Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Easter wines (Rioja, Bdx, Burgs, assorted others)

Saturday I grilled some squid, served with a fiddlehead and French
horn salad and chard gratin. Wine was the 2007 Fourrier Bourgogne
Blanc. I'm a big fan of Fourrier's reds, and was looking forward to my
first white. I have to say I was a little disappointed. Not a bad
wine- nice acid balance, good length - but somehow this bored me. The
fruit seemed just a touch flat, and though I had been told this was
raised in neutral barrels there seemed to be some unintegrated oak
notes. Maybe I was just having a bad palate night, but this never
excited me. I took remnants to a party next day, but never retasted.
For me, not a rebuy at $20. B-

So Easter Sunday I went to sister-in-laws', bearing wine and "eggs on
eggs" (deviled eggs with caviar). Absolutely gorgeous day, and the big
crowd spread outside, with the kids hunting eggs in waves. Lots of
interesting food (salmon, paella, a great slaw, etc) and some wine:

2008 Nora "Peitan" Albarino
I just wrote a note on this (I split a sale case with bro-in-law).
Pretty consistent- apples and peaches, clean, good acidity. Nice for a
warm day. B/B-

2004 Gran Vecco Chardonnay Reserve (Mendoza)
Thank god this was a plastic cup event- made it easy to just set this
down and get a new cup without having to publicly dump. Bottle was
almost empty, I can't believe people drank this. Flat, short,
maderized, seems like it had some RS hanging in. Doubt this was good
on release, now a D

2009 Box o' Birds Sauvignon Blanc (Marlborough, I believe)
Grapefruit and gooseberry, just a hint of sweetness, pretty good for a
cheap SB. B-/B

2007 Brocard "Vaillons" Chablis 1er
Really showing well, crisp apples and citrus, floral, nice chalkiness
on finish. Very good length, fine bottle of Chablis. B++

2006 Meridian Merlot
Low hopes for this one, not even met, though to be fair it was quite
warm- sunshine straight on it. Sweet, low acid, raspberry and plum
jam. Another cup abandoned. As served, C-

2007 Domaine de la Patience Merlot (VdP du Gard)
A little hint of brett on nose, but it blows off, a soft Merlot with
red plum fruit. Good finish for level. B/B-

2007 Perrin Cotes du Rhone
Pretty solid Rhone, red fruit, sweet without being jammy, some herbal
notes. B

Fun afternoon, but we were having friends and their dog over for
dinner, so I headed home to set the table and put the leg of lamb in
the oven. Dinner was lamb (rosemary, thyme, and garlic), roasted
potatoes, and sauteed spinach.

Greeting wine was the 1999 Charles Ellner "Cuvee Prestige" Champagne
Brut. Nice larger framed bubbly, bready, good acidity under the big
body. This isn't the most complex, but for price it's a good deal if
you like heavier styles. B

I put out a selection and let Ron choose the reds:

2001 Rocher Bellevue Figeac (St Emilion)
Solid if unexciting- red and black plums, a little cocoa, balanced
acidity, resolved tannins. B/B-

1981 Lopez de Heredia "Tondonia" Rioja Reserva.
I've had (and loved) the 81 Tondonia GR, but wondered how the regular
Reserva would have held out. Very well, as a matter of fact. Seems
light and acidic on pouring, but quickly puts on body. Beautiful sweet
red raspberry and strawberry fruit, lots of citrus zest, pretty and
long. Wine is deceptive - seems lighter styled, yet when you pay
attention it is concentrated and full. My Wine of Easter. A-

2001 Bernadotte (Haut Medoc)
I think our guests slightly preferred this. Big black fruit, some
hints of earth and oak. I found this a bit primary, but a good
Bordeaux for level (but friends really loved). B

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

TN: Burgs, Lake County, assorted CS, Loire,etc DaleW Wine 5 16-12-2011 08:27 PM
TN: Burgs and a Rioja DaleW Wine 0 10-04-2011 01:40 AM
TN: Burgs and a Rioja DaleW Wine 1 05-04-2011 05:24 PM
TN: Assorted wines - Brunello, CA, south of France, Loire, Rioja, etc DaleW Wine 0 06-06-2009 07:05 PM
TN: assorted wines of the week (some modest Burgs win) Dale Williams Wine 0 12-12-2004 10:02 PM