Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Christmas visits 2003 Bordeaux

The cold weather, White Christmas, wind whistling etc, coupled with lack
of preparedness (forget to get wine out of the cold cave the previous
day) prompted us to choose a retrospective of 2003. Completely random,
guided by what was on hand and not buried under boxes or anything, and
also could get nuked in the microwave with at least a reasonably clear
conscience. We do a standing rib roast of good local Norman beef --
pictures of the cow available on demand from the redoubtable butcher,
who amazingly has gone all organic during the last year -- with
yorkshire and sprouts, and usually an older Bordeaux; one of the few
times during the year we go that route. This year though a "hot year"
seemed in order, so 2003.

Ch. du Tertre (Margaux). Actually fairly lean and tight to begin with,
after lots of air opened into a lovely Margaux, surprisingly not too
hot, dark with griottes. Drink or hold.

Dom. de la Solitude (Pessac). Lean and again elegant, lots of leather,
stone and a fine backbone of dark fruit. Again, not hot or overblown in
any way at this point, but not going anywhere either. Drink.

Ch. Ormes de Pez (St. Estephe). Agreeable and well balanced, quite
feminine but without either much tannins or fruit structure. Doesn't
seem resolved, just a bit missing really, drinking below expectations.
Bit of a conundrum, perhaps sleeping?

Ch. Terrey Gros Cailloux (St. Julien). Warm and generous, and a little
hot but welcome given the weather. (In fact, the only one of the
quartet that really cried out 2003). Some kirsch, chocolate, tons of
dark fruit, not very tannic. Enjoyable, but drink now.

The ringer:

1995 Dom Roullet, Coteaux du Layon 'Prestige'. Fabulous, still in it's
youth but resolved enough to wow the crowd, bracing acidity with citrus
and orange peel, botrytis, honey all coming through layer after long layer.

Best for the holidays to all AFW and cheers,

-E
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Dec 27, 6:22*pm, Emery Davis > wrote:
> The cold weather, White Christmas, wind whistling etc, coupled with lack
> of preparedness (forget to get wine out of the cold cave the previous
> day) prompted us to choose a retrospective of 2003. *Completely random,
> guided by what was on hand and not buried under boxes or anything, and
> also could get nuked in the microwave with at least a reasonably clear
> conscience. *We do a standing rib roast of good local Norman beef --
> pictures of the cow available on demand from the redoubtable butcher,
> who amazingly has gone all organic during the last year -- with
> yorkshire and sprouts, and usually an older Bordeaux; one of the few
> times during the year we go that route. *This year though a "hot year"
> seemed in order, so 2003.
>
> Ch. du Tertre (Margaux). *Actually fairly lean and tight to begin with,
> after lots of air opened into a lovely Margaux, surprisingly not too
> hot, dark with griottes. *Drink or hold.
>
> Dom. de la Solitude (Pessac). *Lean and again elegant, lots of leather,
> stone and a fine backbone of dark fruit. *Again, not hot or overblown in
> any way at this point, but not going anywhere either. *Drink.
>
> Ch. Ormes de Pez (St. Estephe). *Agreeable and well balanced, quite
> feminine but without either much tannins or fruit structure. *Doesn't
> seem resolved, just a bit missing really, drinking below expectations.
> Bit of a conundrum, perhaps sleeping?
>
> Ch. Terrey Gros Cailloux (St. Julien). *Warm and generous, and a little
> hot but welcome given the weather. *(In fact, the only one of the
> quartet that really cried out 2003). *Some kirsch, chocolate, tons of
> dark fruit, not very tannic. *Enjoyable, but drink now.
>
> The ringer:
>
> 1995 Dom Roullet, Coteaux du Layon 'Prestige'. *Fabulous, still in it's
> youth but resolved enough to wow the crowd, bracing acidity with citrus
> and orange peel, botrytis, honey all coming through layer after long layer.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Dec 27, 6:22*pm, Emery Davis > wrote:
> The cold weather, White Christmas, wind whistling etc, coupled with lack
> of preparedness (forget to get wine out of the cold cave the previous
> day) prompted us to choose a retrospective of 2003. *Completely random,
> guided by what was on hand and not buried under boxes or anything, and
> also could get nuked in the microwave with at least a reasonably clear
> conscience. *We do a standing rib roast of good local Norman beef --
> pictures of the cow available on demand from the redoubtable butcher,
> who amazingly has gone all organic during the last year -- with
> yorkshire and sprouts, and usually an older Bordeaux; one of the few
> times during the year we go that route. *This year though a "hot year"
> seemed in order, so 2003.
>
> Ch. du Tertre (Margaux). *Actually fairly lean and tight to begin with,
> after lots of air opened into a lovely Margaux, surprisingly not too
> hot, dark with griottes. *Drink or hold.
>
> Dom. de la Solitude (Pessac). *Lean and again elegant, lots of leather,
> stone and a fine backbone of dark fruit. *Again, not hot or overblown in
> any way at this point, but not going anywhere either. *Drink.
>
> Ch. Ormes de Pez (St. Estephe). *Agreeable and well balanced, quite
> feminine but without either much tannins or fruit structure. *Doesn't
> seem resolved, just a bit missing really, drinking below expectations.
> Bit of a conundrum, perhaps sleeping?
>
> Ch. Terrey Gros Cailloux (St. Julien). *Warm and generous, and a little
> hot but welcome given the weather. *(In fact, the only one of the
> quartet that really cried out 2003). *Some kirsch, chocolate, tons of
> dark fruit, not very tannic. *Enjoyable, but drink now.
>
> The ringer:
>
> 1995 Dom Roullet, Coteaux du Layon 'Prestige'. *Fabulous, still in it's
> youth but resolved enough to wow the crowd, bracing acidity with citrus
> and orange peel, botrytis, honey all coming through layer after long layer.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 12/28/2010 08:48 PM, DaleW wrote:
> thanks Emery, and happy holidays to you. Nice to read the note on the
> Ch. du Tertre, one of the few '03s I own.

To you and Betsy also, Dale. I have a couple more of 03 du Tertre,
(bought 3), and I don't think I'll wait long before opening. The
balance is pretty good now after aeration.

cheers,

-E
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 12/29/2010 05:21 PM, Bi!! wrote:
> Thanks for the notes on the '03's. I haven't opened any of mine yet
> and I might try a few over the next few months. I have one bottle of
> Dom Roullet and it's a '97 so thanks for the notes. Happy Holidays
> Emery!

Happy New Year (by this time!) Bill.

The Roullets can be quite variable vintage to vintage, I hope yours is a
good one. Can't remember what the weather was like in 97...

-E

75 Bordeaux, Old Napa Cabs and a Great 82 Bordeaux Bill S. Wine 6 27-05-2010 08:30 PM
2003 Bordeaux Bill S. Wine 4 17-09-2009 10:45 PM
Two Loire Visits Emery Davis Wine 3 02-03-2007 07:50 PM
Visits to the following Bordeaux chateaux... Ian Hoare Wine 4 18-07-2004 02:51 PM
2003 Bordeaux Dale Williams Wine 3 13-07-2004 09:58 AM