Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: mostly dull wines in mostly wet Scotland

Betsy, her mom, her cousin Nancy, and I flew to Europe for Dave’s graduation last week. On Air France there was a forgettable Chardonnay from the VdP d’Oc that I’ve already forgotten. Then Paris to Edinburgh, where I got my first taste of left side of the road driving. We checked into the MacDonald Holyrood, and enjoyed walking around the city. For dinner we chose Stac Polly just off the Royal Mile. A good meal (I started with haggis bonbons, plus guinea hen in a white Burg/mushroom sauce)- as mains spanned a large variety, went with a bottle of rose, the 2011 La Bourette. I prefer my pinks with a bit more zip and vim, but this was not bad. B-

Friday was rainy, we spent the AM in Edinburgh then drove to St. Andrews. Found our cottage (charming, spacious, great rural location, but no phone, cell service, or internet- but there was a red BT Dr Who box on road in front), headed into town to meet David. We cruised out to see David and Mary Kate’s cottage (rustic, but incredibly beautiful setting- surrounded by farm land and forest, about 6 minute walk to North Sea).

Oh yes, wine. I’ll say that wine pricing in St Andrews is scary. The Tesco Metro has mostly Tesco brands, Tesco selections, and dull negoce stuff. Morrison’s is a bewildering bunch of labels I’ve never heard of (even in regions I know well), with an apparent concentration in vignerons with same last name as famous one (the other Ogier etc) . Luvians - an actual wine/liquor store- had some interesting stuff- LdH, Meo, etc.- but pricing was a little more than dollar pricing is here except in pounds (i.e. LdH Cubillo for 21 pounds)!. I drank less this week.

Restaurant wines.
First night we were exhausted and just hit Pizza Express (wasn’t actually bad pizza). I had a glass of dull Fiano that was disjointed, but Betsy got a nice enough glass of Grillo/Chardonnay blend (missed producer). We had lunch one day at the Adamson, upscale place where Dave and Mary Kate work. I had an excellent nicoise salad (perfectly grilled tuna), and ordered a glass of the 2010 Gerald et Philibert Talmard Macon-Uchizy. Lovely midbodied Macon- crisp, rich, just a whisper of oak, long minerally finish. B++
We went to Nam Jihm the night of graduation (with Dave’s dad making 7), really unexciting list, but I ordered a bottle of NV Ruggeri Prosecco for a toast (hey, I wouldn’t have normally gone for that, but the other bubbly choices were an English “Champagne” I’d never heard of for 50 pounds and Moet Imperial for 78 pounds). Light, appley, light petillance, inoffensive. B-/C+

Cottage Wines.
We mostly ate in:
2011 Ocean’s Edge Sauvignon Blanc (Marlborough)
Clean, simple, quite ok for 5 pounds. B-

2009 Monte Real Malbec-Shiraz
Hot, disjointed, with a chemical edge. Overpriced at 5. C-

2009 Chivite Gran Fuedo rosado - chosen to go with bouillabaisse (wine store had no Provencal rose, I bought this without noting vintage), going a tad dull, but decent rose that should have been drunk up. B-

2008 Tissot (A & M Tissot, wine made by Stephane T) Arbois Chardonnay
With roast chicken, rice, and salad, this was probably wine of the week. Rich but lively, pear and fennel, nice mouthfeel, excellent length. B++

Monday Nancy made mujadarra, we opened the 2010 Vermorel Morgon. I love cru Beaujolais, but it’s good to be reminded not all are that good, consider myself reminded. Generic, short, anonymous red wine. C+

2009 Ch. des Jacques (Jadot) “Clos de Loyse” Bourgogne
The des Jacques makes me wonder if this is Beaujolais, but doesn’t really resemble the Brun which is only white Bojo I buy. This is a fairly full, ripe version of Chardonnay, pear and apple and white flowers, a bit of oak, good. B

2006 Uggiano Chianti Classico Riserva
Woody and dull, this comes across as needing a spine. I wish I’d had another option to pair with my spaghetti with meat sauce once I tasted. Did ok in an herb sauce next night/ C+

2010 La Vieille Ferme rouge
Screwcapped, bright cherries, decent. Went ok with lamb chops in herb sauce, potatoes, and salad. B-

OK, so absent the Talmard and Tissot not a very exciting week of wine. But a good week overall- I quite enjoyed both Edinburgh and St. Andrews (for an American the depth of European history is always so amazing). Really a thrill to be there for his graduation - ceremony steeped in 600 years of history, cool to see Noam Chomsky and AS Byatt getting honorary degrees, and the best graduation speech I’ve ever heard (from an English professor who is a neighbor of David- anyone who can use the phrase “ the building where these gentlemen polish their medieval maces- thankfully, that is not a euphemism” wins points from me). I didn’t kill anyone on roundabouts or lefthand driving (even with flooded roads). That’s good enough!

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Welcome to Britain

Next time put out a shout for reccos on the UK Wine Forum - I am sure
you could have done better wine-wise.

Tesco and Morrision's are definitely to be avoided when it comes to
wine. Luvians is quite well known, but I have no idea if is is regarded
as expensive - prices do vary a lot from shop to shop here. There are
some great wine shops and restaurants in Edinburg - based on what others
have said - haven't tried them myself.

The English "Champagne" you never heard of was probably a pretty good
bet, but I suppose Prosecco is safe at least.

--
www.winenous.co.uk
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sunday, June 24, 2012 11:33:06 AM UTC-4, Steve Slatcher wrote:
> Welcome to Britain
>
> Next time put out a shout for reccos on the UK Wine Forum - I am sure
> you could have done better wine-wise.
>
> Tesco and Morrision's are definitely to be avoided when it comes to
> wine. Luvians is quite well known, but I have no idea if is is regarded
> as expensive - prices do vary a lot from shop to shop here. There are
> some great wine shops and restaurants in Edinburg - based on what others
> have said - haven't tried them myself.
>
> The English "Champagne" you never heard of was probably a pretty good
> bet, but I suppose Prosecco is safe at least.
>
> --
> www.winenous.co.uk

Luvians was small, but a very nice selection in certain areas (I saw producers such as LdH, Meo-Camuzet, Fontodi, Ridge, etc), but prices were quite high by my standards. And some areas I thought were weak- Loire seemed to be second tier producers, and when looking for a Provencal rose closest they could come - only still pinks- were a 2 vintage old Chivite and a P45. I'll admit my reluctance to splurge was also influenced by fact that my MiL and Betsy's cousin really were happy with any glass, and I was often driving after dinner, so thought of paying $50+ for a bottle of Meo-Camuzet Bourgogne that I'd have one glass of seemed not in my self-interest. Similarly, while I would have liked to try the English "Champagne' (I've enjoyed Nyetimber and one other), it was 52 pounds at restaurant, and since I was only person who cared the cheaper Prosecco seemed wiser.

If we visit David again (they're staying another year, he's getting an M. Litt in Shakespeare studies) my plan would be to research better shops in Edinburgh, and load up before going to St Andrews- D and MK would be happy with any extras.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 25/06/2012 13:50, DaleW wrote:

Understood.

Nyetimber and Ridgeview seem to be the English sparkling wines with a
reputation. But I have have some uninspiring glasses from both places.
I can only assume there is a lot of vintage variation. More recently
I have enjoyed sparkling wines from Gusbourne and Chapel Down.

--
www.winenous.co.uk

TN: old rose, dull NY wine, and a few better wines DaleW Wine 4 24-06-2014 08:39 PM
TN: Burgs, plus California wines, Tuscan pink, NZ PN, dull RB Bdx DaleW Wine 0 30-09-2012 06:58 PM
RFC IS Dull Brooklyn1 General Cooking 0 22-09-2012 02:03 PM
TN: Good MSR and Sicilian wines, ok Bdx and BdM, dull Loire DaleW Wine 2 14-01-2012 12:03 AM
TN: rather dull wines- CA PN and '03 Chianti DaleW Wine 0 26-10-2005 07:24 PM