Dale Williams

Default TN: Assorted wines, mostly Bdx (but Red Bicyclette,too!)

A week of mostly having dinner w/o Betsy. With some meatloaf from the freezer,
the 2000 Arboleda Cabernet Sauvignon (Maipo Valley). Ripe forward dark berry
fruit, hint of mint, some vanilla/oak notes. Not a bad drink-now style wine. No
clue re cost, but if this is under$15 it's not a bad steak wine (a big much for
the meatloaf). B/B-

With hot dogs (I was trying to empty freezer), the 2001 Pierre Matrot
Meursault. Despite very lemony fruit, the acidity is rather moderate (it seems
a little funny to me , though it probably shouldn't , to find lemon flavors in
a not-especially acidic wine). Some honey and butterscotch. Better day 2. B/B+

With lamb chops in a red wine/shallot sauce, the 1999 Roc de Cambes (Côtes de
Bourg). Ripe modern styled wine. Nose of ripe cherries and chocolately oak,
deep kirsch and plum fruit with long finish. Moderate tannins. This is a big
bold wine, far bigger than anything else in the Bourg appelation. It's also
more expensive than any other Bourg, but at $19.99 at current Zachys sale I go
back for more. A-

Speaking of that sale, I don't think I ever posted on a 2001 La Fleur du Jaugue
(St. Emilion) last week. Modest medium-bodied claret, nose of spice/oak,
decent red berry fruit. Rather internationally styled though without the
"oomph" of the Roc de Cambes, only a hint of lead-pencil to lead one to know
it's a Bordeaux. Not a stunner, but a decent luncheon claret, and well-priced
at $11.99. B

Last night Betsy was home, and made a Thai-influenced dish of stir-fried beef,
baby bok choy, and rice noodles. She said she felt like red, so I opened the
2003 Red Bicyclette Syrah, Gallo's new French offering (Vin du Pays). Heard not
so great things re the Merlot and Chardonnay, but I thought this a reasonable
$8 wine. Ripe red fruit with some pepper and spice, light tannins, low-acid.
Exciting? No. But ok QPR. B-

And, while picking more Roc de Cambes, the first Sunday tasting I've attended
at Zachys (new NY laws). Usual disclaimers re small pours, etc.

2001 Les Arums de Lagrange
Fig and pear fruit, rather thick lanolin-y on the palate. I liked this a bit
better on a previous taste. B-

2001 Cantemerle
A bit dilute, red fruit, modest tannins. I think I have a couple bottles of
this coming, hard to get excited re their arrival. B-/C+

2001 du Tertre
Medium-bodied, seemingly a bit closed. Cassis and flowers emerge with a bit of
swirling. Hard to judge. B , with wide margin of error - I'll hold off on mine
for a while.

2001 Talbot
Very closed, tannic. But seems to be some deep black fruit lurking there. Again
hard to judge, but I pick up couple- I think there's promise there. B+?

2001 Haut-Brion
Again, pretty closed. But there is cedar, violets, and spice lurking.
Full-bodied, but the ripeness of the tannins make it go down smoothly. Now this
time I'm glad I have a couple coming. A-

2001 Coutet
Apricots and citrus, very sweet, tasty. B+/A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a
good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where
it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy,
and certainly not of consistency
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply