Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 78 Chateau Gloria

My last bottle, and one that I had forgotten we had. And our
facilities for storing wine are far from great, so I worried about how
good it would be. We had it with steaks.

I was afraid to try to open it with a regular corkscrew, so I used an
"Ah-So" cork extractor. That was no better than a corkscrew, and it
pushed the cork into the bottle before I even got its prongs down any
distance.

I decanted it through a strainer and got very little cork or any of
the large quantities of sediment in the bottle.

It was brick-red, almost orange, in color, and looking at it, I was
afraid that it was badly oxidized and undrinkable. But I was happy to
find that there was almost no discernable oxidation.

But alas, although it was still drinkable, it was clearly over the
hill, and far from being wonderful.

--
Ken Blake
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 13, 5:11*pm, Ken Blake > wrote:
> My last bottle, and one that I had forgotten we had. And our
> facilities for storing wine are far from great, so I worried about how
> good it would be. We had it with steaks.
>
> I was afraid to try to open it with a regular corkscrew, so I used an
> "Ah-So" cork extractor. That was no better than a corkscrew, and it
> pushed the cork into the bottle before I even got its prongs down any
> distance.
>
> I decanted it through a strainer and got very little cork or any of
> the large quantities of sediment in the bottle.
>
> It was brick-red, almost orange, in color, and looking at it, I was
> afraid that it was badly oxidized and undrinkable. But I was happy to
> find that there was almost no discernable oxidation.
>
> But alas, although it was still drinkable, it was clearly over the
> hill, and far from being wonderful.
>
> --
> Ken Blake

thanks, have one of these, knew it was time to drink up!
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 14:56:42 -0700 (PDT), DaleW >
wrote:

> On Jul 13, 5:11*pm, Ken Blake > wrote:
> > My last bottle, and one that I had forgotten we had. And our
> > facilities for storing wine are far from great, so I worried about how
> > good it would be. We had it with steaks.
> >
> > I was afraid to try to open it with a regular corkscrew, so I used an
> > "Ah-So" cork extractor. That was no better than a corkscrew, and it
> > pushed the cork into the bottle before I even got its prongs down any
> > distance.
> >
> > I decanted it through a strainer and got very little cork or any of
> > the large quantities of sediment in the bottle.
> >
> > It was brick-red, almost orange, in color, and looking at it, I was
> > afraid that it was badly oxidized and undrinkable. But I was happy to
> > find that there was almost no discernable oxidation.
> >
> > But alas, although it was still drinkable, it was clearly over the
> > hill, and far from being wonderful.
> >
> > --
> > Ken Blake

> thanks, have one of these, knew it was time to drink up!

You're welcome, but almost certainly your storage conditions are
better than mine. Your bottle might be much better than mine was.

--
Ken Blake