Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] '99 Pegau CdP

Sunday we celebrated my [redacted] birthday with a simple dinner at home
of roast rack of lamb. With this meal I opened:

1999 Domaine du Pégaü Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvée Réservée
nose: kirsch, earth, leather
palate: medium body, firm acidity, fully resolved tannins

For my taste, this wine was both completely ready and also stylistically
appealing, neither overly alcoholic nor showing any roasted or raisined
character. An excellent match for the lamb, too.

Before the meal, I opened several presents from Jean and Andrew, the
last of which was a bottle of 1945 Dom. Huët Le Haut Lieu Moelleux that
she had purchased from Chambers St. Coming from a woman who is
infinitely skeptical of aging white wines, this is true love ;-)

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default '99 Pegau CdP

On Jun 8, 1:07�am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Sunday we celebrated my [redacted] birthday with a simple dinner at home
> of roast rack of lamb. �With this meal I opened:
>
> 1999 Domaine du P�ga� Chateauneuf du Pape Cuv�e R�serv�e
> nose: kirsch, earth, leather
> palate: medium body, firm acidity, fully resolved tannins
>
> For my taste, this wine was both completely ready and also stylistically
> appealing, neither overly alcoholic nor showing any roasted or raisined
> character. �An excellent match for the lamb, too.
>
> Before the meal, I opened several presents from Jean and Andrew, the
> last of which was a bottle of 1945 Dom. Hu�t Le Haut Lieu Moelleux that
> she had purchased from Chambers St. �Coming from a woman who is
> infinitely skeptical of aging white wines, this is true love ;-)
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Congrats on your birthday. I Have a few bottles of the 1999 Pegau
Reservee left so I will be drinking them over the next few years.
Sounds like you wife is a keeper! :-)
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 8, 1:07*am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Sunday we celebrated my [redacted] birthday with a simple dinner at home
> of roast rack of lamb. *With this meal I opened:
>
> 1999 Domaine du Pégaü Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvée Réservée
> nose: kirsch, earth, leather
> palate: medium body, firm acidity, fully resolved tannins
>
> For my taste, this wine was both completely ready and also stylistically
> appealing, neither overly alcoholic nor showing any roasted or raisined
> character. *An excellent match for the lamb, too.
>
> Before the meal, I opened several presents from Jean and Andrew, the
> last of which was a bottle of 1945 Dom. Huët Le Haut Lieu Moelleux that
> she had purchased from Chambers St. *Coming from a woman who is
> infinitely skeptical of aging white wines, this is true love ;-)
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Happy Birthday!
I like the 99 vintage in Southern Rhone, maybe not one for the ages
but nice drinkers now. No jamminess/roasticity (I made up words!) at
least with non-extreme makers.
Congrats on the 45 LHL, a wonderful wine

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 7, 11:07*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Sunday we celebrated my [redacted] birthday with a simple dinner at home
> of roast rack of lamb. *With this meal I opened:
>
> 1999 Domaine du Pégaü Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvée Réservée
> nose: kirsch, earth, leather
> palate: medium body, firm acidity, fully resolved tannins
>
> For my taste, this wine was both completely ready and also stylistically
> appealing, neither overly alcoholic nor showing any roasted or raisined
> character. *An excellent match for the lamb, too.
>
> Before the meal, I opened several presents from Jean and Andrew, the
> last of which was a bottle of 1945 Dom. Huët Le Haut Lieu Moelleux that
> she had purchased from Chambers St. *Coming from a woman who is
> infinitely skeptical of aging white wines, this is true love ;-)
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Happy birthday Mark. I only have one bottle left of the Pegau but it
sounds like it is ready now. The last one opened in 2007, I didn't
feel was ready.
Posted to alt.food.wine

The heck with the Pagau, Mark, pop that Huet and let's hear about
THAT!!

And happy birthday!

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 06/08/2010 04:45 PM, Bill S. wrote:
> The heck with the Pagau, Mark, pop that Huet and let's hear about
> THAT!!
>
> And happy birthday!

I'm down with that! Now about bottles you can bring to France, the Huet
needs to come home to expire.

Happy Birthday, Mark.

-E
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 9, 12:36*am, Emery Davis > wrote:

> I'm down with that! *Now about bottles you can bring to France, the Huet
> needs to come home to expire.

Emery - remind me where are you living. I'll be over in the Rhone in
the Fall. We could try to talk Mr Hoare out of Forges for a CNduP
frenzy......
Posted to alt.food.wine

Hi there Brer Spohn

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 06:37:17 -0700 (PDT), "Bill S." >
wrote:

>On Jun 9, 12:36*am, Emery Davis > wrote:

>> I'm down with that! *Now about bottles you can bring to France, the Huet needs to come home to expire.

>Emery - remind me where are you living. I'll be over in the Rhone in >the Fall. We could try to talk Mr Hoare out of Forges for a CNduP
>frenzy......

As it happens.....
Dunno whether it will still be alive, but I do have one single bottle
of Domaine de Mont Redon 1967 that might be persuaded to give its all.
Although it's not CdP, Beaumes de Venise is nearby and Domaine Durban
is (IMNSHO) the best Muscat producer there.

Emery lives in Normandy iirc. Forges is about equidistant from
Normandy and CdP. (innocent whistle) - and Mr T in Six Fours. And Mr H
should be getting the wherewithall to cook sous vide "real soon now"
and is it worth pointing out at the technique was invented in France
to cook foie gras?

All the best
Fatty in Forges

http://www.souvigne.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

Ian Hoare wrote:

> Emery lives in Normandy iirc. Forges is about equidistant from
> Normandy and CdP. (innocent whistle) - and Mr T in Six Fours. And Mr H
> should be getting the wherewithall to cook sous vide "real soon now"
> and is it worth pointing out at the technique was invented in France
> to cook foie gras?
>
> All the best
> Fatty in Forges
>
> http://www.souvigne.com

I do hope to read about your sous vide adventures soon, Ian. And will
you rename your little auberge La Sous Vide? :P

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 06/10/2010 01:10 AM, Ian Hoare wrote:
> Hi there Brer Spohn
>
> On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 06:37:17 -0700 (PDT), "Bill S." >
> wrote:
>
>> On Jun 9, 12:36 am, Emery Davis > wrote:

>>> I'm down with that! Now about bottles you can bring to France, the Huet needs to come home to expire.

>> Emery - remind me where are you living. I'll be over in the Rhone in >the Fall. We could try to talk Mr Hoare out of Forges for a CNduP
>> frenzy......

Actually currently splitting time between Paris and Normandy, which
makes the CdP commute even easier. It sounds as if we may have a
meeting in the planning!

> As it happens.....
> Dunno whether it will still be alive, but I do have one single bottle
> of Domaine de Mont Redon 1967 that might be persuaded to give its all.
> Although it's not CdP, Beaumes de Venise is nearby and Domaine Durban
> is (IMNSHO) the best Muscat producer there.

Agree about the quality of Durban, an old bottle would be interesting.
A visit to Durban is always nice, it is one of the beautiful places of
the planet.

Don't have anything from the glory days of Mont Redon, but I presume I
could find an interesting neck or two...

> Emery lives in Normandy iirc. Forges is about equidistant from
> Normandy and CdP. (innocent whistle) - and Mr T in Six Fours. And Mr H
> should be getting the wherewithall to cook sous vide "real soon now"
> and is it worth pointing out at the technique was invented in France
> to cook foie gras?

Ah ha, you provide the foies!

-E

> All the best
> Fatty in Forges
>
> http://www.souvigne.com

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 9, 7:10�pm, Ian Hoare > wrote:
> Hi there Brer Spohn
>
> On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 06:37:17 -0700 (PDT), "Bill S." >
> wrote:
>
> >On Jun 9, 12:36 am, Emery Davis > wrote:
> >> I'm down with that! Now about bottles you can bring to France, the Huet needs to come home to expire.

> >Emery - remind me where are you living. I'll be over in the Rhone in >the Fall. �We could try to talk Mr Hoare out of Forges for a CNduP
> >frenzy......

> As it happens.....
> Dunno whether it will still be alive, but I do have one single bottle
> of Domaine de Mont Redon 1967 that might be persuaded to give its all.
> Although it's not CdP, Beaumes de Venise is nearby and Domaine Durban
> is (IMNSHO) the best Muscat producer there.
>
> Emery lives in Normandy iirc. Forges is about equidistant from
> Normandy and CdP. (innocent whistle) - and Mr T in Six Fours. And Mr H
> should be getting the wherewithall to cook sous vide "real soon now"
> and is it worth pointing out at the technique was invented in France
> to cook foie gras?
>
> All the best
> Fatty in Forges
>
> http://www.souvigne.com

I did the sous vide lobster on Sunday. Easy to prepare. I wasn't
totally sure of the timing but managed to guess right as I did the
tail meat a bit longer than the claws. I thought the claws were a bit
mushy as they are already a bit soft but the tails were tender and
moist.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Hi guys,

CdP. and Domaine Durban. The Muscat isn't THAT old, but is always
interesting IMO. Mind you.,... I do have a tine little flask of
"Essence de Chénin" that should make Mike prick his ears up. I'd like
to have had some Graal and a Tokaji Eszencia to taste against it, but

I'll wait for the "right" moment and breathe a word in Jacquie's
shell-like.

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 00:08:25 -0400, Mark Lipton >
wrote:

>I do hope to read about your sous vide adventures soon, Ian. And will
>you rename your little auberge La Sous Vide? :P

Try and stop me. I've posted up some info in the FLDG where there's
orlready a thread on it and honestly it IS a touch more on topic.

I had some good news this morning. "My man in Havana" Graham (should I
name him "nonverdi" as in "Clemens non papa") went storming into Lidl
this morning and came home triumphantly bearing the sterilizer that I
hope to be able to use. Apparently his wife's clothing allocation has
been reduced to a string and a summer dress.

So as soon as things just _begin_ to settle down a tad after the 18th
(when Graham nonverdi arrives, and there's a big wedding coming up)
there'll be no stopping me. With Lobster costing what it does, I don't
think it'll be one of the first things we'll try, but I've heard good
things about duck legs, chicken, pork belly, and short ribs.
All the best
Fatty in Forges

http://www.souvigne.com

{TN] '98 Pegau Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 0 30-06-2012 03:15 AM
'85 Cos, '00 Pegau, etc. Bi!! Wine 0 23-12-2009 04:50 PM
Pegau in Vermont Bi!! Wine 0 15-10-2008 07:06 PM
Les Cailloux and Pegau Bill S. Wine 4 21-06-2008 12:57 AM
[TN] 1994 Dom. du Pegau Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 3 09-01-2008 09:26 PM