Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Torrontes, Spanish pink, Loire red

Since I had a guest Monday and served seafood, I substituted Tofu
Tuesday for meatless Monday. Actually, no tofu, but cheese ravioli in
a shallot sauce, along with some leftover corn/bean salad. Wine was
the 2009 Jelu Torrontes, a gift from an employee. Somewhat floral,
broad styled fruit notes of melon and fig, this could use a bit more
zip and vigor. Pleasant enough, a bit soft. B-

Wednesday Betsy got back on the redeye, and we had planned to go to
park for concert. But it was 98 degreesand we decided to have our
picnic in dining room with AC. Caprese, proscuitto, and watermelon/
feta/mint. Wine was the 2009 Chivite "Gran Fuedo" Rose (Navarra),
Bright acids, strawberry fruit with a pleasant bitter streak, good
length. I like this although with the bitter streak is intensified
(and made less pleasant) by both the balsamic on the tomatoes and the
seasoned rice vinegar on the watermelon; I prefer this on its own. But
nice pink for $9. B

Thursday was still hot, but with a breeze we could eat on patio. SE
Asian styled beef salad, broccoli with garlic, and the 2008 Guion
"Cuvee Domaine" Bourgueil, thinking I'd go for something that could be
served a little cool, and wasn't too serious. Actually, this is pretty
serious for $10! Pretty, lively, with cranberry and cherry fruit
accented with smoke, herbs, and orange zest. Light to medium bodied,
light tannins, good acidity. I really quite enjoy through dinner and
after. As it warm a bit fruit tends more towards raspberry, more
earthy notes on nose. Definitely getting more of this. B+

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.**