Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Good priced Garncacha with pork and green mole question

I stupidly volunteered to be cellarmaster for our local IWFS group.
I am trying to find a good value Garnacha to drink with pork and a green mole for a IWFS wine dinner. Sticking to a Spanish theme for Mexican food dinner Cava Rose, Godello with seafood enchiladas and strongly considering a Garnacha with the pork. Would love a Rioja but I think the Garnacha may go better and be a better price. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 1/5/2013 2:59 PM, lleichtman wrote:
> I stupidly volunteered to be cellarmaster for our local IWFS group.
> I am trying to find a good value Garnacha to drink with pork and a green mole for a IWFS wine dinner. Sticking to a Spanish theme for Mexican food dinner Cava Rose, Godello with seafood enchiladas and strongly considering a Garnacha with the pork. Would love a Rioja but I think the Garnacha may go better and be a better price. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Las Rochas and Vina Alarba old vines are both readily available and on
the low end price wise. @$10US Evodia is also in this range but I find
it to be lacking in character- a touch sweet.

Personally I would look for a well priced Montsant or Priorat though I
would have no idea of what might me in your market.
Posted to alt.food.wine

lleichtman > wrote in
:

> I stupidly volunteered to be cellarmaster for our local IWFS group.
> I am trying to find a good value Garnacha to drink with pork and a
> green mole for a IWFS wine dinner. Sticking to a Spanish theme for
> Mexican food dinner Cava Rose, Godello with seafood enchiladas and
> strongly considering a Garnacha with the pork. Would love a Rioja but
> I think the Garnacha may go better and be a better price. Any
> suggestions would be appreciated.

For a light Garnacha I would suggest Bodegas Nekeas "El Chaparral de Vega
Sindoa" (D.O. Navarra). From D.O. Campo de Borja, Borsao "Tres Picos" is a
favorite of mine with quite some elegance and not overly oaked. Most wines
from Borsao are good quality and excellent price.

Stronger profiles, with riper fruit, more modern style, could be the wines
from Bodegas Alto Moncayo:

- Alto Moncayo "Veraton"

- Alto Moncayo "Alto Moncayo"

Those two are from the Jorge Ordoņez Portfolio and therefore supposedly
available in the States. They are not really inexpensive (around 20-30 euro
in Spain).

Probably Las Rocas de San Alejandro would be your best bet for the price
and the quality.

s.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jan 5, 5:32*pm, santiago > wrote:
> lleichtman > wrote :
>
> > I stupidly volunteered to be cellarmaster for our local IWFS group.
> > I am trying to find a good value Garnacha to drink with pork and a
> > green mole for a IWFS wine dinner. Sticking to a Spanish theme for
> > Mexican food dinner Cava Rose, Godello with seafood enchiladas and
> > strongly considering a Garnacha with the pork. Would love a Rioja but
> > I think the Garnacha may go better and be a better price. Any
> > suggestions would be appreciated.

> For a light Garnacha I would suggest Bodegas Nekeas "El Chaparral de Vega
> Sindoa" (D.O. Navarra). From D.O. Campo de Borja, Borsao "Tres Picos" is a
> favorite of mine with quite some elegance and not overly oaked. Most wines
> from Borsao are good quality and excellent price.
>
> Stronger profiles, with riper fruit, more modern style, could be the wines
> from Bodegas Alto Moncayo:
>
> - Alto Moncayo "Veraton"
>
> - Alto Moncayo "Alto Moncayo"
>
> Those two are from the Jorge Ordoņez Portfolio and therefore supposedly
> available in the States. They are not really inexpensive (around 20-30 euro
> in Spain).
>
> Probably Las Rocas de San Alejandro would be your best bet for the price
> and the quality.
>
> s.

I've had both of the Ordonez wines and prefer the Alto Moncayo "Alto
Moncayo" over the Veraton.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 8:03:45 AM UTC-7, Bi!! wrote:
> On Jan 5, 5:32*pm, santiago > wrote:
>
> > lleichtman > wrote :

> > > I stupidly volunteered to be cellarmaster for our local IWFS group.

> > > I am trying to find a good value Garnacha to drink with pork and a

> > > green mole for a IWFS wine dinner. Sticking to a Spanish theme for

> > > Mexican food dinner Cava Rose, Godello with seafood enchiladas and

> > > strongly considering a Garnacha with the pork. Would love a Rioja but

> > > I think the Garnacha may go better and be a better price. Any

> > > suggestions would be appreciated.

> > For a light Garnacha I would suggest Bodegas Nekeas "El Chaparral de Vega

> > Sindoa" (D.O. Navarra). From D.O. Campo de Borja, Borsao "Tres Picos" is a

> > favorite of mine with quite some elegance and not overly oaked. Most wines

> > from Borsao are good quality and excellent price.

> > Stronger profiles, with riper fruit, more modern style, could be the wines

> > from Bodegas Alto Moncayo:

> > - Alto Moncayo "Veraton"

> > - Alto Moncayo "Alto Moncayo"

> > Those two are from the Jorge Ordoņez Portfolio and therefore supposedly

> > available in the States. They are not really inexpensive (around 20-30 euro

> > in Spain).

> > Probably Las Rocas de San Alejandro would be your best bet for the price

> > and the quality.

> > s.

> I've had both of the Ordonez wines and prefer the Alto Moncayo "Alto
>
> Moncayo" over the Veraton.

I too like the Moncayo but way out of the price range we are trying to reach.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jan 8, 11:01*am, lleichtman > wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 8:03:45 AM UTC-7, Bi!! wrote:

> > > For a light Garnacha I would suggest Bodegas Nekeas "El Chaparral de Vega

> > > Sindoa" (D.O. Navarra). From D.O. Campo de Borja, Borsao "Tres Picos" is a

> > > favorite of mine with quite some elegance and not overly oaked. Most wines

> > > from Borsao are good quality and excellent price.

> > > Stronger profiles, with riper fruit, more modern style, could be the wines

> > > from Bodegas Alto Moncayo:

> > > - Alto Moncayo "Veraton"

> > > - Alto Moncayo "Alto Moncayo"

> > > Those two are from the Jorge Ordoņez Portfolio and therefore supposedly

> > > available in the States. They are not really inexpensive (around 20-30 euro

> > > in Spain).

> > > Probably Las Rocas de San Alejandro would be your best bet for the price

> > > and the quality.

> > > s.

> > I've had both of the Ordonez wines and prefer the Alto Moncayo *"Alto

> > Moncayo" over the Veraton.

> I too like the Moncayo but way out of the price range we are trying to reach.- Hide quoted text -

Borsao Tres Pico's is perhaps my favorite under $15
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wednesday, January 9, 2013 7:25:37 AM UTC-7, Bi!! wrote:
> On Jan 8, 11:01*am, lleichtman > wrote:

> > > I've had both of the Ordonez wines and prefer the Alto Moncayo *"Alto

> > > Moncayo" over the Veraton.

> > I too like the Moncayo but way out of the price range we are trying to reach.- Hide quoted text -

> Borsao Tres Pico's is perhaps my favorite under $15

That's the one I decided to go with. We buy 2 cases so get a really good price for it. We are buying 6 total cases of wine so I am expecting a decent discount. Turns out the Godello is the most expensive.
Posted to alt.food.wine

lleichtman > wrote in
:

> That's the one I decided to go with. We buy 2 cases so get a really
> good price for it. We are buying 6 total cases of wine so I am
> expecting a decent discount. Turns out the Godello is the most
> expensive.

Which Godello have you selected?

s.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thursday, January 10, 2013 12:18:38 PM UTC-7, santiago wrote:
> lleichtman > wrote in
>
> :
>

> > That's the one I decided to go with. We buy 2 cases so get a really

> > good price for it. We are buying 6 total cases of wine so I am

> > expecting a decent discount. Turns out the Godello is the most

> > expensive.

> Which Godello have you selected?
>

> s.

Louro Do Bolo
Posted to alt.food.wine

lleichtman > wrote in news:e4624bb2-dc3a-425e-
:

> Louro Do Bolo

Excellent choice from the best producer in Valdeorras, if I may say so, and
understandably not very cheap. The same producer makes a cheaper wine
called "Bolo Mountain Wine". Is it sold in the U.S.?

s.

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW > wrote in
:

> I've never seen the Bolo Mountain, just the As Sortes and the Louro do
> Bolo. Good producer!

I used to prefer Louro to As Sortes, which is good considering the prices
of both wines. And then one day I had an As Sortes with a couple of years
of bottle age and, wow. Now I usually buy a couple of bottles of As Sortes
every year just to drink two years later.

I may say that in Spain it is difficult to find aged whites in wine lists
or shops, because most customers believe that white always has to be from
the last harvest.

s.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thursday, January 10, 2013 3:59:17 PM UTC-7, santiago wrote:
> DaleW > wrote in
>
> :
>

> > I've never seen the Bolo Mountain, just the As Sortes and the Louro do

> > Bolo. Good producer!

> I used to prefer Louro to As Sortes, which is good considering the prices
>
> of both wines. And then one day I had an As Sortes with a couple of years
>
> of bottle age and, wow. Now I usually buy a couple of bottles of As Sortes
>
> every year just to drink two years later.
>

> I may say that in Spain it is difficult to find aged whites in wine lists
>
> or shops, because most customers believe that white always has to be from
>
> the last harvest.
>

> s.

One of my favorite Spanish whites is usually found aged at that is the Mas de Encompte Priorat.