Posted to alt.food.wine

Default N: week;s wine (Burg, CA, Loire, etc)

With fluke and barley, the 2012 Dampt Chablis "Cote de Lechet" Chablis 1er. Appley fruit, some chalk and white rock, decent length. B

Sunday I had an all day meeting while Betsy had a concert on Long Island, she ate with her colleagues while I had assorted leftovers and the 2003 Lafarge Volnay Vendanges Selectionees. I bought few 2003 Burgs, but this was one I thought had potential (I'm a "producer, producer, producer" guy), though tannic when young. So the good news is that it doesn't come across as tannic or overripe, the bad news is that it isn't especially interesting or tasty. Cassis fruit (in Volnay?) , strained acidity, short . C+

Monday I did " eggs in hell" over pasta with the JP Brun/Terres Dorees FRV100, Fun and frothy (a bit too frothy, I had to change the tablecloth after an inept opening). Some RS, herbs and spice, different and fun wine. B+/B

Tuesday was grilled teriyaki salmon, asparagus, and leftover barley with furikake (because I plugged in rice cooker but forgot to turn on). Wine was an unconventional match, the 2009 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco. Riper than most young PdB Barbaresco, red cherries and leather, moderate tannins, needs time, I like don't love. B

Wednesday was a chicken fricasee with cherry tomatoes, I wasn't drinking as I taking a group to Manhattan, but Betsy used the 2012 Horgelus Sauvignon Blanc/Gros Manseng (Gascony) for cooking. I tried the next night - would have guessed any SB, this was round with mostly floral notes, more like a white Rhone (but not a very good one). On other hand, it was under $5. C+

Last night we had some friends over who hadn't seen Dave in a while. Opener was the 2002 La Tour Grise Saumur Brut Non Dose. Dry, nutty, a bit sharp. B

First course was deviled squid (broiled with mustard and panko), with the 2011 Rollin Bourgogne Hautes-Cotes de Beaune Blanc. Surprisingly full for appellation, good acidity, clean Chardonnay white fruits, this is a buy-again. B+

Main was grilled flank steak, a quinoa/wild rice mix, roasted kale
2009 Breton "Franc de Pied" Bourgueil
I actually thought I was bringing up the 05, oops. This was a bit muted at first, but opened nicely, and I think was most people's fave. Rich dark berries, a little herb, a tad rounder than I expected, but great length for a $20ish bottle. Got better and better through night. B++

2011 Rollin Hautes-Cotes de Beaune Rouge
Bright, minerally fresh Burg with raspberries and earth. B+/B

2001 Phelps Cabernet Sauvignon
Slightly kirschy fruit, some vanilla still apparent, mostly resolved tannins, holding on but not my favorite this night. B-

Tonight, littlenecks in a garlic sauce over pasta, with a salad with bacon and mushrooms, and the Fiano
Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Posted to alt.food.wine

chopped off end
2012 Mastrobernarino Fiano di Avellino (Radici). Round but not flabbly, white blossoms over pears, good length. B/B+
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> With fluke and barley, the 2012 Dampt Chablis "Cote de Lechet"
> Chablis 1er. Appley fruit, some chalk and white rock, decent length.

Was that Sebastian Dampt, Dale? (Fass Selections import) If so, I've
got some of that. The '11 was an OK example of Chablis, but didn't wow me.

> Monday I did " eggs in hell" over pasta with the JP Brun/Terres
> Dorees FRV100, Fun and frothy (a bit too frothy, I had to change the
> tablecloth after an inept opening). Some RS, herbs and spice,
> different and fun wine. B+/B

LOL! It is a fun wine, Dale. Pity about the tablecloth.

> 2011 Rollin Hautes-Cotes de Beaune Rouge Bright, minerally fresh
> Burg with raspberries and earth. B+/B

I've heard very good things about Rollin, but only have his '06 P-V Iles
des Vergelesses. I'm still sitting on that one.

Thanks for the interesting notes.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Friday, April 11, 2014 8:34:07 PM UTC-6, DaleW wrote:
> [...]
>

> 2011 Rollin Hautes-Cotes de Beaune Rouge
>
> Bright, minerally fresh Burg with raspberries and earth. B+/B
>

> 2001 Phelps Cabernet Sauvignon
>
> Slightly kirschy fruit, some vanilla still apparent, mostly resolved tannins, holding on but not my favorite this night. B-
>

> Tonight, littlenecks in a garlic sauce over pasta, with a salad with bacon and mushrooms, and the Fiano
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Had the 209 Produttorio de Barbaresco Barbaresco last Saturday at a wine tasting. I didn't like it at all and wouldn't have rated above a B-. Very harsh with little flavor at all. Maybe it will come together but may be 5 or more years.