Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Burgs and a Rioja

I prepared dinner Saturday while Betsy played matinee, flounder with a caper sauce, slivered snow peas, and leftover cauliflower. Wine was the 2006 Matrot "Perrieres" Meursault 1er. Wow,. this comes across as ripe with tropical fruit when first opened. Pineapple juice and mango, some floral notes, not what I think of as white Burg characteristics. With time and air it seemed to settle down and show a bit more typically, if on the big side of Burgundy (this is labelled as 13%, I'd have guessed more). The Perrieres minerality takes a while to come out, but it shows after a couple of hours, but this is still a rather fat Meursault. I enjoy most at the end, which might be an argument for aging (and certainly for decanting!), but I'm nervous re fat Chards, not to mention premOx. B/B+

Sunday I grilled chicken breast that had spent several hours in a soy/chile/mint marinade, with a soba/broccoli/pepper dish, salad, and the 2008 Zuazo Gaston Rioja. Some Spanish spice, medium bodied, cherry fruit. Good acidity. Holds well overnight. Not complex, but tasty enough. B/B-

Tonight kebabs of marinated tenderloin, mushrooms, and tomato, plus spinach salad and the 2005 Genot-Boulanger "Les Saumonts" Mercurey 1er. Red fruit, on tart side, ok for non-CdO Burg, but nothing to seek out. B/B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

*

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 4, 10:28*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> I prepared dinner Saturday while Betsy played matinee, flounder with a caper sauce, slivered snow peas, and leftover cauliflower. Wine was the 2006 Matrot "Perrieres" Meursault 1er. Wow,. this comes across as ripe with tropical fruit when first opened. Pineapple juice and mango, some floral notes, not what I think of as white Burg characteristics. With time and air it seemed to settle down and show a bit more typically, if on the big side of Burgundy (this is labelled as 13%, I'd have guessed more). The Perrieres minerality takes a while to come out, but it shows after a couple of hours, but this is still a rather fat Meursault. I enjoy most at the end, which might be an argument for aging (and certainly for decanting!), but I'm nervous re fat Chards, not to mention premOx. B/B+
>
> Sunday I grilled chicken breast that had spent several hours in a soy/chile/mint marinade, with a soba/broccoli/pepper dish, salad, and the 2008 Zuazo Gaston Rioja. Some Spanish spice, medium bodied, cherry fruit. Good acidity. Holds well overnight. Not complex, but tasty enough. B/B-
>
> Tonight kebabs of marinated tenderloin, mushrooms, and tomato, plus spinach salad and the 2005 Genot-Boulanger "Les Saumonts" Mercurey 1er. Red fruit, on tart side, ok for non-CdO Burg, but nothing to seek out. B/B-
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
>
> *

I've never had great luck with Matrot. Not sure why, but it is one of
the only white Burgs that I can reasonably find in 375's and perhaps
it's the smaller format. I've had a number of premox issues and
occasional VA. Haven't had the Perrieres in a few years.

TN: '78/'04/'11 Burgs, '71/'01 Bdx, Champagnes, Rioja, PG DaleW Wine 0 25-10-2016 01:39 AM
TN: Burgs and a Rioja DaleW Wine 0 10-04-2011 01:40 AM
TN: Burgs, Rioja, Rhone, Bdx, Loire, and Valpo at La Panetierre Ronin Wine 7 17-04-2010 09:29 PM
TN: Easter wines (Rioja, Bdx, Burgs, assorted others) DaleW Wine 0 05-04-2010 02:28 PM
TN: SOBER at my house (Bdx, Burgs, Alsace, Rioja, and MSR) DaleW Wine 3 07-11-2008 01:29 AM