Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Annual Anniversary TN: Lynch Bages, 1989

Wife and I shared our annual wedding-anniversary bottle of Ch. Lynch
Bages, 1989, last night. It, like our marriage, is 21 years old.
Wine was purchased on release and stored in my 60-degree F cellar
since.

Cork came out in two pieces, so not bad. Decanted 1 hr before
drinking.

Color: Still very, very dark, although no longer black as it was for
a decade and half. Some red/purple evident at the rim. Still very
youthful in appearance. If I had not seen it black, I would say no
evidence of aging.

Nose: Very prominent lead pencil. Cedar and violets. Backed by
cassis-fruit. Very enticing.

Palate: Outstanding. Beautifully balanced, rich and mouthfilling.
Opens with cedar. tea, tobacco, and a hint of fennel, followed shortly
by a beam of cassis that was outstanding. Adds spice and earth later,
rolling into a 2 min finish with waves of flavor.

Second best bottle so far.

Cheers,
Marc

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 10/1/10 9:58 AM, MarcB wrote:
> Wife and I shared our annual wedding-anniversary bottle of Ch. Lynch
> Bages, 1989, last night. It, like our marriage, is 21 years old.
> Wine was purchased on release and stored in my 60-degree F cellar
> since.
>
> Cork came out in two pieces, so not bad. Decanted 1 hr before
> drinking.
>
> Color: Still very, very dark, although no longer black as it was for
> a decade and half. Some red/purple evident at the rim. Still very
> youthful in appearance. If I had not seen it black, I would say no
> evidence of aging.
>
> Nose: Very prominent lead pencil. Cedar and violets. Backed by
> cassis-fruit. Very enticing.
>
> Palate: Outstanding. Beautifully balanced, rich and mouthfilling.
> Opens with cedar. tea, tobacco, and a hint of fennel, followed shortly
> by a beam of cassis that was outstanding. Adds spice and earth later,
> rolling into a 2 min finish with waves of flavor.

It's been a while since I've had this wine, Marc, but it sounds like you
had a very good bottle of it. We were likewise married in '89, but
didn't have the foresight to stock up on wines from that year. Quel
dommage.

Mark Lipton

1989 Ch Lynch Bages; (1996 Dominus) MarcB Wine 1 30-09-2008 08:30 PM
TN: 1989 Ch. Lynch-Bages MarcB Wine 7 04-10-2007 06:01 AM
1989 Lynch Bages (TN) Marc Branch Wine 4 01-12-2004 11:58 PM
1989 Lynch Bages: When to drink? Doug Wine 2 08-12-2003 02:22 AM
TN: 1989 Ch. Lynch Bages Marc Branch Wine 2 02-10-2003 09:10 AM