Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Wines in LA, Central Coast, and Sacramento

We made it to LA on time Sunday. Checked into the Doubletree Culver
City (which is about as close to LAX as it is downtown CC), then
headed into Culver City for dinner. Betsy chose Meet, a nice little
reasonably priced bistro. Nice bistro food (moules, frites, etc. - I
had moules Dijonaise) and inexpensive if uninspiring list. We split a
carafe of 2010 Domaine Jarras Cotes de Provence rose ($20/500 ml)-
light, touch of sweetness, herbsl, not bad. B- Monday we spent morning
with Betsy’s stepaunts in Westwood, then headed for Central Coast. On
the way we stopped at Woodland Hills Wine, where I’ve orderd for
years, but had never been in. Nice store - nice staff.In Cambria we
had dinner at Wild Ginger -great fresh salad, ok calamari, overdone
and oversweet satay, tasteless pork confit. Two wines by the glass- a
2007 Beckman Syrah (low acid, jammy, formless C+) and a 2008 EOS
Pinot Blanc (hint of sweetness, could use more acidic structure, but
clean B-/C+).

Tuesday we visited Hearst Castle (really quite something to see,
though our tour had the worlds worst docent) and the elephant seals.
Dinner at the Sow’s Ear was better food- chicken fried steak with
mashed potatoes, as well as, scallops in orange rosemary sauce. Again,
2 btg- 2008 Qupe Syrah had clean berry fruit, light tannins, and
moderate acidity, B; 2008 Tobin James Sauvignon Blanc was a bit on
the heavy side, with an edge of heat, but good full flavors. B-

Wednesday we did a lot of beach walking, then made the drive to Paso
Robles for dinner at Artisan. Truly excellent meal- I started with
great morel mushroom toast with runny egg, Betsy with cheese stuffed
squash blossoms and grilled baby artichoke salad. My main was rabbit 3
ways- loin, sausage, and ragu over cavatelli; Betsy had wild boar,
braised pig cheeks, freshpea risotto, and mushrooms. They have a nice
list, but I brought my own wine - the 2008 Bize “les Bourgeots”
Savigny Les Beaune. Good wine and an excellent match with the food-
black cherries, smoke, forest floor. Very good acids, light tannins,
excellent length. Young but does its job. B+/A-
Definitely recommend restaurant.
Over 3 nights in our room (refrigerator, yea!), we tried the 2009
Gurrutxaga Bizkaiko Txakolina Rosado. Light hint of spritz, just a
whisper of RS, strawberries and cherries, still fresh, B

We headed from Central Coast to Sacramento, outside Paso Robles we
stopped for quick visits at a couple of wineries. Windward had
pleasant enthusiastic staff (dealing with us and a limo on a “girl’s
trip.”). They say they strive for Burgundian style PN, but I don’t
think that is possible in Paso Robles. They weren’t bad wines, just
very Californian. My favorite was the 2006, ripe but not overbearing,
full, a good CA PN. B. The 2007 and 2008 had ripeness, yet with a
light green streak, and seemed a bit flabby. B-/C+. The 2007 “Gold” PN
was again described as Burgundian by pourer- maybe if your standard
for Burgundy was 2003. Big, full, tasty but a little hot. B-

We also tasted 5 wines at Niner. The 2010 Sauvignon Blanc was actually
pretty good for CA SB (not my fave category)- big, ripe fig and guava
fruit but with orety good acidity and only a hintof oak. B. A rose
seemed hot, heavy, and horrid. C-. My favorite red was a Bordeaux
bland called Twisted Spur (I think all of the reds were 2007, but no
sheet and I can’t swear to it)- not a lot of oak, fairly balanced,
good length. B. The Bootjack Cabernet was showing more oak, less
acidity, but good length. B- The flagship wine, Hog Catcher, was to me
hot and flabby The pourer kept describing flavors (licorice, coffee,
caramel, soy) but to me just tasted like oak. C/C+

Thursday night we went out for Vietnamese (I drank water), Friday
spent afternoon at an 80th birthday party for Betsy’s dad. No alcohol
at party (couple of cousins in recovery) but plenty of good food, but
that evening I opened a bottle of 2009 Reinhold Haart Piesporter
Grafenberg Riesling Kabinett with leftover jellyfish/shrimp/pork salad
from pho place. Just what the doctor ordered- good acidity, riipe
white fruits, balanced sweetness, full and long. Mineral, classic,
good ripe vintage Mosel. B+/A-

tonight dinner with an old Bordeaux-loving friend.

usual disclaimers apply
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 14:56:07 -0700 (PDT), DaleW >
wrote:

> we tried the 2009
> Gurrutxaga Bizkaiko Txakolina Rosado. Light hint of spritz, just a
> whisper of RS, strawberries and cherries, still fresh, B

Never heard of it, but I assume that's from the Basque part of Spain.
Whenever I see anything written in Basque, it always looks to me like
someone hit the keyboard keys in random places: hfgghzx zxasd wsq <g>

--
Ken Blake
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 16, 3:56*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> [...]
> good length. B. The Bootjack Cabernet was showing more oak, less
> acidity, but good length. B- The flagship wine, Hog Catcher, was to me
> hot and flabby The pourer kept describing flavors (licorice, coffee,
> caramel, soy) but to me just tasted like oak. C/C+
>
> Thursday night we went out for Vietnamese (I drank water), Friday
> spent afternoon at an 80th birthday party for Betsy’s dad. No alcohol
> at party (couple of cousins in recovery) but plenty of good food, but
> that evening I opened a bottle of 2009 Reinhold Haart Piesporter
> Grafenberg Riesling Kabinett with leftover jellyfish/shrimp/pork salad
> from pho place. Just what the doctor ordered- good acidity, riipe
> white fruits, balanced sweetness, full and long. Mineral, classic,
> good ripe vintage Mosel. B+/A-
>
> tonight dinner with an old Bordeaux-loving friend.

And you apparently avoided Carmaggedon by heading north. Sounds like
great food. Have tried the Sows ear and enjoy it every time. Sounds
like you didn't hit too many places in Paso. While you are out there
are you heading out to Amador or Lodi?
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

> Tuesday we visited Hearst Castle (really quite something to see,
> though our tour had the worlds worst docent) and the elephant seals.
> Dinner at the Sow’s Ear was better food- chicken fried steak with
> mashed potatoes, as well as, scallops in orange rosemary sauce. Again,
> 2 btg- 2008 Qupe Syrah had clean berry fruit, light tannins, and
> moderate acidity, B; 2008 Tobin James Sauvignon Blanc was a bit on
> the heavy side, with an edge of heat, but good full flavors. B-

Too bad your docent wasn't good, Dale. Hearst Castle is a trip and a
half. Puts 'Citizen Kane' into perspective, it does. Where did you see
elephant seals? We usually see them at Año Nuevo State Park, but you
were well south of that.

Was that 2007 Beckmen Syrah the Purisma Mountain Vineyard? If so, I
have a bottle in the cellar that I purchased at the winery. I wasn't
sold at the time, but I had better hopes for it than what you report.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Wines in LA, Central Coast, and Sacramento

"DaleW" wrote....

> Tuesday we visited Hearst Castle (really quite something
> to see, though our tour had the worlds worst docent)
> and the elephant seals.

Dale, why go all the way to CA to see seals when they are on your door step
in NYC along with whales and dolphins

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011...les-fin-whales

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 16, 3:56*pm, lleichtman > wrote:
> [...]

> > caramel, soy) but to me just tasted like oak. C/C+

> > Thursday night we went out for Vietnamese (I drank water), Friday
> > spent afternoon at an 80th birthday party for Betsy’s dad. No alcohol
> > at party (couple of cousins in recovery) but plenty of good food, but
> > that evening I opened a bottle of 2009 Reinhold Haart Piesporter
> > Grafenberg Riesling Kabinett with leftover jellyfish/shrimp/pork salad
> > from pho place. Just what the doctor ordered- good acidity, riipe
> > white fruits, balanced sweetness, full and long. Mineral, classic,
> > good ripe vintage Mosel. B+/A-

> > tonight dinner with an old Bordeaux-loving friend.

> > usual disclaimers apply

> And you apparently avoided Carmaggedon by heading north. Sounds like
> great food. Have tried the Sows ear and enjoy it every time. Sounds
> like you didn't hit too many places in Paso. While you are out there

no, all family time, leave tonight.
I'd lke to come back to visit some more Rhone oriented plces in PR
(I've done Tablas Creek before,but would go back)
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 16, 9:35*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
>
> > Tuesday we visited Hearst Castle (really quite something to see,
> > though our tour had the worlds worst docent) and the elephant seals.
> > Dinner at the Sow’s Ear was better food- chicken fried steak with
> > mashed potatoes, as well as, scallops in orange rosemary sauce. Again,
> > 2 btg- 2008 Qupe Syrah had clean berry fruit, light tannins, and
> > moderate acidity, B; * 2008 Tobin James Sauvignon Blanc was a bit on
> > the heavy side, with an edge of heat, but good full flavors. B-

> Too bad your docent wasn't good, Dale. *Hearst Castle is a trip and a
> half. *Puts 'Citizen Kane' into perspective, it does. *Where did you see
> elephant seals? *We usually see them at Año Nuevo State Park, but you
> were well south of that.
>
> Was that 2007 Beckmen Syrah the Purisma Mountain Vineyard? *If so, I
> have a bottle in the cellar that I purchased at the winery. *I wasn't
> sold at the time, but I had better hopes for it than what you report.
>
> Mark Lipton

Wine list just said Beckmen Syrah, never saw bottle
There's an elephant seal rookery/breeding spot just north of San
Simeon, south of the Piedras Blanco lighthouse.
Plus behind our hotel there were zebras mixing with the cattle,
remnants of Hearst's zoo.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 16, 5:56*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> [...]
> good length. B. The Bootjack Cabernet was showing more oak, less
> acidity, but good length. B- The flagship wine, Hog Catcher, was to me
> hot and flabby The pourer kept describing flavors (licorice, coffee,
> caramel, soy) but to me just tasted like oak. C/C+
>
> Thursday night we went out for Vietnamese (I drank water), Friday
> spent afternoon at an 80th birthday party for Betsy’s dad. No alcohol
> at party (couple of cousins in recovery) but plenty of good food, but
> that evening I opened a bottle of 2009 Reinhold Haart Piesporter
> Grafenberg Riesling Kabinett with leftover jellyfish/shrimp/pork salad
> from pho place. Just what the doctor ordered- good acidity, riipe
> white fruits, balanced sweetness, full and long. Mineral, classic,
> good ripe vintage Mosel. B+/A-
>
> tonight dinner with an old Bordeaux-loving friend.

Thanks for the tip on Artisan. We are headed to California in
September and I was looking for a place to eat in Paso Robles.