Posted to alt.food.wine
dim dim is offline

Default Opinion on 1974 DRC Richebourg

I have a chance to buy a bottle of this for $400. What might it be
like at this point and is that a good price?

Dimitri
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 25, 12:21*am, dim > wrote:
> I have a chance to buy a bottle of this for $400. What might it be
> like at this point and is that a good price?

The red Burgundy of 1974 was nearly all poor and light. At this late
date, it may be very difficult to find a bottle that is even drinkable
for most tastes. In a massive 1997 book on Burgundy, Clive Coates,
M.W., did not even bother to have a section on vintage assessments for
1974 red Burgundy. In a 2002 book, Michael Broadbent, M.W., who rates
on a 5 point scale, did not give 1974 red Burgundy any points in
general. He does mention that he last tasted the 1974 DRC Richebourg
in the 1980s and noted only fragrant vinosity. People buy wines from
famous estates for various reasons. However, if you are interested in
the drinking quality at this time, I think your odds of getting
something you like would be greatly increased by spending the $400 on
something else.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 25/03/2010 05:21, dim wrote:

> I have a chance to buy a bottle of this for $400. What might it be
> like at this point and is that a good price?

Wine-searcher shows only 2 single 75cl bottles retailing worldwide - one
with a price of $500 and one $600. Read into that what you will.

--
www.winenous.co.uk
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 25, 2:17*am, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
> On Mar 25, 12:21*am, dim > wrote:
>
> > I have a chance to buy a bottle of this for $400. What might it be
> > like at this point and is that a good price?

> The red Burgundy of 1974 was nearly all poor and light. At this late
> date, it may be very difficult to find a bottle that is even drinkable
> for most tastes. In a massive 1997 book on Burgundy, Clive Coates,
> M.W., did not even bother to have a section on vintage assessments for
> 1974 red Burgundy. In a 2002 book, Michael Broadbent, M.W., who rates
> on a 5 point scale, did not give 1974 red Burgundy any points in
> general. He does mention that he last tasted the 1974 DRC Richebourg
> in the 1980s and noted only fragrant vinosity. People buy wines from
> famous estates for various reasons. However, if you are interested in
> the drinking quality at this time, I think your odds of getting
> something you like would be greatly increased by spending the $400 on
> something else.

I suppose if you're born in 1974 and desperately want to drink DRC on
your 40th, you mind find mental value, but unlikely taste value.
FWIW, CT lists the quarterly auction value as $330. 74s of course
aren't a big auction item, so I'd assume small sample
I see Schneiders in DC has the 74 DRC GE for $300, if getting a DRC
from 74 is the goal,

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 25, 11:32*am, DaleW > wrote:
> On Mar 25, 2:17*am, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
>

> > On Mar 25, 12:21*am, dim > wrote:

> > > I have a chance to buy a bottle of this for $400. What might it be
> > > like at this point and is that a good price?

> > The red Burgundy of 1974 was nearly all poor and light. At this late
> > date, it may be very difficult to find a bottle that is even drinkable
> > for most tastes. In a massive 1997 book on Burgundy, Clive Coates,
> > M.W., did not even bother to have a section on vintage assessments for
> > 1974 red Burgundy. In a 2002 book, Michael Broadbent, M.W., who rates
> > on a 5 point scale, did not give 1974 red Burgundy any points in
> > general. He does mention that he last tasted the 1974 DRC Richebourg
> > in the 1980s and noted only fragrant vinosity. People buy wines from
> > famous estates for various reasons. However, if you are interested in
> > the drinking quality at this time, I think your odds of getting
> > something you like would be greatly increased by spending the $400 on
> > something else.

> I suppose if you're born in 1974 and desperately want to drink DRC on
> your 40th, you mind find mental value, but unlikely taste value.
> FWIW, CT lists the quarterly auction value as $330. 74s of course
> aren't a big auction item, so I'd assume small sample
> I see Schneiders in DC has the 74 DRC GE for $300, if getting a DRC
> from 74 is the goal,

The year 1974 was not the best in much of Europe, and one would have a
difficult time finding a good one still holding well at this late
date. There may be a few traditional Italian reds that had a decent
reputation in1974 and might still be alive. If very well stored, a few
of the California Cabernet Sauvignons are still good. I believe Ridge
may have a 74 or two that still is very good. Unless someone expresses
an interest in the year 1974 for whatever reason, I will not take the
time to look up tasting notes for any I have had in the past few years.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 25, 12:57*pm, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
> On Mar 25, 11:32*am, DaleW > wrote:

> > > The red Burgundy of 1974 was nearly all poor and light. At this late
> > > date, it may be very difficult to find a bottle that is even drinkable
> > > for most tastes. In a massive 1997 book on Burgundy, Clive Coates,
> > > M.W., did not even bother to have a section on vintage assessments for
> > > 1974 red Burgundy. In a 2002 book, Michael Broadbent, M.W., who rates
> > > on a 5 point scale, did not give 1974 red Burgundy any points in
> > > general. He does mention that he last tasted the 1974 DRC Richebourg
> > > in the 1980s and noted only fragrant vinosity. People buy wines from
> > > famous estates for various reasons. However, if you are interested in
> > > the drinking quality at this time, I think your odds of getting
> > > something you like would be greatly increased by spending the $400 on
> > > something else.

> > I suppose if you're born in 1974 and desperately want to drink DRC on
> > your 40th, you mind find mental value, but unlikely taste value.
> > FWIW, CT lists the quarterly auction value as $330. 74s of course
> > aren't a big auction item, so I'd assume small sample
> > I see Schneiders in DC has the 74 DRC GE for $300, if getting a DRC
> > from 74 is the goal,

> The year 1974 was not the best in much of Europe, and one would have a
> difficult time finding a good one still holding well at this late
> date. There may be a few traditional Italian reds that had a decent
> reputation in1974 and might still be alive. If very well stored, a few
> of the California Cabernet Sauvignons are still good. I believe Ridge
> may have a 74 or two that still is very good. Unless someone expresses
> an interest in the year 1974 for whatever reason, I will not take the
> time to look up tasting notes for any I have had in the past few years.

74 Heitz Marthas is great, and maybe my fave American wine of all time
from early last year
1974 Heitz Martha's Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
Chosen because apparently it's been used to counterfeit the '59 Mouton
before. Definite similarities- the same slight sense of exoticism,
notes of herbs and spice, similar ripeness. There's sandalwood and
coffee, big young ripe fruit, in the end different from the Mouton,
but also a great wine. A

of course, it's incredibly expensive.

In last 5 years I've also enjoyed couple bottles of 74 Mondavi
Reserve.
Haut Brion good but fading, La Mission Haut Brion was better, but was
from a mag.
One good not great Piedmont.

I've got a couple of lesser Cal Cabs (Krug F1 , regular Mondavi) we'll
see how they do soon
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 25, 12:25*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Mar 25, 12:57*pm, cwdjrxyz > wrote:

> > > I suppose if you're born in 1974 and desperately want to drink DRC on
> > > your 40th, you mind find mental value, but unlikely taste value.
> > > FWIW, CT lists the quarterly auction value as $330. 74s of course
> > > aren't a big auction item, so I'd assume small sample
> > > I see Schneiders in DC has the 74 DRC GE for $300, if getting a DRC
> > > from 74 is the goal,

> > The year 1974 was not the best in much of Europe, and one would have a
> > difficult time finding a good one still holding well at this late
> > date. There may be a few traditional Italian reds that had a decent
> > reputation in1974 and might still be alive. If very well stored, a few
> > of the California Cabernet Sauvignons are still good. I believe Ridge
> > may have a 74 or two that still is very good. Unless someone expresses
> > an interest in the year 1974 for whatever reason, I will not take the
> > time to look up tasting notes for any I have had in the past few years.

> 74 Heitz Marthas is great, and maybe my fave American wine of all time
> from early last year
> 1974 Heitz Martha's Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
> Chosen because apparently it's been used to counterfeit the '59 Mouton
> before. Definite similarities- the same slight sense of exoticism,
> notes of herbs and spice, similar ripeness. There's sandalwood and
> coffee, big young ripe fruit, in the end different from the Mouton,
> but also a great wine. A
>
> of course, it's incredibly expensive.
>
> In last 5 years I've also enjoyed couple bottles of 74 Mondavi
> Reserve.
> Haut Brion good but fading, La Mission Haut Brion was better, but was
> from a mag.
> One good not great Piedmont.
>
> I've got a couple of lesser Cal Cabs (Krug F1 , regular Mondavi) we'll
> see how they do soon

I do find I have one bottle of 1974 red Burgundy - Clos Saint-Denis,
Domaine Dujac. I bought 2 bottles in the late 1970s. I tasted the
first at least 15 years ago, when it was just barely drinkable for me.
I forgot about the second bottle. I suspect one would have to pay
people considerable money to drink it now. Bordeaux was barely better
than Burgundy in 1974. I tasted the 1974 Ch.Latour many years ago. It
was drinkable, but I can think of nothing else to say about it, and
even it may be too old now. The "ultimate" 1974 is the German white
Krover Nacktarsch from Kendermann. At this late date, if you served
this to a guest who has stayed much too long, it should speed them on
their way after the first sip.

I had several 1974 Barolos and Gattinaras many years ago that then
were quite decent. I suspect many of these would be too old today.
Some 1974 California CS-based wines I still have that were decent to
outstanding when tasted in the last few years a Freemark Abbey
Bosche, Robert Mondavi Reserve, Clos Duval, Ridge Monte Bello and
Joseph Phelps Insignia.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 25, 10:18�pm, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
> On Mar 25, 12:25�pm, DaleW > wrote:

> > > The year 1974 was not the best in much of Europe, and one would have a
> > > difficult time finding a good one still holding well at this late
> > > date. There may be a few traditional Italian reds that had a decent
> > > reputation in1974 and might still be alive. If very well stored, a few
> > > of the California Cabernet Sauvignons are still good. I believe Ridge
> > > may have a 74 or two that still is very good. Unless someone expresses
> > > an interest in the year 1974 for whatever reason, I will not take the
> > > time to look up tasting notes for any I have had in the past few years.

> > 74 Heitz Marthas is great, and maybe my fave American wine of all time
> > from early last year
> > 1974 Heitz Martha's Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
> > Chosen because apparently it's been used to counterfeit the '59 Mouton
> > before. Definite similarities- the same slight sense of exoticism,
> > notes of herbs and spice, similar ripeness. There's sandalwood and
> > coffee, big young ripe fruit, in the end different from the Mouton,
> > but also a great wine. A

> > of course, it's incredibly expensive.

> > In last 5 years I've also enjoyed couple bottles of 74 Mondavi
> > Reserve.
> > Haut Brion good but fading, La Mission Haut Brion was better, but was
> > from a mag.
> > One good not great Piedmont.

> > I've got a couple of lesser Cal Cabs (Krug F1 , regular Mondavi) we'll
> > see how they do soon

> I do find I have one bottle of 1974 red Burgundy - Clos Saint-Denis,
> Domaine Dujac. I bought 2 bottles in the late 1970s. I tasted the
> first at least 15 years ago, when it was just barely drinkable for me.
> I forgot about the second bottle. I suspect one would have to pay
> people considerable money to drink it now. Bordeaux was barely better
> than Burgundy in 1974. I tasted the 1974 Ch.Latour many years ago. It
> was drinkable, but I can think of nothing else to say about it, and
> even it may be too old now. The "ultimate" 1974 is the German white
> Krover Nacktarsch from Kendermann. At this late date, if you served
> this to a guest who has stayed much too long, it should speed them on
> their way after the first sip.
>
> I had several 1974 Barolos and Gattinaras many years ago that then
> were quite decent. I suspect many of these would be too old today.
> Some 1974 California CS-based wines I still have that were decent to
> outstanding when tasted in the last few years a Freemark Abbey
> Bosche, Robert Mondavi Reserve, Clos Duval, Ridge Monte Bello and
> Joseph Phelps Insignia.- Hide quoted text -

Must agree with you and Dale. I've had some terrific 1974 California
cabs, most notably the '74 Heitz Martha's that was a wine epiphany for
me. Phelps Insignia was another great '74 from Napa.
Posted to alt.food.wine

"cwdjrxyz" > skrev i melding
The "ultimate" 1974 is the German white
Krover Nacktarsch from Kendermann. At this late date, if you served
this to a guest who has stayed much too long, it should speed them on
their way after the first sip.

LOL!
The only thing famous about the Nacktarsch area (translation not given here
:-) used to be the traditional label.
A 1974 Nacktarsch really seems to be the ultimate for chasing away unwanted
guests...!

Hoewever, the area does today produce a few real good wines from the
Steffensberg, Letterlay and Paradies vineyards (the estates Staffelter Hof
and Martin Müllen head the pack, I think).

Anders

Posted to alt.food.wine

> Must agree with you and Dale. I've had some terrific 1974 California
> cabs, most notably the '74 Heitz Martha's that was a wine epiphany for
> me. Phelps Insignia was another great '74 from Napa.

Charles Krug also did a bang-up job on their '74 Cab...

TN Richebourg 1988, Domaine Leroy cwdjrxyz Wine 2 23-03-2009 06:16 PM
'04 Anne Gros Richebourg Bi!! Wine 0 19-12-2008 03:33 PM
[TN] '88 Gros Richebourg Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 7 19-03-2008 08:12 PM
[TN] Holiday wines: SBs and a Richebourg Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 0 18-03-2008 03:25 AM
TN DRC Richebourg 1970 cwdjrxyz Wine 1 30-04-2007 08:32 PM