast. I'm pretty down on
2003 Burgundy in general, but I do think that extra heat in some cases
helped on the lower end bottles while it might have hurt in more
favored terroir. This is a nice California Pinot Noir posing as
Burgundy. B

2004 Jean-Marc Brocard "Domaine Ste. Claire" Petit Chablis
Sweet-tart green apple fruit with a lemon twist, chalky mineral notes
on the finish. Pretty good for the appelation. Brocard seems to always
do well on the lower end. B

2004 Clos Roche Blanche Sauvignon
Clean gooseberry and mango fruit with just a hint of grass and flint.
Very good acidity, nice finish for the level. Very good QPR. B+

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

> 2004 Clos Roche Blanche Sauvignon
> Clean gooseberry and mango fruit with just a hint of grass and flint.
> Very good acidity, nice finish for the level. Very good QPR. B+

Was that the #5 or just the plain Jane Touraine? Jay Miller has
reported seeing the former for sale at CSW.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default lower end Burgs, Bdx, Rhone, Loire

"DaleW" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Betsy is back tonight, and it's about time- my stomach is complaining.
> I've been pretty lazy this week- a few thawed leftovers from the
> fridge, a couple quicky dishes , and even one frozen pizza (I was in a
> hurry to feed David and I because I was taking a group into city).
> Assorted mostly inexpensive wines:
>
> 2002 Ch. Bonnet (Bordeaux Blanc)
> A bit green and grassy, citrus and green apple fruit. I'd go for a tad
> more acidity, but a decent $8 white. Tastes more Sauvignon-y than
> previous vintages. Used as a cooking wine for chicken breasts, but
> acceptable at table. B/B-

Have you tried their claret? It's a bit rough but not bad. I tried a
bottle a few weeks ago and was struck by the taste of cassis on swallowing.
It just wasn't there on the nose or on initial sipping. I opened another
bottle a few days later and there were no cassis overtones whatever.
Graham

Posted to alt.food.wine

It's the regular Sauvignon. Is the #5 what used to be the Buster?

Posted to alt.food.wine

This is the 2002 rouge? I haven't had the rouge in a couple vintages,
but it's usually a reasonably dependable tipple for the price. Thanks
for note.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"DaleW" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> This is the 2002 rouge? I haven't had the rouge in a couple vintages,
> but it's usually a reasonably dependable tipple for the price. Thanks
> for note.

No. The 2001. As you say, reasonable for the price but I've found that
Ch.Clos de la Tour to be more dependable.

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote in
oups.com:

> This is the 2002 rouge? I haven't had the rouge in a couple
> vintages, but it's usually a reasonably dependable tipple for
> the price. Thanks for note.

I had the 2001 Chateau Bonnet Reserve a couple of times and it is a
very pleasent Bordeaux, certainly not New World in style and it will
keep for some years. It is selling for less then 10€ here in Austria.

My TN:
Nice Bordeaux nose, a slight green streak but cool and focussed. Good
acidity. Improved in the glass. Went well with the cheeses. Drinks
well now but should be decanted. Will keep and improve for some
years.

This wine even got a very favourable review from our esteemed M.
Pronáy (90Pt.).

Regards, Robert
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> It's the regular Sauvignon. Is the #5 what used to be the Buster?

It doesn't sound that way. Apparently, the regular cuvée is labeled in
Europe as #2, whereas the experimental batch is labeled as #5, a la Coco
Chanel. Where the Cuvée Buster comes into all this is, I cannot say.

Mark Lipton