JB

Default Where to Stay In Napa Valley

Slightly off topic and I apologize but I'm hoping for some good
recommendations and this group should be a resource for what I'm seeking.

My wife and I will be in the San Francisco area the last week in March. I'd
like to travel over to Napa Valley while there. I'm looking at some places
to stay. I've seen the Wine Spectator reviews on Auberge du Soleil and
Calistoga Inn, the high end resorts, but I wanted to get some opinions from
others. Has anyone taken this trip before and, if so, spent the night at a
place you'd recommend? Or, heard/saw of another place that you'd like to try
out on the next visit?

TIA

John

Richard Neidich

I typically stay in more moderate places that are quaint.

Here a a couple of my favorites:

http://bordeauxhouse.com/

http://www.bbonline.com/ca/maisonfleurie/

They are not your full service hotels like Auberge, I have stayed there as
well. I like the quaintness.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

"JB" > wrote in message
. net...
> Slightly off topic and I apologize but I'm hoping for some good
> recommendations and this group should be a resource for what I'm seeking.
>
> My wife and I will be in the San Francisco area the last week in March.
> I'd
> like to travel over to Napa Valley while there. I'm looking at some places
> to stay. I've seen the Wine Spectator reviews on Auberge du Soleil and
> Calistoga Inn, the high end resorts, but I wanted to get some opinions
> from
> others. Has anyone taken this trip before and, if so, spent the night at a
> place you'd recommend? Or, heard/saw of another place that you'd like to
> try
> out on the next visit?
>
> TIA
>
> John

Richard Neidich

Most of the 2 nights only apply to weekends at most places.

"Midlife" > wrote in message
> in article , JB at
> wrote on 10/18/04 3:57 AM:
>
>> Slightly off topic and I apologize but I'm hoping for some good
>> recommendations and this group should be a resource for what I'm seeking.
>>
>> My wife and I will be in the San Francisco area the last week in March.
>> I'd
>> like to travel over to Napa Valley while there. I'm looking at some
>> places
>> to stay. I've seen the Wine Spectator reviews on Auberge du Soleil and
>> Calistoga Inn, the high end resorts, but I wanted to get some opinions
>> from
>> others. Has anyone taken this trip before and, if so, spent the night at
>> place you'd recommend? Or, heard/saw of another place that you'd like to
>> try
>> out on the next visit?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> John

> The Napa Valley has a large number of very good Bed and Breakfasts that
> are
> a good alternative to the much higher end resorts. One of the best
> proprietors is the Four Sisters group which has three B&Bs in the area.
> They're at foursisters.com. There's also a small B&B right at the Prager
> Port Works, in St. Helena. I can recommend all the above but here are
> many
> more good ones. Just Google "B and B" or "Inns" + "Napa".
>
> Since you mention spending "the night": If I recall correctly, many of the
> inns in the area have a two night minimum reservation policy, so don't be
> surprised if you encounter that. I don't think March is "in season" for
> them, however, so it may not be an issue.
>
> Enjoy!

JB

Thanks for the leads. This is exactly what I was looking for. The Bordeaux
House is within walking distance of several nice restaurants, including the
French Laundry. The price difference between Auberge du Soleil and here
would more than cover the cost of a fine meal and bottle of wine.

JB

"Richard Neidich" > wrote in message
k.net...
> I typically stay in more moderate places that are quaint.
>
> Here a a couple of my favorites:
>
> http://bordeauxhouse.com/
>
> http://www.bbonline.com/ca/maisonfleurie/
>
> They are not your full service hotels like Auberge, I have stayed there as
> well. I like the quaintness.
>
> Hope you enjoy your trip.
>

> "JB" > wrote in message
> . net...
> > Slightly off topic and I apologize but I'm hoping for some good
> > recommendations and this group should be a resource for what I'm

seeking.

> > My wife and I will be in the San Francisco area the last week in March.
> > I'd
> > like to travel over to Napa Valley while there. I'm looking at some

places
> > to stay. I've seen the Wine Spectator reviews on Auberge du Soleil and
> > Calistoga Inn, the high end resorts, but I wanted to get some opinions
> > from
> > others. Has anyone taken this trip before and, if so, spent the night at

> > place you'd recommend? Or, heard/saw of another place that you'd like to
> > try
> > out on the next visit?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > John

Richard Neidich

Both places I recomended are walking to Bistro Jeanty, Buchon and French
Laundry.

Plus Yountville is a quaint little town.

Dick

"JB" > wrote in message
. net...
> Thanks for the leads. This is exactly what I was looking for. The Bordeaux
> House is within walking distance of several nice restaurants, including
> the
> French Laundry. The price difference between Auberge du Soleil and here
> would more than cover the cost of a fine meal and bottle of wine.
>
> JB
>

> "Richard Neidich" > wrote in message
> k.net...
>> I typically stay in more moderate places that are quaint.
>>
>> Here a a couple of my favorites:
>>
>> http://bordeauxhouse.com/
>>
>> http://www.bbonline.com/ca/maisonfleurie/
>>
>> They are not your full service hotels like Auberge, I have stayed there
>> as
>> well. I like the quaintness.
>>
>> Hope you enjoy your trip.
>>

>> "JB" > wrote in message
>> . net...
>> > Slightly off topic and I apologize but I'm hoping for some good
>> > recommendations and this group should be a resource for what I'm

> seeking.
>> >
>> > My wife and I will be in the San Francisco area the last week in March.
>> > I'd
>> > like to travel over to Napa Valley while there. I'm looking at some

> places
>> > to stay. I've seen the Wine Spectator reviews on Auberge du Soleil and
>> > Calistoga Inn, the high end resorts, but I wanted to get some opinions
>> > from
>> > others. Has anyone taken this trip before and, if so, spent the night
>> > at

>> > place you'd recommend? Or, heard/saw of another place that you'd like
>> > try
>> > out on the next visit?
>> >
>> > TIA
>> >
>> > John

JB

Richard et al,

I've got 4 days in wine country. (I'm liking the Bordeaux House in
Yountville) Where would you recommend as a good place to stay for a couple
of days in Sonoma?

TIA

John

--
"Richard Neidich" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> Both places I recomended are walking to Bistro Jeanty, Buchon and French
> Laundry.
>
> Plus Yountville is a quaint little town.
>
> Dick
>
> "JB" > wrote in message
> . net...
> > Thanks for the leads. This is exactly what I was looking for. The

Bordeaux
> > House is within walking distance of several nice restaurants, including
> > the
> > French Laundry. The price difference between Auberge du Soleil and here
> > would more than cover the cost of a fine meal and bottle of wine.
> >
> > JB
> >

> > "Richard Neidich" > wrote in message
> > k.net...
> >> I typically stay in more moderate places that are quaint.
> >>
> >> Here a a couple of my favorites:
> >>
> >> http://bordeauxhouse.com/
> >>
> >> http://www.bbonline.com/ca/maisonfleurie/
> >>
> >> They are not your full service hotels like Auberge, I have stayed there
> >> as
> >> well. I like the quaintness.
> >>
> >> Hope you enjoy your trip.
> >>

> >> "JB" > wrote in message
> >> . net...

> > seeking.

March.

> > places

and

opinions

Mark Lipton

JB wrote:
> Richard et al,
>
> I've got 4 days in wine country. (I'm liking the Bordeaux House in
> Yountville) Where would you recommend as a good place to stay for a couple
> of days in Sonoma?

Sonoma's a lot bigger region than the Napa Valley. If you want to be
near the town of Sonoma and the Sonoma Valley, I'd suggest Macarthur
Place in Sonoma:

http://www.macarthurplace.com

It's a small hotel, conveniently located near the square.

Mark Lipton
Richard Neidich

I have never actually stayed in Sonoma so I cannot help..When I do Sonoma I
stay in Napa and drive accross the mountain.

Sorry.

"JB" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> Richard et al,
>
> I've got 4 days in wine country. (I'm liking the Bordeaux House in
> Yountville) Where would you recommend as a good place to stay for a couple
> of days in Sonoma?
>
> TIA
>
> John
>
> --
> "Richard Neidich" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
>> Both places I recomended are walking to Bistro Jeanty, Buchon and French
>> Laundry.
>>
>> Plus Yountville is a quaint little town.
>>
>> Dick
>>
>> "JB" > wrote in message
>> . net...
>> > Thanks for the leads. This is exactly what I was looking for. The

> Bordeaux
>> > House is within walking distance of several nice restaurants, including
>> > the
>> > French Laundry. The price difference between Auberge du Soleil and here
>> > would more than cover the cost of a fine meal and bottle of wine.
>> >
>> > JB
>> >

>> > "Richard Neidich" > wrote in message
>> > k.net...

>> > seeking.

> March.
>> > places

> and

> opinions

Dana H. Myers

Richard Neidich wrote:
> Both places I recomended are walking to Bistro Jeanty, Buchon and French
> Laundry.
>
> Plus Yountville is a quaint little town.

I remember when it was... 20 years ago...

:-)

Dana
Dana H. Myers

Richard Neidich wrote:
> Both places I recomended are walking to Bistro Jeanty, Buchon and French
> Laundry.
>
> Plus Yountville is a quaint little town.

I remember when it was... 20 years ago...

:-)

Dana
Richard Neidich

Guess that depends what your definition of quaint is.

"Dana H. Myers" > wrote in message
> Richard Neidich wrote:
>> Both places I recomended are walking to Bistro Jeanty, Buchon and French
>> Laundry.
>>
>> Plus Yountville is a quaint little town.

> I remember when it was... 20 years ago...
>
> :-)
>
> Dana

Richard Neidich

Guess that depends what your definition of quaint is.

"Dana H. Myers" > wrote in message
> Richard Neidich wrote:
>> Both places I recomended are walking to Bistro Jeanty, Buchon and French
>> Laundry.
>>
>> Plus Yountville is a quaint little town.

> I remember when it was... 20 years ago...
>
> :-)
>
> Dana

Rick Dalderis

While in Napa don't miss La Toque in Rutherford. Ken Franks restaurant is
fantastic and
a must stop. I like it better then the French Laundry. You will love the
wine parings with the fabulous food.

Rick Dalderis

"Richard Neidich" > wrote in message
news
> Most of the 2 nights only apply to weekends at most places.
>

> "Midlife" > wrote in message
>> in article , JB at
>> wrote on 10/18/04 3:57 AM:
>>
>>> Slightly off topic and I apologize but I'm hoping for some good
>>> recommendations and this group should be a resource for what I'm
>>> seeking.
>>>
>>> My wife and I will be in the San Francisco area the last week in March.
>>> I'd
>>> like to travel over to Napa Valley while there. I'm looking at some
>>> places
>>> to stay. I've seen the Wine Spectator reviews on Auberge du Soleil and
>>> Calistoga Inn, the high end resorts, but I wanted to get some opinions
>>> from
>>> others. Has anyone taken this trip before and, if so, spent the night at
>>> place you'd recommend? Or, heard/saw of another place that you'd like to
>>> try
>>> out on the next visit?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> John

>> The Napa Valley has a large number of very good Bed and Breakfasts that
>> are
>> a good alternative to the much higher end resorts. One of the best
>> proprietors is the Four Sisters group which has three B&Bs in the area.
>> They're at foursisters.com. There's also a small B&B right at the Prager
>> Port Works, in St. Helena. I can recommend all the above but here are
>> many
>> more good ones. Just Google "B and B" or "Inns" + "Napa".
>>
>> Since you mention spending "the night": If I recall correctly, many of
>> the
>> inns in the area have a two night minimum reservation policy, so don't be
>> surprised if you encounter that. I don't think March is "in season" for
>> them, however, so it may not be an issue.
>>
>> Enjoy!

Rick Dalderis

While in Napa don't miss La Toque in Rutherford. Ken Franks restaurant is
fantastic and
a must stop. I like it better then the French Laundry. You will love the
wine parings with the fabulous food.

Rick Dalderis

"Richard Neidich" > wrote in message
news
> Most of the 2 nights only apply to weekends at most places.
>

> "Midlife" > wrote in message
>> in article , JB at
>> wrote on 10/18/04 3:57 AM:
>>
>>> Slightly off topic and I apologize but I'm hoping for some good
>>> recommendations and this group should be a resource for what I'm
>>> seeking.
>>>
>>> My wife and I will be in the San Francisco area the last week in March.
>>> I'd
>>> like to travel over to Napa Valley while there. I'm looking at some
>>> places
>>> to stay. I've seen the Wine Spectator reviews on Auberge du Soleil and
>>> Calistoga Inn, the high end resorts, but I wanted to get some opinions
>>> from
>>> others. Has anyone taken this trip before and, if so, spent the night at
>>> place you'd recommend? Or, heard/saw of another place that you'd like to
>>> try
>>> out on the next visit?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> John

>> The Napa Valley has a large number of very good Bed and Breakfasts that
>> are
>> a good alternative to the much higher end resorts. One of the best
>> proprietors is the Four Sisters group which has three B&Bs in the area.
>> They're at foursisters.com. There's also a small B&B right at the Prager
>> Port Works, in St. Helena. I can recommend all the above but here are
>> many
>> more good ones. Just Google "B and B" or "Inns" + "Napa".
>>
>> Since you mention spending "the night": If I recall correctly, many of
>> the
>> inns in the area have a two night minimum reservation policy, so don't be
>> surprised if you encounter that. I don't think March is "in season" for
>> them, however, so it may not be an issue.
>>
>> Enjoy!

Pantheras

JB wrote:

> I've got 4 days in wine country. (I'm liking the Bordeaux House in
> Yountville) Where would you recommend as a good place to stay for a couple
> of days in Sonoma?

I have no idea what your budget is but there are many fine places in
Sonoma County. The Sonoma Mission Inn in Sonoma is excellent but pricey.
I would suggest Healdsburg. The Healdsburg Inn on the Plaza is a very
nice place in the middle of town. You can walk to 6 or 8 tasting rooms
from there. Over on Dry Creek road is a Best Western and Travelodge.
The Grape Leaf Inn is a very pleasant B&B. Plan on breakfast at Fitch
Mountain Eddies or Center Street Cafe. Dinner at Zin or Bistro Ralph.
Pantheras

JB wrote:

> I've got 4 days in wine country. (I'm liking the Bordeaux House in
> Yountville) Where would you recommend as a good place to stay for a couple
> of days in Sonoma?

I have no idea what your budget is but there are many fine places in
Sonoma County. The Sonoma Mission Inn in Sonoma is excellent but pricey.
I would suggest Healdsburg. The Healdsburg Inn on the Plaza is a very
nice place in the middle of town. You can walk to 6 or 8 tasting rooms
from there. Over on Dry Creek road is a Best Western and Travelodge.
The Grape Leaf Inn is a very pleasant B&B. Plan on breakfast at Fitch
Mountain Eddies or Center Street Cafe. Dinner at Zin or Bistro Ralph.
Dana H. Myers

Richard Neidich wrote:
> Guess that depends what your definition of quaint is.

Of course. If it's quaint now, you shoulda seen
it in 1975...

> "Dana H. Myers" > wrote in message
>
>>Richard Neidich wrote:
>>
>>>Both places I recomended are walking to Bistro Jeanty, Buchon and French
>>>Laundry.
>>>
>>>Plus Yountville is a quaint little town.

>>I remember when it was... 20 years ago...
>>
>>:-)
>>
>>Dana

Mark Lipton

Dana H. Myers wrote:
> Richard Neidich wrote:
>
>> Guess that depends what your definition of quaint is.

> Of course. If it's quaint now, you shoulda seen
> it in 1975...

Truth be told, Dana, there wasn't much to see in '75. As I recall from
my trips up 29 to the Yellowjacket Ranch outside of Calistoga back then,
Yountville'd pass by pretty quickly, even at the prevaling pace of a
pickup hauling a horse trailer ;-) My, how the times have changed...

Mark Lipton

Mark Lipton

Dana H. Myers wrote:
> Richard Neidich wrote:
>
>> Guess that depends what your definition of quaint is.

> Of course. If it's quaint now, you shoulda seen
> it in 1975...

Truth be told, Dana, there wasn't much to see in '75. As I recall from
my trips up 29 to the Yellowjacket Ranch outside of Calistoga back then,
Yountville'd pass by pretty quickly, even at the prevaling pace of a
pickup hauling a horse trailer ;-) My, how the times have changed...

Mark Lipton
Max Hauser

"Dana H. Myers" in ...
> Richard Neidich wrote:
> > Guess that depends what your definition of quaint is.

> Of course. If it's quaint now, you shoulda seen
> it in 1975...

To say nothing of 1965. (Actually had first-person word-of-mouth to about
1885 when I was younger, but not specifically Yountville -- I assume it was
named by then, the Yount family goes back a bit -- but the whole north bay
was regarded as pretty open country in those days, actually it still was
even in 1965, largely).

All different now of course.

-- Max

Max Hauser

"Dana H. Myers" in ...
> Richard Neidich wrote:
> > Guess that depends what your definition of quaint is.

> Of course. If it's quaint now, you shoulda seen
> it in 1975...

To say nothing of 1965. (Actually had first-person word-of-mouth to about
1885 when I was younger, but not specifically Yountville -- I assume it was
named by then, the Yount family goes back a bit -- but the whole north bay
was regarded as pretty open country in those days, actually it still was
even in 1965, largely).

All different now of course.

-- Max

Richard Neidich

I would have loved to see it in 75. My parents would not let me go back
then. I was still in high school. :-)

So, can you afford good wine on Social Security. :-)

"Dana H. Myers" > wrote in message
> Richard Neidich wrote:
>> Guess that depends what your definition of quaint is.

> Of course. If it's quaint now, you shoulda seen
> it in 1975...

>>>I remember when it was... 20 years ago...
>>>
>>>:-)
>>>
>>>Dana

Richard Neidich

I would have loved to see it in 75. My parents would not let me go back
then. I was still in high school. :-)

So, can you afford good wine on Social Security. :-)

"Dana H. Myers" > wrote in message
> Richard Neidich wrote:
>> Guess that depends what your definition of quaint is.

> Of course. If it's quaint now, you shoulda seen
> it in 1975...

>>>I remember when it was... 20 years ago...
>>>
>>>:-)
>>>
>>>Dana

Earle Jones

In article > ,
"JB" > wrote:

> Slightly off topic and I apologize but I'm hoping for some good
> recommendations and this group should be a resource for what I'm seeking.
>
> My wife and I will be in the San Francisco area the last week in March. I'd
> like to travel over to Napa Valley while there. I'm looking at some places
> to stay. I've seen the Wine Spectator reviews on Auberge du Soleil and
> Calistoga Inn, the high end resorts, but I wanted to get some opinions from
> others. Has anyone taken this trip before and, if so, spent the night at a
> place you'd recommend? Or, heard/saw of another place that you'd like to try
> out on the next visit?
>
> TIA
>
> John

*
My wife and I prefer the Calistoga area, since that puts your home
base at the north end of the Napa Valley and the south end of a
large number of Sonoma wineries. The Calistoga Inn is not what I
would call a high-end resort. There are several almost equal
hot-spring oriented inns in the area. *Don't* stay in Nance's motel
-- it's too close to the highway and therefore noisy.

Also, don't succumb to those motels right on H'Way 29, for example
around Trancas (sp?) Road. Even Dr. Wilkinson's in Calistoga is a
reasonable place.

If you drive from San Francisco, I would not go across the Bay
Bridge and head north for the city of Napa.

Go north across the GGate Bridge and turn east (right) on H'Way 37,
then H'Way 121 and follow the signs to the town of Sonoma. Stop at
the Sonoma Cheese Factory, right on the main town square, and pick
up a loaf of good bread and a chunk of cheese. Then head for a
local winery that has a good picnic area. I like Gundlach-Bundschu,
which has some reasonably priced chardonnays and an absolutely
beautiful picnic spot.

After lunch you can head east to Highway 29 and explore the Napa
Valley. I would cross over to the Silverado trail as soon as
possible -- less traffic and beautiful views.

If you have time, go north from Calistoga up toward the Dry Creek
and Russian River wineries. One of my favorite stops is the Dry
Creek Vineyards -- I've been visiting them since Dave Stare (MIT
Engineer) opened the place in 1976. I remember drinking the
free-run juice directly from the crusher -- beautiful stuff: sweet
enough to put on your pancakes!

If you have lots of time and are really just touristing, take the
gondola lift to the top of the Sterling Winery. There is a
self-guided tour and the view is fabulous! The wine is less than
fabulous, but not bad. The Merlot is probably their best.

Steer clear of those big places -- Inglenook, BV, etc. You'll see
the tour buses parked all over.

Have fun!

earle
*

PS: Re-reading the above, I think I'll join you!

--
__
__/\_\
JB

Great post! I appreciate the advice. It's looking like we're going to try
and establish a "base" for our four day stay and tour Napa and Sonoma
valleys from there, rather than pack up and move to another inn/lodge. I've
been leaning toward Yountville but I'll take a look into Calistoga based on
your input.

Thanks again.

John

--
"Earle Jones" > wrote in message
> [...]

> If you have time, go north from Calistoga up toward the Dry Creek
> and Russian River wineries. One of my favorite stops is the Dry
> Creek Vineyards -- I've been visiting them since Dave Stare (MIT
> Engineer) opened the place in 1976. I remember drinking the
> free-run juice directly from the crusher -- beautiful stuff: sweet
> enough to put on your pancakes!
>
> If you have lots of time and are really just touristing, take the
> gondola lift to the top of the Sterling Winery. There is a
> self-guided tour and the view is fabulous! The wine is less than
> fabulous, but not bad. The Merlot is probably their best.
>
> Steer clear of those big places -- Inglenook, BV, etc. You'll see
> the tour buses parked all over.
>
> Have fun!
>
> earle
> *
>
> PS: Re-reading the above, I think I'll join you!

Richard Neidich

Its all a matter or preferance. I prefer Yountville for several reasons.
Even thought its south end of Napa area it is close to the City of Napa, The
Copia, 10-15 Min from St. Helena. Also easy to get to Silverado trail and
avoid traffic.

Close and walking distance to restaurants. Never need car at night.

Also, I drove from hotel to Chateau St Jean in about 35 Minutes.

If you want to do a baloon ride over NAPA 2-3 companies launch from
Yountville accross street from hotels at Vintages. On a clear day you can
see Golden Gate and Pacific.

Again its all preferences.
"JB" > wrote in message
.net...
> [...]

>> If you have time, go north from Calistoga up toward the Dry Creek
>> and Russian River wineries. One of my favorite stops is the Dry
>> Creek Vineyards -- I've been visiting them since Dave Stare (MIT
>> Engineer) opened the place in 1976. I remember drinking the
>> free-run juice directly from the crusher -- beautiful stuff: sweet
>> enough to put on your pancakes!
>>
>> If you have lots of time and are really just touristing, take the
>> gondola lift to the top of the Sterling Winery. There is a
>> self-guided tour and the view is fabulous! The wine is less than
>> fabulous, but not bad. The Merlot is probably their best.
>>
>> Steer clear of those big places -- Inglenook, BV, etc. You'll see
>> the tour buses parked all over.
>>
>> Have fun!
>>
>> earle
>> *
>>
>> PS: Re-reading the above, I think I'll join you!

Richard Neidich

Its all a matter or preferance. I prefer Yountville for several reasons.
Even thought its south end of Napa area it is close to the City of Napa, The
Copia, 10-15 Min from St. Helena. Also easy to get to Silverado trail and
avoid traffic.

Close and walking distance to restaurants. Never need car at night.

Also, I drove from hotel to Chateau St Jean in about 35 Minutes.

If you want to do a baloon ride over NAPA 2-3 companies launch from
Yountville accross street from hotels at Vintages. On a clear day you can
see Golden Gate and Pacific.

Again its all preferences.
"JB" > wrote in message
.net...
> [...]

>> If you have time, go north from Calistoga up toward the Dry Creek
>> and Russian River wineries. One of my favorite stops is the Dry
>> Creek Vineyards -- I've been visiting them since Dave Stare (MIT
>> Engineer) opened the place in 1976. I remember drinking the
>> free-run juice directly from the crusher -- beautiful stuff: sweet
>> enough to put on your pancakes!
>>
>> If you have lots of time and are really just touristing, take the
>> gondola lift to the top of the Sterling Winery. There is a
>> self-guided tour and the view is fabulous! The wine is less than
>> fabulous, but not bad. The Merlot is probably their best.
>>
>> Steer clear of those big places -- Inglenook, BV, etc. You'll see
>> the tour buses parked all over.
>>
>> Have fun!
>>
>> earle
>> *
>>
>> PS: Re-reading the above, I think I'll join you!

Mark Lipton

Richard Neidich wrote:

> Its all a matter or preferance. I prefer Yountville for several reasons.
> Even thought its south end of Napa area it is close to the City of Napa, The
> Copia, 10-15 Min from St. Helena. Also easy to get to Silverado trail and
> avoid traffic.

Dick,
If one stays in Calistoga, the Sliverado Trail is also there for the
pickins. Lincoln Rd., the main drag connects 29 to the ST with only a couple
of stop lights in your way (it's also a short distance at the N end of the
Valley). To me, easy access to Doc Wilkinson's for "The Works" trumps all else
;-)

> Close and walking distance to restaurants. Never need car at night.
>
> Also, I drove from hotel to Chateau St Jean in about 35 Minutes.

Certainly, access to Sonoma Valley, Sonoma and the Valley of the Moon is easier
from that end of the Napa Valley, but for Geyserville, the Dry Creek, Russian
River and Alexander Valleys, Calistoga is a far better staging ground.

Mark Lipton

2002 Dominus Napa Valley Cab Bi!! Wine 0 07-06-2012 03:19 PM
Napa Valley Trip Dick N Wine 0 18-09-2010 11:55 PM
TN: '93 Conn Valley Vyds Est. res. Cab. (Napa, CA) Ronin[_27_] Wine 2 17-06-2008 02:01 AM
Napa Valley Floor Fruit EnoNut Winemaking 6 25-07-2006 06:21 PM
Napa Valley Recommendations David Cary Wine 6 12-09-2004 04:54 AM