Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: hard wine weekend (premOx Bdx, TCA in the Burg, spoofy Bdx, ,etc)

Busy week at work, lots of stuff to do on house, out of town relatives
visiting, by Friday I looked forward to coming home to good food and
good wine. Unfortunately, I had a speech at a church in a neighboring
village about the time Betsy needed to eat. So I did my speech,
excused myself afterwards, and came home to a plate Betsy had left for
me- chicken schnitzel on top of arugula and herbs (with a lemon
anchovy dressing), and a wheatberry salad. Pretty delicious, and I
looked forward to it with my 2007 Roulot Bourgogne Blanc.
Unfortunately, the wine was corked beyond belief. I even tried a
different glass in case it was my stem, but no- TCA supreme. Bummer.

I grabbed another white to chill. Meanwhile, I helped Dave with his
taxes before having my wine and seconds on the chicken. He asked for a
glass of red, I opened the Old Fields Vineyard Rooster Tail (North
Fork Long Island, NV as far as I can tell). Lighter styed, earth,
herbs, green pepper, red fruit. Probably mostly Cab Franc. Not bad,
could pass for Bourgueil. B/B- (disclaimer, know owners, though
haven't seen in a few years)

OK, seconds on the schnitzel, with white #2 - the 2001 La Louviere
blanc (Pessac-Leognan). I really liked previous bottle from same lot,
but this is pushing towards the graveyard. Citrus and melon, some oak,
but intrusive oxidative notes. If this was 19 (or 29) instead of 9 I'd
call acceptable, but this is premature oxidation. Not my first PremOx
white Bdx from mid-90s on, what do they have in common with Burgs?
This was somewhat drinkable, but a B-/C-, after really enjoying a
bottle year or two ago.

So Saturday should be better, right? When I wasn't at office, I was
working in yard. So when imaginary whistle blew at 4:45, I was ready
for relaxing night. No lunch, so early dinner. I had thawed prime
(yes, Costco now has prime!) strip, sauteed some shiitakes and beech
shrooms, made a salad, and gotten out the wheatberries. I had also
brought up the 2006 Ch. Teyssier (St Emilion). This is Bordeaux?
Spoofy Merlot, sweet to supersweet with oak, green herbs, and short
finish. No no no, this can't be my reward for long day. C+

So I opened a half bottle of 2004 Bahans Haut Brion. And promptly hit
the bottle with my elbow as I turned around, spilling more than half.
Wiping up (and trying to keep Basset from licking up what ran from
counter onto floor), I realize that of course the wine I spilled would
be best of weekend. I'd guess 150 ml stayed in bottle, so I had one
good glass. And good it was. Lovely, balanced, solid black fruit with
a clear dose of Grave soil and tobacco. The baby HB looked like its
daddy, and was really quite fine. A bit tannic, but I had with the
steak, so no big deal. B++

So it's 7 PM, I've finished my glass of BHB and I'm staring at the
Teyssier. No, don't think so. Open yet another bottle? Why not. OK,
here's the 1993 Havens Merlot Reserve (Carneros, Napa). 16 year old
Napa Merlot? Not a problem. Fairly youthful fruit, full and sweet. A
hint of cowdung, but not problematic. This isn't that complex, but
it's alive, tasty, and best bottle I didn't spill this weekend (so
far). I can't say that's it's less ripe than the Teyssier, but hey (a)
it's Cali, so expectations differ, (b) oak doesn't stick out, and (c)
it's longer and more interesting. B+/B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 06:16:26 -0700, DaleW wrote:

> So I opened a half bottle of 2004 Bahans Haut Brion. And promptly hit
> the bottle with my elbow as I turned around, spilling more than half.
> Wiping up (and trying to keep Basset from licking up what ran from
> counter onto floor)

Why are you against Basset having some quality licking material? ;-)

Godzilla
Posted to alt.food.wine

Godzilla Lizard > wrote in news:2dc06$4bc1f00a
:

> Why are you against Basset having some quality licking material? ;-)

Because Basset is a very intelligent dog and next time he would bump every
table with a bottle on top so that there is something to lick? ))

s.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 4/11/10 9:16 AM, DaleW wrote:

> So I opened a half bottle of 2004 Bahans Haut Brion. And promptly hit
> the bottle with my elbow as I turned around, spilling more than half.
> Wiping up (and trying to keep Basset from licking up what ran from
> counter onto floor), I realize that of course the wine I spilled would
> be best of weekend. I'd guess 150 ml stayed in bottle, so I had one
> good glass. And good it was. Lovely, balanced, solid black fruit with
> a clear dose of Grave soil and tobacco. The baby HB looked like its
> daddy, and was really quite fine. A bit tannic, but I had with the
> steak, so no big deal. B++

Bummer about the BHB, Dale, and my sympathies about your week. Here's
hoping that this week is calmer and the wines are more cooperative.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 11, 11:51*am, Godzilla Lizard > wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 06:16:26 -0700, DaleW wrote:
> > So I opened a half bottle of 2004 Bahans Haut Brion. And promptly hit
> > the bottle with my elbow as I turned around, spilling more than half.
> > Wiping up (and trying to keep Basset from licking up what ran from
> > counter onto floor)

> Why are you against Basset having some quality licking material? ;-)
>
> Godzilla

Ever seen a druink Basset?

She's never drunk much wine, but one night we were cleaning up after a
big outdoor party, several half filled beer bottles. Slugs had been
eating Betsy's vegetable garden, one suggested solution was bowls of
beer. We put out,and then forgot when we let Lucy out to pea. We
discovered the empty (shredded) paper bowls, and then had a dog who
slept VERY deeply,.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 12, 9:40*am, santiago > wrote:
> Godzilla Lizard > wrote in news:2dc06$4bc1f00a
> :
>

> > Why are you against Basset having some quality licking material? ;-)

> Because Basset is a very intelligent dog and next time he would bump every
> table with a bottle on top so that there is something to lick? ))
>
> s.

yes, we have enough to worry about with her trying to steal food.
Posted to alt.food.wine

"DaleW" > skrev i melding
>.... We put out,and then forgot when we let Lucy out to pea.

So, you have peas in the garden?

:-) Anders