>
> Next time put out a shout for reccos on the UK Wine Forum - I am sure
> you could have done better wine-wise.
>
> Tesco and Morrision's are definitely to be avoided when it comes to
> wine. Luvians is quite well known, but I have no idea if is is regarded
> as expensive - prices do vary a lot from shop to shop here. There are
> some great wine shops and restaurants in Edinburg - based on what others
> have said - haven't tried them myself.
>
> The English "Champagne" you never heard of was probably a pretty good
> bet, but I suppose Prosecco is safe at least.
>
> --
> www.winenous.co.uk

Luvians was small, but a very nice selection in certain areas (I saw producers such as LdH, Meo-Camuzet, Fontodi, Ridge, etc), but prices were quite high by my standards. And some areas I thought were weak- Loire seemed to be second tier producers, and when looking for a Provencal rose closest they could come - only still pinks- were a 2 vintage old Chivite and a P45. I'll admit my reluctance to splurge was also influenced by fact that my MiL and Betsy's cousin really were happy with any glass, and I was often driving after dinner, so thought of paying $50+ for a bottle of Meo-Camuzet Bourgogne that I'd have one glass of seemed not in my self-interest. Similarly, while I would have liked to try the English "Champagne' (I've enjoyed Nyetimber and one other), it was 52 pounds at restaurant, and since I was only person who cared the cheaper Prosecco seemed wiser.

If we visit David again (they're staying another year, he's getting an M. Litt in Shakespeare studies) my plan would be to research better shops in Edinburgh, and load up before going to St Andrews- D and MK would be happy with any extras.