Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 1985 and 1986 Chave

Gosset Brut (nv ) – always a great way to start a meal – crisp dry and
clean.

Alfred Gratien Brut (nv) - much more colour, clearly getting on in
years and very little mousse at all. More complexity and acidity, but
over all a tad to tired.

2007 Mulderbosch Sauvignon Blanc – good varietal nose, clean and
crisp, with very good passion fruit nose.

2009 Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc – what gives with this wine? In days
past, I always gave this wine at least 2 years in the cellar in order
to allow it to tone down the aggressive acidity. This one was fine
right out of the bottle, with a more gooseberry less tropical nose,
good but not overboard acidity, and good fruit. Have they changed
their style?

2005 Alain Voge St. Peray Fleur de Crussol – always a crowd pleaser,
this showed a bit of colour, a lemony nose and good fruit level on
palate. very good.

1985 Chave Hermitage – these wines went back and forth in terms of
our preferences. The 1985 is a slightly superior vintage, but the 1986
was in magnum and therefore fresher. This one showed medium garnet
with a nose that included leather and tar as well as a floral element,
was balanced, long and delightful on palate with some black pepper at
the end and some red fruit. I liked this better at first.

1986 Chave Hermitage – slightly lighter colour, and more acidity, and
the nose was far funkier and barnyard/poop. Good length and good
midpalate fruit, segueing to tea flavours as it sat in the glass. I’d
give it about a toss up – I think I liked this better at the end, but
had liked the 85 better at first; both were very enjoyable.

Served with lamb and a savoury bread pudding – yum!

1994 Ch. Dauzan La Vergne – Haut Montravel – about the last wine I’d
expect to see, although I enjoy both dry and sweet Montravels, and
toured through the area a few years ago. A slightly honeyed nose with
a hint of orange, nicely balanced, and not too sweet in the mouth –
good choice with fruit or a not too sweet dessert. Given the lower RS
than Sauternes, I expect it would pair beautifully with foie gras.
Some opined that they didn’t enjoy it as much on its own as they did
in conjunction with the food.

Oustanding meal; and some wonderful wines!

TN: La Tache 1985 cwdjrxyz Wine 3 30-11-2009 04:49 PM
Chave Lawrence Leichtman Wine 2 21-09-2006 03:13 PM
First Chave, Offerus 2003, then St. Josept 2003...now 2004 Chave Cotes Du Rhone Mon Coeur Richard Neidich Wine 0 14-09-2006 05:24 PM
Chave 2003 Offerus vs Chave Domain St Joseph 2003 Richard Neidich Wine 2 13-09-2006 05:19 PM
1986 Bdx DaleW Wine 4 03-05-2005 06:45 PM