Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 1989 Ch Lynch Bages; (1996 Dominus)

Wife and I shared, with two friends, our annual anniversary bottle of
1989 Ch. Lynch Bages. Decanted shortly before drinking.

Sight: Still very, very dark, although not as close to black as in
previous years. Bright red core, and very youthful appearance.

Nose: Not very forthcoming, but with apparent Pauillac character.

Taste: WOW. Amazingly rich mouthfeel, with layered fruit, more black
than red for about the first twenty seconds. Next the substantial
tannins, not harsh, but very prominent, kicked in. Then the array of
flavors, fruit, cedar, tea, tar, hint of licorice, hint of chocolate,
persisted for about another two minutes. Just a tremendously
powerful, yet elegant and interesting wine. Much more open and
accessible than previous years. A+ on my lick-your-chops scale.

The 96 Dominus came next, also decanted about 30 min before drinking,
and it suffered by comparison. In fact, for the the first few sips it
seemed actually a bit thin. Later, we appreciated it more, and it
seemed obviously new world (which has not been my prior experience
with Dominus). A nicely balanced wine, ready to drink.

Marc
Posted to alt.food.wine

Thanks for your post. I have two cases of 1989 Lynch Bages in my cooler. I
paid all of $20 per bottle around 1993 at a grocery store in France. I
haven't opened any of it, but sounds like I need to start drinking it.

Nice to read postings like yours.

Mike Hagley
"MarcB" > wrote in message
> Wife and I shared, with two friends, our annual anniversary bottle of
> 1989 Ch. Lynch Bages. Decanted shortly before drinking.
>
> Sight: Still very, very dark, although not as close to black as in
> previous years. Bright red core, and very youthful appearance.
>
> Nose: Not very forthcoming, but with apparent Pauillac character.
>
> Taste: WOW. Amazingly rich mouthfeel, with layered fruit, more black
> than red for about the first twenty seconds. Next the substantial
> tannins, not harsh, but very prominent, kicked in. Then the array of
> flavors, fruit, cedar, tea, tar, hint of licorice, hint of chocolate,
> persisted for about another two minutes. Just a tremendously
> powerful, yet elegant and interesting wine. Much more open and
> accessible than previous years. A+ on my lick-your-chops scale.
>
> The 96 Dominus came next, also decanted about 30 min before drinking,
> and it suffered by comparison. In fact, for the the first few sips it
> seemed actually a bit thin. Later, we appreciated it more, and it
> seemed obviously new world (which has not been my prior experience
> with Dominus). A nicely balanced wine, ready to drink.
>
> Marc

1989 Lynch Bages and 1995 Mouton [email protected] Wine 1 02-06-2010 09:09 PM
TN: 1989 Ch. Lynch-Bages MarcB Wine 7 04-10-2007 06:01 AM
1989 Lynch Bages (TN) Marc Branch Wine 4 02-12-2004 12:58 AM
1989 Lynch Bages: When to drink? Doug Wine 2 08-12-2003 03:22 AM
TN: 1989 Ch. Lynch Bages Marc Branch Wine 2 02-10-2003 09:10 AM