Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: '93 Conn Valley Vyds Est. res. Cab. (Napa, CA)

Reasonably stored (not perfectly) since purchase in '96. A little
brick in the color on opening, with strong bouquet of raspberries and
shoe leather. Most noticeable on the tongue ( and rest of the mouth)
was tannins - I got a case of cotton mouth, overwhelming any other
perception, but the thought of "this is going to be good" was there.

After being decanted for two hours, and with mesquite grilled filet
mignon, the boquet had reduced, and the tannins and acid had fully
integrated to a lovely mature cabernet sauvignon. Absolutely delicious
- what I save wines in the cellar for.

JB

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton wrote:
> Ronin wrote:
>> Reasonably stored (not perfectly) since purchase in '96. A little brick
>> in the color on opening, with strong bouquet of raspberries and shoe
>> leather. Most noticeable on the tongue ( and rest of the mouth) was
>> tannins - I got a case of cotton mouth, overwhelming any other
>> perception, but the thought of "this is going to be good" was there.
>>
>> After being decanted for two hours, and with mesquite grilled filet
>> mignon, the boquet had reduced, and the tannins and acid had fully
>> integrated to a lovely mature cabernet sauvignon. Absolutely delicious
>> - what I save wines in the cellar for.

> That sounds like a great bottle you had. I cellared a few '93s but was
> getting price fatigue right about that time... For pure entertainment
> value: have you heard of Todd Anderson (aka "The Todd")'s new venture
> Ghost Horse? There was quite an amusing thread on the eBob wine forum
> concerning that winery within the last 6 months, but the
> Naz...er...moderator may have nuked it:
>
> http://www.ghosthorseworld.com
>
> I do encourage you and others to experience all that that site has to
> offer. Please, don't send me any packages in return, though :P
>
> Always trying to help,

That was great. I can't remember seeing a funnier web site. This guy
should be wearing those really long size 36 shoes.

Three stooges move over! I loved the description of the wines as "head
cracking",
too.

Thanks for the link. But, this isn't really serious, is it?

-E
Posted to alt.food.wine

Ronin wrote:
> Reasonably stored (not perfectly) since purchase in '96. A little brick
> in the color on opening, with strong bouquet of raspberries and shoe
> leather. Most noticeable on the tongue ( and rest of the mouth) was
> tannins - I got a case of cotton mouth, overwhelming any other
> perception, but the thought of "this is going to be good" was there.
>
> After being decanted for two hours, and with mesquite grilled filet
> mignon, the boquet had reduced, and the tannins and acid had fully
> integrated to a lovely mature cabernet sauvignon. Absolutely delicious
> - what I save wines in the cellar for.

That sounds like a great bottle you had. I cellared a few '93s but was
getting price fatigue right about that time... For pure entertainment
value: have you heard of Todd Anderson (aka "The Todd")'s new venture
Ghost Horse? There was quite an amusing thread on the eBob wine forum
concerning that winery within the last 6 months, but the
Naz...er...moderator may have nuked it:

http://www.ghosthorseworld.com

I do encourage you and others to experience all that that site has to
offer. Please, don't send me any packages in return, though :P

Always trying to help,
Mark Lipton

2002 Dominus Napa Valley Cab Bi!! Wine 0 07-06-2012 03:19 PM
Napa Valley Trip Dick N Wine 0 18-09-2010 11:55 PM
Napa Valley Floor Fruit EnoNut Winemaking 6 25-07-2006 06:21 PM
Where to Stay In Napa Valley JB Wine 31 26-10-2004 09:02 PM
Napa Valley Recommendations David Cary Wine 6 12-09-2004 04:54 AM