Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] Assorted vacation wines

What follows are sketchy notes on various wines drunk last week while
visiting in-laws in Florida and Philadelphia

2006 Isabel Sauvignon Blanc - a bit one-dimensional, grapefruity, SB

2006 Borsao Garnacha Tres Picos - simple, fruity, a bit confected

2007 Babich Sauvignon Blanc - minerals, acids, grapefruit and more

2005 Chave "Mon Coeur" CdR - big but well-structured, complex and
interesting (my WoTV)

2006 George Descombes (Duboeuf) Morgon - clean Gamay fruit, correct,
good acidity

2006 St. Clair "Vicar's Choice" Sauvignon Blanc - best SB of the trip, a
hint of tropical fruit to go along with the grapefruit and herbal notes

2007 Leitz "Dragonstone" Riesling - lovely, lime and peach, minerals,
but lacking a bit of precision; good QPR ($15.99)

2006 Kali Hart Pinot Noir - smoky, good acidity, a bit lacking in fruit

On a vaguely related note, we revisited the Ormond Wine Company in
Ormond Beach, FL (a wine bar/retailer with an Oenomatic dispenser) and
again found that their selection, while extensive, favors mostly wines
we don't really care that much for. Still, for the community of Ormond
Beach, FL, it's about as good as it gets for shopping.

And our visit to Circle Liquors in Somers Point, NJ, proved once again
that this spot -- famous as the last stop before entering the dry
township of Ocean City -- is quite a good source for interesting wines
on the Jersey Shore. A mere 5 minutes netted me the Leitz Dragonstone
and 3 other bottles and I could have spent a lot more time shopping.
Their selection doesn't rival a good urban wine store, but for its
location is quite remarkable.

Mark Lipton