Posted to alt.food.wine,rec.food.drink

Default ancient cocktails

I remember reading, maybe a year ago, about somebody with
a drink blog, who had one of the first cocktail recipe books ever
written, around 1880. He was going through it, one per day,
and reviewing each one.

Anybody know who that might be, which Web site?

--
Rich
Posted to alt.food.wine,rec.food.drink

On Jan 19, 11:51*pm, RichD > wrote:
> I remember reading, maybe a year ago, about somebody with
> a drink blog, who had one of the first cocktail recipe books ever
> written, around 1880. *He was going through it, one per day,
> and reviewing each one.
>
> Anybody know who that might be, which Web site?

I do not know a url for the site that interests you. However I do know
of sources for reprints of old drink books as well as for bitters and
some spirits used in the 1800s and now somewhat difficult to find.

There are several cocktail book reprints from the late 1800s. One of
the most famous is by Jerry Thomas, but a source I know is now out of
stock of the reprint. The site
http://www.cocktailkingdom.com/ has several reprints and a huge
collection of bitters. The site http://www.drinkupny.com has many
reprints of old books , many bitters, and many spirits used in the
late 1800s and early 1900s that now are difficult to find in many
places including high quality absinthe, Old Tom Gin, Creme Yvette,
etc.

ancient cocktails RichD General 1 21-01-2012 12:17 AM
Ancient Vita-Mix notbob General Cooking 13 09-09-2011 10:02 PM
Ancient recipes. Ross@home Preserving 7 28-07-2010 11:05 PM
Ancient barbarian meals Adam Ben Nalois Historic 9 22-01-2004 01:21 AM