Jaybert41

Default TN: Domaine du Closel Savennieres Clos du Papillon

Decanted for 3 hours, showing a rich, viscous honeyed, golden yellow tone.
Somewhat retrained scent for Savennieres in the glass but still provoking some
thought about how ripe the fruit seemed to be.
I was serving this blind to my girlfriend and she though right up front that
it might be a later harvest Pinot Gris from Alsace or even a Viognior.
The taste was much different from the nose would lead to believe, as it
showed great body, power and minerality. The acidity came through more on the
finish than some other Loire wines that I have experienced, which lead me to
further ponder the massive body of this wine. We managed to get through almost
two glasses before we were feeling pretty beat up by this wine. At a massive
14.5% alcohol, this was no easy sipper.
I think that is an incredible wine and know that it is somewhat unfair to
appreciate it so young but I couldn't resist the urge. For the sake of
education you know?
At any rate, for $20 a bottle this is an absolute steal for a while with such
complexity, longevity and versatilely with food. Highly recommended.
Dale Williams

Jason, you don't mention vintage, but from description and alcohol sounds like
the 2002. If so, agree completely. The only thing not to like is the $%*#*#
fat-bottomed bottle.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Jaybert41

Ha! You're right Dale, it is the 2002 vintage (sorry about that), I was
drinking it as I was typing.

I have'nt had any trouble getting it into the racks with the other bottles; but
looking at it now, it is certainly larger than most.

Great wine! Gotta get some more even if it has to sit on the floor of the
cellar!

Savennieres : Clos de Papillon pk Wine 6 17-11-2009 04:33 PM
TN: 2002 Closel Papillon (and a Tarheel victory!) DaleW Wine 0 07-04-2009 09:44 PM
1999 Domaine de Charmy Clos Vougeot Bi!! Wine 5 12-01-2009 05:38 PM
TN Clos des Capucins 1979 Riesling Reserve 1979, Domaine Weinbach cwdjrxyz Wine 0 03-10-2007 04:11 AM
TN (red) Meursault Clos de Mazeray 1979, Domaine Jacques Prieur cwdjrxyz Wine 2 04-05-2006 11:19 AM