Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Pichon Lalande

Notes from a Pichon Lalande dinner.

Very interesting evening. I sat across the table from Gildas
d’Ollone, the general director of the excellent second growth
Pauillac, Pichon Lalande. He is also the nephew of May de
Lencquesaing, the owner. He explained that the property was founded
in 1689 and that it encompassed the area that includes Pichon Baron
today. The properties were split in 1840 among 5 children, with the
boys inheriting Pichon Baron and the girls, Pichon Lalande. We shared
a wide ranging conversation about many wine and non-wine subjects. He
is an excellent ambassador for the chateau.

we started with a champagne on its own followed by another one with a
course of squid stuffed with lobster, in a lobster brandy sauce.

Moutardier Champagne Brut Rose – nice pink colour, a nose that
included peach, crisp and clean. 80% pinot meunier, 20% chardonnay.

Boizel Champagne Brut Reserve - 30 % Chardonnay, 55 % Pinot Noir and
15 % Pinot Meunier. A nice clean citrus nose, clean entry, excellent
acidity and crisp finish. Undoubtedly the better bubbly with the
food.

Pichon bought Ch. Bernadotte a cru bourgeois in 1997 and carried out a
badly needed restoration of the property in the ensuing years. The
next course was accompanied by wines from that property. The course
was a wild mushroom terrine.

2001 Bernadotte – good medium colour, a fair bit of vanilla in this
nose, mellow and smooth in the mouth with soft tannins. A nice
bourgeois.

2005 Bernadotte – less vanilla and more fruit on this nose, almost
perfumed. Less bright on the palate, in fact almost a bit dull in
comparison with lots of softening tannins. It needs time, which will
hopefully bring it to life, but right now the 2001 drank much better.

The next course was a duck confit as we got into the grand vin.

1983 Pichon Lalande – many of the wines from this vintage are now
going into decline, but the top ones are still in good shape with time
to go. This was one of the best wine of the vintage, handily
surpassing all of the first growths except Margaux. You get black
currant and a hint of cedar in the nose, a sweet entry and long smooth
journey over the palate and a nice long finish. No rush on this one.

1985 Pichon Lalande – another lovely nose with a bit more vanilla, but
in the mouth, lower tannin and acidity. Very nice, but needs drinking.
Do not hold.

Served as a mystery wine:

1975 Pichon Lalande – browning at the edges, and with nice garnet
notes deep in the wine, this is now mature and has softened enough to
enjoy, while retaining sufficient fruit to make it interesting.
Leather and spice in the nose, the tannins still lurking, and decent
acidity. Now a pleasant 1975. Do not hold.

With lamb chops:

2003 Pichon Lalande – an immediate impression of prune in this nose,
very ripe, and a big sweet but well balanced wine with a certain
earthy character. Not at this point an elegant wine, this should pick
up some polish with a few more years in bottle.

2004 Pichon Lalande – a pleasant dark fruit nose with a hint of green
and also of cocoa and a fair bit of tannin. Needs time to really
evaluate – not drinking as well as the 2003 at this point.

Another mystery wine:

1986 Pichon Lalande – deep colour, medium to full weight, good
acidity, an example of this firm vintage that I’d give more time,
although I admit that it drinks pretty well now despite still
significant tannin.
With cheese:

2007 Pichon Lalande – this one was quite dark with a big dusty earthy
currant nose, lots of tannin and a slightly astringent note in the
finish. needs time!

2006 Reserve de la Comtesse – I should explain that some chateau
create second wines from young vines replanted in areas of their
vineyards but too young to be used in the grand vin. This isn’t the
case with Pichon – the grapes from the second wine come off the same
vines as the grand vin does, but they are what is left after the blend
for the Pichon Lalande has been finalized. Thus if it was a heavy
cabernet vintage for the grand vin, the second wine will be the
opposite, with more merlot. In this particular vintage, all the petit
verdot and a lot of cab franc went into this and I think that was all
to the good in terms of the aromatics, which showed a quite delightful
spice/herbal aspect. Fairly tannin and with very good fruit levels,
this warrants aging a decade or so to see what happens. Very nice.

With dessert:

2003 Ch. d’Armajan des Ormes – I knew nothing of this Sauternes house
with the rococo label, but it turned out quite well. Decent shot of
botrytis in the rather sweet nose, light lemon in colour, sweet in the
mouth but reasonably well balanced a decent serviceable inexpensive
wine.

great event, and a lot of very good wines.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 30, 7:45*pm, "Bill S." > wrote:
> [...]
> for the Pichon Lalande has been finalized. Thus if it was a heavy
> cabernet vintage for the grand vin, the second wine will be the
> opposite, with more merlot. *In this particular vintage, all the petit
> verdot and a lot of cab franc went into this and I think that was all
> to the good in terms of the aromatics, which showed a quite delightful
> spice/herbal aspect. Fairly tannin and with very good fruit levels,
> this warrants aging a decade or so to see what happens. Very nice.
>
> With dessert:
>
> 2003 Ch. d’Armajan des Ormes – I knew nothing of this Sauternes house
> with the rococo label, but it turned out quite well. *Decent shot of
> botrytis in the rather sweet nose, light lemon in colour, sweet in the
> mouth but reasonably well balanced a decent serviceable inexpensive
> wine.
>
> great event, and a lot of very good wines.

Wonderful notes sounds like an exceptional evening. I have a number
of Pichon Lalande's from '82 through '00 that I skhould probably start
drinkng. Thanks for the reminder. I've visited the Chateau a number
of times over theyears...nice place. I thought it was owned by an
Insurance conglomerate.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Nov 1, 9:42*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
Pichon Lalande's from '82 through '00 that I skhould probably start
> drinkng. *Thanks for the reminder. *I've visited the Chateau a number
> of times over theyears...nice place. *I thought it was owned by an
> Insurance conglomerate.

It's Pichon Baron that is owned by AXA. Pichon Lalande was recently
purchased by family that owns Roederer Champagne, I believe
Nice notes Bill S!
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Nov 1, 11:51*am, DaleW > wrote:
> On Nov 1, 9:42*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> Pichon Lalande's from '82 through '00 that I skhould probably start
>
> > drinkng. *Thanks for the reminder. *I've visited the Chateau a number
> > of times over theyears...nice place. *I thought it was owned by an
> > Insurance conglomerate.

> It's Pichon Baron that is owned by AXA. Pichon Lalande was recently
> purchased by family that owns Roederer Champagne, I believe
> Nice notes Bill S!

Right, not sure where my head is these days. I was badly injured on
labor day in a horseback accident and I'm just now getting on my feet
and off of the pain meds, etc. so if i make silly errors it's due to
the meds.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 10/31/2010 01:45 AM, Bill S. wrote:
> 2005 Bernadotte – less vanilla and more fruit on this nose, almost
> perfumed. Less bright on the palate, in fact almost a bit dull in
> comparison with lots of softening tannins. It needs time, which will
> hopefully bring it to life, but right now the 2001 drank much better.

We drank this only a couple of days ago. It was very closed, quite
tight in the mouth even with air. Hopefully will come around in a few
years, indeed.

Still planning the trip to Chateauneuf, Bill?

-E

Posted to alt.food.wine

> Right, not sure where my head is these days. *I was badly injured on
> labor day in a horseback accident and I'm just now getting on my feet
> and off of the pain meds, etc. so if i make silly errors it's due to
> the meds.

No worries, I make worse errors than that all of the time, and I have
no excuses! Hope your recovery continues!
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Nov 1, 9:31*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> > Right, not sure where my head is these days. *I was badly injured on
> > labor day in a horseback accident and I'm just now getting on my feet
> > and off of the pain meds, etc. so if i make silly errors it's due to
> > the meds.

> No worries, I make worse errors than that all of the time, and I have
> no excuses! Hope your recovery continues!

Slowly. Four broken ribs, torn rib cartlidge, three compression
fractures T-4,5,6, cracked pelvis, dislocated shoulder with torn
rotator cuff, concussion, torn ankle ligaments. Very badly bruised
ego.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 11/02/2010 01:46 PM, Bi!! wrote:
> On Nov 1, 9:31 pm, DaleW > wrote:
>>> Right, not sure where my head is these days. I was badly injured on
>>> labor day in a horseback accident and I'm just now getting on my feet
>>> and off of the pain meds, etc. so if i make silly errors it's due to
>>> the meds.

>> No worries, I make worse errors than that all of the time, and I have
>> no excuses! Hope your recovery continues!

> Slowly. Four broken ribs, torn rib cartlidge, three compression
> fractures T-4,5,6, cracked pelvis, dislocated shoulder with torn
> rotator cuff, concussion, torn ankle ligaments. Very badly bruised
> ego.

Double ouch. Best wishes, Bill.

-E
Posted to alt.food.wine

Emery Davis wrote:

>> Slowly. Four broken ribs, torn rib cartlidge, three
>> compression fractures T-4,5,6, cracked pelvis, dislocated
>> shoulder with torn rotator cuff, concussion, torn ankle
>> ligaments. Very badly bruised ego.

> Double ouch. Best wishes, Bill.

+1

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Bi!! wrote:

> Slowly. Four broken ribs, torn rib cartlidge, three compression
> fractures T-4,5,6, cracked pelvis, dislocated shoulder with torn
> rotator cuff, concussion, torn ankle ligaments. Very badly bruised
> ego.

Ouch!! Damn, Bill, that sounds awful and I wish you a speedy recovery.
Do keep in mind the outstanding anti-inflammatory properties of red wine
.... and much easier on the stomach than Aleve! ;-)

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Nov 2, 11:52*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Bi!! wrote:
> > Slowly. *Four broken ribs, torn rib cartlidge, three compression
> > fractures T-4,5,6, cracked pelvis, dislocated shoulder with torn
> > rotator cuff, concussion, torn ankle ligaments. *Very badly bruised
> > ego.

> Ouch!! Damn, Bill, that sounds awful and I wish you a speedy recovery.
> Do keep in mind the outstanding anti-inflammatory properties of red wine
> ... and much easier on the stomach than Aleve! ;-)
>
> Mark Lipton

Thanks to all for your well wishes. I am getting better...actually
rode again this past weekend and was able to walk 3 miles today for
the first time since the accident. I was gifted a "get well" gift by
a dear friend of a bottle of 2007 O. Leflaive Batard Montrachet that
will be drank tonight with my wifes lobster mac and cheese. Report to
follow.

TN Chateau Pichon Lalande 1976 cwdjrxyz Wine 1 11-08-2009 09:32 PM
[TN] '95 Pichon-Baron Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 3 19-06-2009 09:02 PM
1989 Pichon Lalande [email protected] Wine 2 22-07-2007 08:10 AM
Pichon sold JT Wine 1 01-11-2006 09:07 PM
TN: '95 Pichon Lalande Fred Wine 1 25-06-2004 06:58 PM