Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 2000 and earlier Bordeaux

The theme was Bordeaux at least 10 years old.

2007 Ch. Carbonnieux – this producer has been very consistent in
recent years, slowly improving, if anything. The wine had a light
colour, nice nose of grapefruit and peach, pleasant middle and decent
finish, although I wonder if this one will last more than a few years.
Starter wine, not governed by the rules of engagement. 70% SB, 30%
Sem.

2000 Villemaurine – I have never found an example of this St. Emilion
that I liked, and this vintage did nothing to break that streak.
Decent color and fruit but a bit muted. Mild tannin, medium length, a
bit vegetal and a lot forgettable.

2000 Carruades de Lafite – I’ve never been overwhelmed with this wine
either, not because the wine itself is poor, because it isn’t, but
because it sells for more than many superior 2nd and 3rd growth
wines. That makes it, in my eye, a wine for label drinkers more
concerned with name than quality. Quite dark, some nice bright fruit
in the nose, with some cocoa, and very soft tannins. The finish
dropped off quite quickly, which surprised me. For around $400 a
bottle, you can keep it!

1990 Les Forts de Latour – this was my wine and I jumped in sooner in
the tasting order than I normally would have so that we could taste
the two second labels together. A really nice Bordeaux. Nose of
mature fruit and cedar. Nice sweet fruit entry, a juicy, tasty
middle, and very good length, with a hint of black pepper. This one
is still going strong. Wish I’d bought a lot more of it!

1995 La Lagune – I’d tasted this on release and found it a little
tannic compared to the fruit, so was interested to taste it again at
this point. It now shows as fairly dark, with a sort of Bovril nose
with hints of cedar and mint. Middle weight, medium length, this
drinks very well now and should be put into current lists for cork
pulling.

1999 Armailhac – good deep colour, a fairly good nose of fruit with a
bit of anise, decent fruit in the middle, but finished a tad short.

1995 Leoville Barton – dark wine with a pleasant nose of cigar box and
plum, decent flavour concentration and medium length. This should be
drunk soon, but will hold – I don’t think it will improve any more
from this point.

1982 Leoville Barton – cedar and pepper in the nose good colour,
smooth middle with good fruit levels and soft tannin, another wine
that will hold but can now be drunk without regret. Very nice.

1988 Lafaurie Peyraguay – I’ve had this wine many times and am much
taken with it. Now showing quite a bit of colour, it has a fair bit
of botrytis in the nose, and honey, and is sweet and long and
delicious. The high level of acidity make all the difference in terms
of good balance to this wine. Wonderful.

TN: Midtier 2000 Bordeaux DaleW Wine 2 02-11-2015 11:35 PM
Couple 2000 Bordeaux Bi!! Wine 3 21-11-2011 09:59 PM
2000 Bordeaux Young Martle Wine 11 28-02-2005 06:51 PM
Help me find info on a 2000 Bordeaux [email protected] Wine 2 04-02-2005 01:33 AM
When to drink a 2000 Bordeaux Scott Wine 19 08-03-2004 10:56 PM