Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ancient Vita-Mix

Dug it out. Wow! 80s vintage. Parts no longer available, etc. But,
looks to be in good shape. SS vessel/base with side spout. Blades
rather than the pivoting hammers I recall from early adds, but old
"instant reverse" switch I also remember. Ten speeds --5 forward, 5
reverse-- from "puree ball bearings" to "rule the world". Only 9 C
capacity, so can't do entire human body smoothies, though the motor
base looks capable. Vessel soaking now since probably hasn't seen
daylight in 10 yrs. I'll keep ya' posted.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sep 6, 2:26*pm, notbob > wrote:
> Dug it out. *Wow! *80s vintage. *Parts no longer available, etc. *But,
> looks to be in good shape. *SS vessel/base with side spout. *Blades
> rather than the pivoting hammers I recall from early adds, but old
> "instant reverse" switch I also remember. *Ten speeds --5 forward, 5
> reverse-- from "puree ball bearings" to "rule the world". *Only 9 C
> capacity, so can't do entire human body smoothies, though the motor
> base looks capable. *Vessel soaking now since probably hasn't seen
> daylight in 10 yrs. *I'll keep ya' posted. *
>
> nb *

check on eBay, you never know, you might find a larger capacity carafe
and replacement parts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sep 6, 2:26*pm, notbob > wrote:
> Dug it out. *Wow! *80s vintage. *Parts no longer available, etc. *But,
> looks to be in good shape. *SS vessel/base with side spout. *Blades
> rather than the pivoting hammers I recall from early adds, but old
> "instant reverse" switch I also remember. *Ten speeds --5 forward, 5
> reverse-- from "puree ball bearings" to "rule the world". *Only 9 C
> capacity, so can't do entire human body smoothies, though the motor
> base looks capable. *Vessel soaking now since probably hasn't seen
> daylight in 10 yrs. *I'll keep ya' posted. *
>
> nb *

yup here's some stuff

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-09-06, ImStillMags > wrote:

> yup here's some stuff

I figure I'll jes have a local welder weld up the hole left when I
romove the spout, an essentially useless feature. Otherwise, looks
like it could smoothie an entire field of bamboo.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

>Dug it out. Wow! 80s vintage. Parts no longer available, etc. But,
>looks to be in good shape. SS vessel/base with side spout. Blades
>rather than the pivoting hammers I recall from early adds, but old
>"instant reverse" switch I also remember. Ten speeds --5 forward, 5
>reverse-- from "puree ball bearings" to "rule the world". Only 9 C
>capacity, so can't do entire human body smoothies, though the motor
>base looks capable. Vessel soaking now since probably hasn't seen
>daylight in 10 yrs. I'll keep ya' posted.
>
>nb

Vita-Mix might want it for their museum, they may trade you for a new
modern model... can't hurt to inquire.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/6/2011 5:26 PM, notbob wrote:

> Dug it out. Wow! 80s vintage. Parts no longer available, etc. But,
> looks to be in good shape. SS vessel/base with side spout. Blades
> rather than the pivoting hammers I recall from early adds, but old
> "instant reverse" switch I also remember. Ten speeds --5 forward, 5
> reverse-- from "puree ball bearings" to "rule the world". Only 9 C
> capacity, so can't do entire human body smoothies, though the motor
> base looks capable. Vessel soaking now since probably hasn't seen
> daylight in 10 yrs. I'll keep ya' posted.

Sounds like mine. I like the reverse feature because I haven't seen that
on regular home kitchen blenders.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> Dug it out. Wow! 80s vintage. Parts no longer available, etc. But,
> looks to be in good shape. SS vessel/base with side spout. Blades
> rather than the pivoting hammers I recall from early adds, but old
> "instant reverse" switch I also remember. Ten speeds --5 forward, 5
> reverse-- from "puree ball bearings" to "rule the world". Only 9 C
> capacity, so can't do entire human body smoothies, though the motor
> base looks capable. Vessel soaking now since probably hasn't seen
> daylight in 10 yrs. I'll keep ya' posted.
>
> nb

Sounds like the one I just bought, 'cept mine is only 3 speeds forward
and 3 reverse. The spigot is useless; maybe the rubber is swelled or
something. Other than that, it works good. Did you find the wooden
tamper for it? That's an important piece, but you can make one from a
couple of dowels.

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-09-07, Ophelia > wrote:

> I just looked at local prices! £436!!!

Yes. The factory will rebuild the vessel for a mere $135. Actually,
doesn't look like it needs it, yet. The spout doesn't appear to be
leaking.

I'll try pureeing some granite, later today.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-09-07, Doug Freyburger > wrote:

> Where can you find a harbor seal so small it fits in a nine cup blender
> jar? I figure the seals are safe from this thing, same as the humans.

Try googling a recipe for Christmas Seals®.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>
>> Where can you find a harbor seal so small it fits in a nine cup blender
>> jar?

> Try googling a recipe for Christmas Seals®.

Ah. They are much more grown up by the time they become Easter Seals.
That's why I was confused. #;^)%

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

So.....?? didya make a green smoothie? How did it work for you?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-09-08, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Sep 6, 2:26*pm, notbob > wrote:

> So.....?? didya make a green smoothie? How did it work for you?

Not yet. Still trying to find a combination that doesn't turn my
stomach!

Seriously, had an ongoing mom crises this morning plus trying to get
the food sorted out. Haven't even put new veggies away, yet. Hadda
throw out some food and make room. I DID sneak in the boxed tabouli.
Gotta add tomatoes and lemons juice between background probs.

I also remembered I bought a mango and a garnet yam and still have
some frozen blackberries. When I get around to it, it's gonna be
good! I also have some cans of coconut milk (/w cream). Is that a
good liquid to sub in place of dairy?

nb
Banned

Location: Philadelphia, PA
Smile

Coconut milk is a great substitute for dairy but be careful cuz you have to like the taste of coconut. I use coconut water which picks up the flavor of whatever I am using in my Vita mix.

I add spinach to the smoothie but just a handful and if you like pineapple you will taste that instead of the green stuff. I put my smoothie in a blue glass in the beginning so I didn't stare at the green.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sep 9, 9:06*am, Carol Peer <Carol.Peer.
> wrote:
> Coconut milk is a great substitute for dairy but be careful cuz you have
> to like the taste of coconut. I use coconut water which picks up the
> flavor of whatever I am using in my Vita mix.
>
> I add spinach to the smoothie but just a handful and if you like
> pineapple you will taste that instead of the green stuff. I put my
> smoothie in a blue glass in the beginning so I didn't stare at the
> green.
>
> notbob;1658855 Wrote:
>

> > On 2011-09-08, ImStillMags wrote:-
> > On Sep 6, 2:26*pm, notbob wrote:-
> > -
> > So.....?? *didya make a green smoothie? * How did it work for you?-

> > Not yet. *Still trying to find a combination that doesn't turn my
> > stomach! *

> > Seriously, had an ongoing mom crises this morning plus trying to get
> > the food sorted out. *Haven't even put new veggies away, yet. *Hadda
> > throw out some food and make room. *I DID sneak in the boxed tabouli.
> > Gotta add tomatoes and lemons juice between background probs.

> > I also remembered I bought a mango and a garnet yam and still have
> > some frozen blackberries. *When I get around to it, it's gonna be
> > good! *I also have some cans of coconut milk (/w cream). *Is that a
> > good liquid to sub in place of dairy?

> > nb

> --
> Carol Peer- Hide quoted text -

I LOVE green smoothies. Liked them right off the bat. Good tasting
green smoothies should be made with about 60% fruit and that takes
care of the 'green' taste. I only use water in my green smoothies,
don't want dairy in there with all that green. I really like
grapes, pears and apples in the green smoothies, they are natually
sweet enough and the combination with spinach and kale is really tasty
and good.

Vita Mix Blender Sharon C General Cooking 2 25-01-2010 09:38 PM
Vita-Mix 5200 only $379 Noodles[_9_] Cooking Equipment 0 25-09-2008 09:49 PM
Vita-Mix cookie Diabetic 14 13-04-2006 01:26 AM
vita mix Frank Cooking Equipment 1 14-04-2004 11:52 PM
Vita-Mix BillKirch General Cooking 13 15-03-2004 04:25 AM