Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Santa Fe Quickie Roundup

Four days in Santa Fe and I return broke, sated and relaxed.

Stayed at Inn of the Anasazi and it has gotten better over the years
if that is possible. Staff is incredible and the facility is simply
beautiful.

Dinner Night 1: At the Anasazi. Service was attentive and working hard
but seemed fragmented and disjointed. Dinner, however, was excellent.
Wine was a winner for me because I'm fanatical about saturated fruit
bombs and Australian Shiraz. Torbreck "The Struie" 2006. Absolutely
rolls your socks down.

Breakfast at Cafe Pasqual. Good, but not as great as last time I was
there.

Dinner Night 2: Chef Eric Destefano is still hitting home runs at the
rejuvenated Coyote Cafe. This may be the premium stop in town these
days and that is a hard title to gain. Wine was Sutcliffe Vineyards
Syrah from Cortez Colorado. Slow to open up, but after about an hour
near the end of the meal it was showing fully. This is one that seems
to have been offered in the restaurant more for its local linkage than
its readiness to drink. It probably will be really good in a year or
two.

Brunch at La Boca, authentic Spanish tapas with a fruity Spanish white
that I had never heard of before and unfortunately can't recall at the
moment. Curses!

Dinner Night 3: Ristra. A remodeled old house on Agua Fria about four
blocks of Paseo de Peralta. Beautiful whether you dine inside or out.
We chose al fresco and didn't regret it. Service was wonderful and
appetizer was absolutely to die for. Foie Gras on a bed of raspberry
couli with blackberry sauce garnish. Main course failed, however. A
pan-roasted halibut with almond crust and black olive polenta. Dry and
distinctly over-cooked. Wine was a 2008 Sancerre and even that
couldn't cover the entree. Still, the service and remainder makes this
worth a return visit.

Lunch at The Shed. Simply a great reminder of why New Mexican
traditional Mexican food is vastly superior to Tex-Mex.

Dinner Night 4: Galisteo Bistro per recommendation right here in AFW.
Definitely a winner. Small, so reservations are a must. Dedicated
staff and a creative menu that breaks the Santa Fe molds with heavy
influences of Italian, Spanish and Greek cooking. Once again I went
with a local wine since a range of varietals from the producer were
featured on the menu. Milagro Vineyards of Corrales NM. A very nice
Cabernet Franc, full bodied with loads of black currant flavor, a hint
of spice and a long finish. I watched another table go through several
bottles of the Milagro Cabernet Sauvignon with gusto. All the red
wines served at Galisteo were decanted in Reidel "handle" decanters
which was very nice touch.

Now back to the diet...

Oh, but next month there is an excursion to Dallas where I'll get to
experience Dean Fearing (formerly from the Mansion at Turtle Creek),
Stephen Pyle and Nabu at the Hilton Anatole. That should leave me
bankrupt for the remainder of the year.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Funny, seems impossible for US citizens to learn that it's "Riedel"....
To us on the other side of the pond the pronunciation is radically different
(would be Reedel vs Ridel)

:-) Anders

"Ed Rasimus" > skrev i melding
> [...]
> staff and a creative menu that breaks the Santa Fe molds with heavy
> influences of Italian, Spanish and Greek cooking. Once again I went
> with a local wine since a range of varietals from the producer were
> featured on the menu. Milagro Vineyards of Corrales NM. A very nice
> Cabernet Franc, full bodied with loads of black currant flavor, a hint
> of spice and a long finish. I watched another table go through several
> bottles of the Milagro Cabernet Sauvignon with gusto. All the red
> wines served at Galisteo were decanted in Reidel "handle" decanters
> which was very nice touch.
>
> Now back to the diet...
>
> Oh, but next month there is an excursion to Dallas where I'll get to
> experience Dean Fearing (formerly from the Mansion at Turtle Creek),
> Stephen Pyle and Nabu at the Hilton Anatole. That should leave me

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 18, 12:42*pm, Ed Rasimus > wrote:
> [...]
> staff and a creative menu that breaks the Santa Fe molds with heavy
> influences of Italian, Spanish and Greek cooking. Once again I went
> with a local wine since a range of varietals from the producer were
> featured on the menu. Milagro Vineyards of Corrales NM. A very nice
> Cabernet Franc, full bodied with loads of black currant flavor, a hint
> of spice and a long finish. I watched another table go through several
> bottles of the Milagro Cabernet Sauvignon with gusto. All the red
> wines served at Galisteo were decanted in Reidel "handle" decanters
> which was very nice touch.
>
> Now back to the diet...
>
> Oh, but next month there is an excursion to Dallas where I'll get to
> experience Dean Fearing (formerly from the Mansion at Turtle Creek),
> Stephen Pyle and Nabu at the Hilton Anatole. That should leave me

Glad you like our fair city. Told you couldn't go wrong with Gallisteo
Bistro. Coyote and its sister Geronimo are hitting on all cylinders.
Was Eric at the grille?
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 22:19:49 +0200, "Anders TÛrneskog"
> wrote:

> Funny, seems impossible for US citizens to learn that it's "Riedel"....
> To us on the other side of the pond the pronunciation is radically different
> (would be Reedel vs Ridel)

I'm a US citizen, and I spell it correctly--"Riedel." And I also
pronounce it correctly, to rhyme with "needle." ;-)

--
Ken Blake
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 22:19:49 +0200, "Anders Tørneskog"
> wrote:

>Funny, seems impossible for US citizens to learn that it's "Riedel"....
>To us on the other side of the pond the pronunciation is radically different
>(would be Reedel vs Ridel)
>
>:-) Anders

Argghhh! The rule drummed into us in our earliest school years is "i
before e, except after c or when sounded as "a" as in neighbor and
weigh."

I always think I'm being right in remembering to invert the rule when
referring to the glassware. Now, I'll have to revert to basics.

Next project, work on Spiegelau....

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 13:36:46 -0700 (PDT), susan leichtman
> [...]

>> with a local wine since a range of varietals from the producer were
>> featured on the menu. Milagro Vineyards of Corrales NM. A very nice
>> Cabernet Franc, full bodied with loads of black currant flavor, a hint
>> of spice and a long finish. I watched another table go through several
>> bottles of the Milagro Cabernet Sauvignon with gusto. All the red
>> wines served at Galisteo were decanted in Reidel "handle" decanters
>> which was very nice touch.
>>
>> Now back to the diet...
>>
>> Oh, but next month there is an excursion to Dallas where I'll get to
>> experience Dean Fearing (formerly from the Mansion at Turtle Creek),
>> Stephen Pyle and Nabu at the Hilton Anatole. That should leave me
>> bankrupt for the remainder of the year.

>Glad you like our fair city. Told you couldn't go wrong with Gallisteo
>Bistro. Coyote and its sister Geronimo are hitting on all cylinders.

No, the big guy apparently either stayed home or was on Canyon Road.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 15:58:45 -0500, Ed Rasimus
> wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 22:19:49 +0200, "Anders Tørneskog"
> > wrote:
>
> >Funny, seems impossible for US citizens to learn that it's "Riedel"....
> >To us on the other side of the pond the pronunciation is radically different
> >(would be Reedel vs Ridel)
> >
> >:-) Anders

> Argghhh! The rule drummed into us in our earliest school years is "i
> before e, except after c or when sounded as "a" as in neighbor and
> weigh."
>
> I always think I'm being right in remembering to invert the rule when
> referring to the glassware. Now, I'll have to revert to basics.

It was *many* years ago, but I studied German in college. I still
remember the rule to pronounce the combination of i and e like the
*second* letter in the combination. If you remember the spelling and
pronunciation of "Einstein" and know the German Spelling and
Pronunciation of Vienna (Wien, pronounced Veen), just follow those as
examples.

Also, it's not German, but it's close--the Norwegian composer Grieg is
an example of ie being pronounce ee.

--
Ken Blake
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Pronunciation, was Santa Fe Quickie Roundup

"Ken Blake" > skrev i melding
> On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 15:58:45 -0500>
> Also, it's not German, but it's close--the Norwegian composer Grieg is
> an example of ie being pronounce ee.

Correct, but not the other way around in Norwegian, - the female name Heidi
would be 'H-e-ee-di', the wovels pronounced separately. The e stressed and
short, the ee unstressed and short.

:-) Anders