Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] '88 Gros Richebourg

To celebrate our return to the chilly Midwest, I made caneton aux
navets, a braised duckling with turnip dish using a very gamey,
organically raised duck that had been in our freezer for a while. With
this, I opened:

1988 A.-F. Gros Richebourg
nose: initially, raspberry and pencil lead, becoming more open, with
leather, tea leaves, spices and a hint of chocolate showing up
palate: acidic entry, medium body, solid core of fruit, fine-grained tannins

This is the second bottle of this wine from an auction lot and it was
the more impressive of the two, possibly because of the match with the
gamey duck, possibly because it was 5 months older at the time of
consumption. In any case, this was a great bottle of Burgundy, more
about nose than mouth as Dale would say. As I have no other experience
with this storied vineyard, I can't say how typical a Richebourg it is,
but it is a damn fine wine regardless.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default '88 Gros Richebourg

On Mar 17, 10:39 pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:

> 1988 A.-F. Gros Richebourg
> nose: initially, raspberry and pencil lead, becoming more open, with
> leather, tea leaves, spices and a hint of chocolate showing up
> palate: acidic entry, medium body, solid core of fruit, fine-grained tannins
>
> This is the second bottle of this wine from an auction lot and it was
> the more impressive of the two, possibly because of the match with the
> gamey duck, possibly because it was 5 months older at the time of
> consumption. In any case, this was a great bottle of Burgundy, more
> about nose than mouth as Dale would say. As I have no other experience
> with this storied vineyard, I can't say how typical a Richebourg it is,
> but it is a damn fine wine regardless.

Clive Coates tasted five 1988 Richebourgs in 1991 and they are
described in his book CDote d'Or published in 1997. Of course
impressions can change over the years as the wines mature, and
different people like to drink Burgundy at different stages. I would
say that Coates likes Burgundy at best perhaps not as old as does
Broadbent, but older than does Parker, although you likely could find
many exceptions to this. Coates rates on a 20 point scale. Of the five
1988 Richebourgs, Coates liked that of Jean Grivot least and rates it
as 15. He found much to like about it, but mentions a bizarre nose. He
rates the Anne and Francois Gros as 17. He calls it delicate- more
Musigny than Richebourg. He says it is very good, but does not have
quite the extra for fine. He rates the Jean Gros a hair better at
17.5. He also rates the DRC as 17.5. He rates the Leroy top at 19.5
and called it very much an infant when tasted. He mentions great
intensity of flavor and class.

The only 1988 I have opened is Musigny VV from de Vogue. I suspect it
may now be near the peak. The only 1988 Richebourg I have is the
Leroy(2 bottles), and I do not plan to open it for a few years.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 18, 4:59 pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:

> On a different subject, I've read that Mr. Coates is coming out with a
> successor to Côte D'Or ("The Wines of Burgundy") in May. I'm already
> including it on a birthday wish list ;-)

I was not aware of that and I likely will want the book also. Clive
Coates had health problems a few years ago and had to cut back on his
very extensive work concerning wines. I believe he moved from the UK
to France. Considering the history of his interests in Burgundy, he
likely will study it as long as he is alive.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Thanks for that information. I've been drinking quite a few '88s in the
past few years, as they are reasonably priced on the auction market and
fit my tastes pretty well (I've also purchased selected '75 Bdx for the
same reason). They are still fairly hard as a group, but reward
patience and pair well with food.

On a different subject, I've read that Mr. Coates is coming out with a
successor to Côte D'Or ("The Wines of Burgundy") in May. I'm already
including it on a birthday wish list ;-)

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> To celebrate our return to the chilly Midwest, I made caneton aux
> navets, a braised duckling with turnip dish using a very gamey,
> organically raised duck that had been in our freezer for a while. With
> this, I opened:
>
> 1988 A.-F. Gros Richebourg
> nose: initially, raspberry and pencil lead, becoming more open, with
> leather, tea leaves, spices and a hint of chocolate showing up
> palate: acidic entry, medium body, solid core of fruit, fine-grained
> tannins
>
> This is the second bottle of this wine from an auction lot and it was
> the more impressive of the two, possibly because of the match with the
> gamey duck, possibly because it was 5 months older at the time of
> consumption. In any case, this was a great bottle of Burgundy, more
> about nose than mouth as Dale would say. As I have no other experience
> with this storied vineyard, I can't say how typical a Richebourg it is,
> but it is a damn fine wine regardless.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --

Mark,
I am more interested in the Duck. Why do you term it "gamey". What do you
attribute the gameness to - the duck or the freezer?

Posted to alt.food.wine

z ara wrote:

> Mark,
> I am more interested in the Duck. Why do you term it "gamey". What do you
> attribute the gameness to - the duck or the freezer?

I term it gamey because it tastes close to the wild duck (and other game
birds) that I've eaten. We've purchased ducks from this producer the
last 2-3 years and they always have a pronounced gaminess to them, a
trait that I happen to like very much, both in meat and in wine ;-) I
half expect to clomp down on a piece of birdshot when eating these, but
no lead pellets so far!

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

I have 5 bottles of '88 Richebourg domaine gros friere et soeur.

they are the last of a 30 case purchase of '88 burgundy, of which 2
were Richebourg. i made this purchase about 10 years ago from
macurther liquors (bassins)in dc. i do not know of his storage
conditions. i have a cellar that is below ground level. it is
constant 64-65 degrees F.

i was not that thrilled with the wines, and sent about 25 cases to the
chicago wine auction.

i recall my favorite ow the whole lot was a Ramonet Chassagne
Montrachet(red). had 3-4 cases of it.

how do i get rid of the last 5 bottles?

price seems to have gone up a lot.doubt if the wine has improved at
all. worst of the batch is low neck fill, one has a bit of leak on
the cap.

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 23:39:15 -0400, Mark Lipton >
wrote:

>To celebrate our return to the chilly Midwest, I made caneton aux
>navets, a braised duckling with turnip dish using a very gamey,
>organically raised duck that had been in our freezer for a while. With
>this, I opened:
>
>1988 A.-F. Gros Richebourg
>nose: initially, raspberry and pencil lead, becoming more open, with
>leather, tea leaves, spices and a hint of chocolate showing up
>palate: acidic entry, medium body, solid core of fruit, fine-grained tannins
>
>This is the second bottle of this wine from an auction lot and it was
>the more impressive of the two, possibly because of the match with the
>gamey duck, possibly because it was 5 months older at the time of
>consumption. In any case, this was a great bottle of Burgundy, more
>about nose than mouth as Dale would say. As I have no other experience
>with this storied vineyard, I can't say how typical a Richebourg it is,
>but it is a damn fine wine regardless.
>
>Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

gerald wrote:
> I have 5 bottles of '88 Richebourg domaine gros friere et soeur.

[...]
> how do i get rid of the last 5 bottles?

Winebid is probably your best outlet unless you know of a local retailer
that purchases cellars or sells on consignment. Your storage conditions
and quantity argue against going with a traditional auction house. I'm
sorry to hear that you weren't more found of those wines: '88 was a
tough year and many of the wines either still aren't ready or never will
be. Still, there are numerous gems from that year, but it does require
some selectivity.

Mark Lipton

Opinion on 1974 DRC Richebourg dim Wine 9 27-03-2010 12:21 AM
TN Richebourg 1988, Domaine Leroy cwdjrxyz Wine 2 23-03-2009 07:16 PM
'04 Anne Gros Richebourg Bi!! Wine 0 19-12-2008 04:33 PM
[TN] Holiday wines: SBs and a Richebourg Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 0 18-03-2008 04:25 AM
TN DRC Richebourg 1970 cwdjrxyz Wine 1 30-04-2007 08:32 PM