Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN Chateau Petrus 1979

I bought a case of Chateau Petrus 1979 in the early 1980s. It was
expensive for the time in the $30 range but not astronomical in price
as is nearly any recent vintage of Petrus. This is the second bottle I
have opened, and I reported on the first bottle here a few years ago.
I have found no reason to hurry to drink this or the 1971 for that
matter.

There were no cork or other issues and the fill was in the low neck..
The cork proved very difficult to remove - it nearly seemed to be
glued to the glass. The color is still quite dark and it takes an
intense light to see a bit of age showing around the rim. The wine is
fully mature. It might or might not improve a bit more. However it is
likely to keep well for many years. There is intense dark fruit with
mixed spice, both in the taste and bouquet. The tannins are resolved
and tame, but are easy to detect. There is enough acid, and the
balance is very good. I believe I like the 1971 a bit better because
it seems a bit more complex and intense than the 1979, but not much
more. At 30 years old, Petrus 1979 likely is one of the top, if not
the top, red Bordeauxs still drinking well and likely to last well for
several more years
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Dec 20, 9:32�pm, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
> I bought a case of Chateau Petrus 1979 in the early 1980s. It was
> expensive for the time in the $30 range but not astronomical in price
> as is nearly any recent vintage of Petrus. This is the second bottle I
> have opened, and I reported on the first bottle here a few years ago.
> I have found no reason to hurry to drink this or the 1971 for that
> matter.
>
> There were no cork or other issues and the fill was in the low neck..
> The cork proved very difficult to remove - it nearly seemed to be
> glued to the glass. The color is still quite dark and it takes an
> intense light to see a bit of age showing around the rim. The wine is
> fully mature. It might �or might not improve a bit more. However it is
> likely to keep well for many years. There is intense dark fruit with
> mixed spice, both in the taste and bouquet. The tannins are resolved
> and tame, but are easy to detect. There is enough acid, and the
> balance is very good. I believe I like the 1971 a bit better because
> it seems a bit more complex and intense than the 1979, but not much
> more. At 30 years old, Petrus 1979 likely is one of the top, if not
> the top, red Bordeauxs still drinking well and likely to last well for
> several more years

Thanks for the notes. I tasted the 1979 a few times with mixed
results probably due to poor storage. I like your notes since you
always have a good hisory of the wine and it's storage is top notch.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Dec 21, 12:29*pm, Ed Rasimus > wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 18:32:30 -0800 (PST), cwdjrxyz
>

> > wrote:
> >I bought a case of Chateau Petrus 1979 in the early 1980s. It was
> >expensive for the time in the $30 range but not astronomical in price
> >as is nearly any recent vintage of Petrus. This is the second bottle I
> >have opened, and I reported on the first bottle here a few years ago.
> >I have found no reason to hurry to drink this or the 1971 for that
> >matter.

> >There were no cork or other issues and the fill was in the low neck..
> >The cork proved very difficult to remove - it nearly seemed to be
> >glued to the glass. The color is still quite dark and it takes an
> >intense light to see a bit of age showing around the rim. The wine is
> >fully mature. It might *or might not improve a bit more. However it is
> >likely to keep well for many years. There is intense dark fruit with
> >mixed spice, both in the taste and bouquet. The tannins are resolved
> >and tame, but are easy to detect. There is enough acid, and the
> >balance is very good. I believe I like the 1971 a bit better because
> >it seems a bit more complex and intense than the 1979, but not much
> >more. At 30 years old, Petrus 1979 likely is one of the top, if not
> >the top, red Bordeauxs still drinking well and likely to last well for
> >several more years

> Would that cork problem be indicative of a need for re-corking at this
> relatively tender age?

I would not re-cork a bottle unless absolutely necessary. I found a
wine making supply company that sells sealing wax suitable for wine
bottles. If I plan to keep the wine myself, I remove the capsule, if
lead, clean the top of the cork and bottle neck, let everything dry
for a day or two standing up, and seal with several dips of sealing
wax. I once used USP beeswax, but this is a bit soft if you ever have
to move the wine. For a bottle with a plastic capsule, although
plastic capsules are not common on old wines, I might not bother to
remove the capsule. Sealing wax has had the test of time. The only
thing keeping some vintage Madeiras bottled long ago from leaking is
the sealing wax capsule used. The wax tends to harden and become
brittle with old age, but one can re-dip in more sealing wax to repair
if necessary. Mme. Leroy has sealed some of her Grand Cru Burgundy
with no metal or plastic capsule - just red sealing wax. I mark the
level of some of my best older wines on the bottle. I inspect the
bottles about once a year, and any that show much lowering of level
get the sealing wax treatment.

If one plans to sell the wine and it is very valuable and old, then re-
corking may be in order. However I would use a professional re-corker
and have a notary give a written statement concerning this. There
seems to be a market for empty wine bottles with famous labels on
internet auctions, and I wonder how many of these bottles get refilled
with who-knows-what.

TN: Lisini Brunello Riserva 1975 and Petrus 1979 cwdjrxyz Wine 1 20-11-2012 03:02 PM
TN: Chateau Petrus 1971 cwdjrxyz Wine 0 12-12-2011 10:02 PM
Chateau Petrus availability? Bi!! Wine 1 17-10-2009 09:08 PM
TN Chateau Palmer 1979 and Chateau La Gaffeliere 1964 cwdjrxyz Wine 1 17-09-2007 03:26 PM
Chateau Petrus Fred Wine 13 15-10-2005 06:52 PM