JDS

Default Ok - I wanna buy good Cab but I'm in Grand Island Nebraska!!??

What do I do or what do I buy and where?
JDS

Joe Rosenberg

You have your choice of Grange Red or Feed Store White.(smile)

--
Joe "Beppe" Rosenberg
"JDS" > wrote in message
> What do I do or what do I buy and where?
> JDS

st.helier

"JDS" wrote in message.......

> What do I do or what do I buy and where?

Now just hold on a minute, is there something you are not disclosing.

I mean, Grand Island may only be a speck in the middle of Nebraska, but it
does have a population of over 40,000.

In less than one minute, I found a Goggle reference to -

Grand Island Liquor Mart (formerly Capital Liquor) on North Diers.
Fine Liquors on North Broadwell
Scagways on South Locust.

Is there some reason why you couldn't do the same?
Are you underage?
Are you ***, and scared that some of those farmer boys may bend you over
their tractor (you wish!)?

And if there is absolutely no wine shop of any quality whatsoever in Grand
Island, are you not only an hour or so to Omaha?

My friend, I am in Auckland, New Zealand - so take this advice.

Drag yourself onto your feet and away from that screen - go outside - go
find a liquor store, staffed with real people - and engage in the age old
art of *conversation*

Who knows, you may find someone far less cantankerous than I - and a bottle
of nice Ca Cab for your trouble.

--

st.helier

Thomas Curmudgeon

Uranium Committee wrote:

> "JDS" > wrote in message news:<1097630170.tEqqSIde151p0Hz8rrH9eQ@teranews>. ..
>
>>What do I do or what do I buy and where?
>>JDS

> Have you heard of other wines, y'all?

Sounds like a whine to me.
Thomas Curmudgeon

Uranium Committee wrote:

> "JDS" > wrote in message news:<1097630170.tEqqSIde151p0Hz8rrH9eQ@teranews>. ..
>
>>What do I do or what do I buy and where?
>>JDS

> Have you heard of other wines, y'all?

Sounds like a whine to me.

Larry

OWWWWW!

Funny yet brutal ;-}

Me thinks JDS wishes he/she had been a little more specific with
his/her question. Not sure if it's the 1/2 martini I've consumed or
the farmer/tractor reference that is making me LMAO.

All the best,

Larry
Southern Ontario

JDS

Thanks for all the wonderful help you bunch of lame/lippy/drunk/*** butt
****in' foreigners and cock suckers.

"JDS" > wrote in message
> What do I do or what do I buy and where?
> JDS

Midlife

in article 1097639577.802536@ftpsrv1, st.helier at
wrote on 10/12/04 8:52 PM:

> "JDS" wrote in message.......
>>
>> What do I do or what do I buy and where?

> Now just hold on a minute, is there something you are not disclosing.
>
> I mean, Grand Island may only be a speck in the middle of Nebraska, but it
> does have a population of over 40,000.
>
> In less than one minute, I found a Goggle reference to -
>
> Grand Island Liquor Mart (formerly Capital Liquor) on North Diers.
> Fine Liquors on North Broadwell
> Scagways on South Locust.
>
> Is there some reason why you couldn't do the same?
> Are you underage?
> Are you ***, and scared that some of those farmer boys may bend you over
> their tractor (you wish!)?
>
> And if there is absolutely no wine shop of any quality whatsoever in Grand
> Island, are you not only an hour or so to Omaha?
>
> My friend, I am in Auckland, New Zealand - so take this advice.
>
> Drag yourself onto your feet and away from that screen - go outside - go
> find a liquor store, staffed with real people - and engage in the age old
> art of *conversation*
>
> Who knows, you may find someone far less cantankerous than I - and a bottle
> of nice Ca Cab for your trouble.
>
> --
>
> st.helier

Are we getting a little too troll-sensitive??? The question in the original
post does seem overly simplistic but hardly requiring a two-sledgehammer
response. Personally, I found the *** suggestion completely inappropriate,
offensive and unnecessary. But that's just me....... I thought this was a
wine discussion group populated mostly by folks with an even sense of
morality and ethics. Surprise, surprise.

JDS's response predictable though equally offensive.

Midlife

wrote on 10/12/04 8:52 PM:

> "JDS" wrote in message.......
>>
>> What do I do or what do I buy and where?

> Now just hold on a minute, is there something you are not disclosing.
>
> I mean, Grand Island may only be a speck in the middle of Nebraska, but it
> does have a population of over 40,000.
>
> In less than one minute, I found a Goggle reference to -
>
> Grand Island Liquor Mart (formerly Capital Liquor) on North Diers.
> Fine Liquors on North Broadwell
> Scagways on South Locust.
>
> Is there some reason why you couldn't do the same?
> Are you underage?
> Are you ***, and scared that some of those farmer boys may bend you over
> their tractor (you wish!)?
>
> And if there is absolutely no wine shop of any quality whatsoever in Grand
> Island, are you not only an hour or so to Omaha?
>
> My friend, I am in Auckland, New Zealand - so take this advice.
>
> Drag yourself onto your feet and away from that screen - go outside - go
> find a liquor store, staffed with real people - and engage in the age old
> art of *conversation*
>
> Who knows, you may find someone far less cantankerous than I - and a bottle
> of nice Ca Cab for your trouble.
>
> --
>
> st.helier

Are we getting a little too troll-sensitive??? The question in the original
post does seem overly simplistic but hardly requiring a two-sledgehammer
response. Personally, I found the *** suggestion completely inappropriate,
offensive and unnecessary. But that's just me....... I thought this was a
wine discussion group populated mostly by folks with an even sense of
morality and ethics. Surprise, surprise.

JDS's response predictable though equally offensive.

Emery Davis

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 20:24:16 -0700, Midlife > said:

[]
] response. Personally, I found the *** suggestion completely inappropriate,
] offensive and unnecessary. But that's just me....... I thought this was a
] wine discussion group populated mostly by folks with an even sense of
] morality and ethics. Surprise, surprise.
]

I agree. A very offensive post from someone who is normally a reliable
and informative correspondant. Such comments really bring down the
level. AFW is usually mercifully free of that kind of stuff.

Not really defending, but I have noticed that my antipodean friends have
a somewhat "different" approach to "humor" of this sort. I wonder if this
might not be written to a case of cultural wire-crossing, insensitive as
it might be.

] JDS's response predictable though equally offensive.
]

Yes, well nothing to be said about that foolishness...

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to
RV WRLee

I'm not sure of the wine shipping laws in Nebraska but one can find virtually
any Cabernet that you desire by checking online at a number of sites including
Zachys.com, Winebid.com, winecommune.com, Brentwoodwines.com, etc. Just google
on the word "wine" and you should have enough sites to keep you looking for the
next week.
Bi!!
st.helier

Or - the apology you make without making an apology !!!!!

To any and all who *genuinely* took offence at my warped antipodean sense of
humour, please accept this as a Bush X Clinton apology - meaning - quite
frankly, I don't think that an apology is necessary, but if it makes *you*
feel better, then here it is - OK?

Now, here is a whole list of things for which I *do not* apologise.

I *do not* apologise for living in a part of the world where we have *not*
lost the ability to laugh, particularly at ourselves.
I *do not* apologise for being an intolerant s.o.b. who cannot abide fools;
whilst remaining realistic enough to know that I might be one of them!
I *do not* apologise for the 99% of my reply which in essence said "Engage
your brain; engage your feet, and remove your forefinger from you own
fundamental orifice before making inane requests into the cyber world."
I *do not* apologise for loving so much about the USA, whilst holding the
view that it is also the most hypercritic, moralistic nation on earth, and
which may eventually prove to be the greatest factor in the downfall of
humanity.
And lastly, I *do not* intend to change - I will continue to attempt to
bring an irreverent perspective to this forum. I am not without sin; I am an
agnostic, rather egocentric, slightly ROC leaning, older bugger (antipodean
slang!!!!!!!) who will continue to try to make you laugh and squirm and may
even succeed in offending your particular sensitivities, because, frankly my
dears, I don't give a damn!!!

--

st.helier

Midlife

in article 1097792023.803557@ftpsrv1, st.helier at
wrote on 10/14/04 3:13 PM:

> Or - the apology you make without making an apology !!!!!
>
> To any and all who *genuinely* took offence at my warped antipodean sense of
> humour, please accept this as a Bush X Clinton apology - meaning - quite
> frankly, I don't think that an apology is necessary, but if it makes *you*
> feel better, then here it is - OK?
>
> Now, here is a whole list of things for which I *do not* apologise.
>
> I *do not* apologise for living in a part of the world where we have *not*
> lost the ability to laugh, particularly at ourselves.
> I *do not* apologise for being an intolerant s.o.b. who cannot abide fools;
> whilst remaining realistic enough to know that I might be one of them!
> I *do not* apologise for the 99% of my reply which in essence said "Engage
> your brain; engage your feet, and remove your forefinger from you own
> fundamental orifice before making inane requests into the cyber world."
> I *do not* apologise for loving so much about the USA, whilst holding the
> view that it is also the most hypercritic, moralistic nation on earth, and
> which may eventually prove to be the greatest factor in the downfall of
> humanity.
> And lastly, I *do not* intend to change - I will continue to attempt to
> bring an irreverent perspective to this forum. I am not without sin; I am an
> agnostic, rather egocentric, slightly ROC leaning, older bugger (antipodean
> slang!!!!!!!) who will continue to try to make you laugh and squirm and may
> even succeed in offending your particular sensitivities, because, frankly my
> dears, I don't give a damn!!!
>
> --
>
> st.helier

If that's how you feel......... why bother?

Ed Rasimus

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:13:09 +1300, "st.helier"
> wrote:

>Or - the apology you make without making an apology !!!!!
>
>To any and all who *genuinely* took offence at my warped antipodean sense of
>humour, please accept this as a Bush X Clinton apology - meaning - quite
>frankly, I don't think that an apology is necessary, but if it makes *you*
>feel better, then here it is - OK?
>
>Now, here is a whole list of things for which I *do not* apologise.
>
>I *do not* apologise for living in a part of the world where we have *not*
>lost the ability to laugh, particularly at ourselves.
>I *do not* apologise for being an intolerant s.o.b. who cannot abide fools;
>whilst remaining realistic enough to know that I might be one of them!
>I *do not* apologise for the 99% of my reply which in essence said "Engage
>your brain; engage your feet, and remove your forefinger from you own
>fundamental orifice before making inane requests into the cyber world."
>I *do not* apologise for loving so much about the USA, whilst holding the
>view that it is also the most hypercritic, moralistic nation on earth, and
>which may eventually prove to be the greatest factor in the downfall of
>humanity.
>And lastly, I *do not* intend to change - I will continue to attempt to
>bring an irreverent perspective to this forum. I am not without sin; I am an
>agnostic, rather egocentric, slightly ROC leaning, older bugger (antipodean
>slang!!!!!!!) who will continue to try to make you laugh and squirm and may
>even succeed in offending your particular sensitivities, because, frankly my
>dears, I don't give a damn!!!

If I resemble that remark as well, can I agree wholeheartedly without
being accused of plagiarism or mis-appropriation?

Taking ourselves way, way, way too seriously has become a national
fixation.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org

Ed Rasimus

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:13:09 +1300, "st.helier"
> wrote:

>Or - the apology you make without making an apology !!!!!
>
>To any and all who *genuinely* took offence at my warped antipodean sense of
>humour, please accept this as a Bush X Clinton apology - meaning - quite
>frankly, I don't think that an apology is necessary, but if it makes *you*
>feel better, then here it is - OK?
>
>Now, here is a whole list of things for which I *do not* apologise.
>
>I *do not* apologise for living in a part of the world where we have *not*
>lost the ability to laugh, particularly at ourselves.
>I *do not* apologise for being an intolerant s.o.b. who cannot abide fools;
>whilst remaining realistic enough to know that I might be one of them!
>I *do not* apologise for the 99% of my reply which in essence said "Engage
>your brain; engage your feet, and remove your forefinger from you own
>fundamental orifice before making inane requests into the cyber world."
>I *do not* apologise for loving so much about the USA, whilst holding the
>view that it is also the most hypercritic, moralistic nation on earth, and
>which may eventually prove to be the greatest factor in the downfall of
>humanity.
>And lastly, I *do not* intend to change - I will continue to attempt to
>bring an irreverent perspective to this forum. I am not without sin; I am an
>agnostic, rather egocentric, slightly ROC leaning, older bugger (antipodean
>slang!!!!!!!) who will continue to try to make you laugh and squirm and may
>even succeed in offending your particular sensitivities, because, frankly my
>dears, I don't give a damn!!!

If I resemble that remark as well, can I agree wholeheartedly without
being accused of plagiarism or mis-appropriation?

Taking ourselves way, way, way too seriously has become a national
fixation.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
Vino

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:13:09 +1300, "st.helier"
> wrote:

[text snipped for brevity only]

>And lastly, I *do not* intend to change - I will continue to attempt to
>bring an irreverent perspective to this forum. I am not without sin; I am an
>agnostic, rather egocentric, slightly ROC leaning, older bugger (antipodean
>slang!!!!!!!) who will continue to try to make you laugh and squirm and may
>even succeed in offending your particular sensitivities, because, frankly my
>dears, I don't give a damn!!!

AFW would be much the poorer for your absence. I say this as a loyal
American who agrees with most of what you say.

Vino
Tom S

"st.helier" > wrote in message
> I *do not* apologise for loving so much about the USA, whilst holding the
> view that it is also the most hypercritic, moralistic nation on earth, and
> which may eventually prove to be the greatest factor in the downfall of
> humanity.

And _that_ sounds like a *good* thing, when you put it that way! :^D

I mean, humanity is one of the worst attributes of humans - isn't it?

When somebody really f___s up, isn't the most common cause human error?
"He's only _human_." - Right?

IOW, the best thing we humans could do is attempt to rise above that which
makes us human.

> And lastly, I *do not* intend to change - I will continue to attempt to
> bring an irreverent perspective to this forum. I am not without sin; I am

an
> agnostic, rather egocentric, slightly ROC leaning, older bugger

(antipodean
> slang!!!!!!!) who will continue to try to make you laugh and squirm and

may
> even succeed in offending your particular sensitivities, because, frankly

my
> dears, I don't give a damn!!!

I liked everything about that (understated though it may be) except for the
out-and-out plagiarism from "Gone with the Wind". A topnotch curmudgeon
should write _all_ of his own material. ;^)

Tom S

Max Hauser

"JDS" in news:1097630170.tEqqSIde151p0Hz8rrH9eQ@teranews...
> What do I do or what do I buy and where?
> JDS

A fairly "pure" exemplar of postings in the current era of newsgroups.
(Remember my efforts at this 1-April-04, Subject: Some modest questions .)

Follow-up by original poster was gratifyingly consistent.

I agree that St H's response was disproportionate in places (also, this
habit of blaming entire nations for things has led to bad consequences in
history), but still the problem that he lampooned in his original response
is very real.

-- Max

Max Hauser

Look what has become of rec.food.drink, after all the wine traffic left it
10 years ago and moved here.

Emery Davis

Well, I'll just say one more this about that...

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:13:09 +1300, "st.helier" > said:

] Or - the apology you make without making an apology !!!!!
]
] To any and all who *genuinely* took offence at my warped antipodean sense of
] humour, please accept this as a Bush X Clinton apology - meaning - quite
] frankly, I don't think that an apology is necessary, but if it makes *you*
] feel better, then here it is - OK?
]

Sure that's OK, and to my view fair enough. I respond because I think the
logic touches on why the original statement would be offensive to some.

In any international or multicultural group norms of politeness dictate
avoiding offense to group members. This sensitivity is what seemingly
prompted you reply above.

I remember when a callow youth I used to hang a lot at my friend David's
place up in the Bronx. One day when his Mom was driving me back
downtown, his little sister (maybe 4) saw a white guy crossing the street
and yelled "big points! Get whitey!" or words very close to that. An
uncomfortable silence followed, and I'll bet she got a _serious_ talking to
later. (I'm white, BTW). What was clear to me was that there was an
installed culture of separation, which (maybe more for David than I)
was a sort of barrier that wouldn't have existed had we shared the same
skin color. Although I may never have given it any thought, to the little
girl I was "different," and what's more an object of some humor.
(FWIW I was surprised but not particularly offended at the time, did
laugh it off, and accepted the apologies of the embarrassed Mom without
reserve.) Your comment reflects a similar cultural bias.

For the record, hate crimes against gays in the US, or for that matter
here in France, are no laughing matter. It seems to me that implicitly
deriding a population -- whether that's your intent or no -- by making
a joke that touches on a deeply felt issue is insensitive at best, but
certainly entirely inappropriate in a multicultural ng.

To mis-quote the words (if not actions) of our US president: "Be a uniter,
not a divider." (Hmm, is uniter really a word at all?) That's why we
welcome newbies, answer questions, avoid flames, follow netiquette, right?
It's hard to imagine that a *** reader would find your comment
welcoming.

As for your dismissal of the hapless OP, or words below, I have
no problem with it at all. Personally I wondered if you had too much
time on your hands when I saw the response to a post I ignored completely.

Like "Vino" I appreciate your posts and even your warped sense of humor.
(Not sure that most americans know what "bugger" really means, BTW,
but maybe some Britcom explained it.) I'm not asking -- not that it
would do any good! -- for a change. Nor I am particularly "politically
correct," I just felt you had crossed the line with this one.

'Nuf said, I accept the apology in the sense you meant it, I hope this
explains a little where I'm coming from here.

-E

[...]
] --
]
] st.helier
]
]

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to
by removing the well known companies
Hunt

In article <1097630170.tEqqSIde151p0Hz8rrH9eQ@teranews>, jdslaternospam@mchsi
..com says...

>What do I do or what do I buy and where?
>JDS

I realsize that Grand Island, NE is not the wine center of the world, or even
the US, but you should still have quite an array available to you. I do not
believe that there are any bans on wine, maybe just a limited selection. Many
other parts of the US suffer from this - even Phoenix, AZ, the "fifth largest
city in the US," at the moment.

What you might wish to do is give the subscriber base some idea of what you
want in a Cab, and then the suggestions will come rolling in. Now, some might
require work to find in NE, but many should be readily available.

I just did some TN's on the '97 Beringer Knights Valley Cab, which is a pretty
low price point Cab, and a lot of good wine for the $. First rec would be to
go to www.groups.google.com, and search this NG for some Cab recs. I'll be you
find a ton from the $US 20/btl up to the stratosphere.

Does NE allow out-of-state shipping? K&L wines in SF ships to much of the US
and has tons of Cabs. Many others probably do, as well.

Tell us what you like, and how much you wish to pay, then you can match what
is available to what is recommended.

Hunt

Dan the Man

"st.helier" > wrote in message news:<1097792023.803557@ftpsrv1>...
> Or - the apology you make without making an apology !!!!!
>
> To any and all who *genuinely* took offence at my warped antipodean sense of
> humour, please accept this as a Bush X Clinton apology - meaning - quite
> frankly, I don't think that an apology is necessary, but if it makes *you*
> feel better, then here it is - OK?
>
> Now, here is a whole list of things for which I *do not* apologise.
>
> I *do not* apologise for living in a part of the world where we have *not*
> lost the ability to laugh, particularly at ourselves.
> I *do not* apologise for being an intolerant s.o.b. who cannot abide fools;
> whilst remaining realistic enough to know that I might be one of them!
> I *do not* apologise for the 99% of my reply which in essence said "Engage
> your brain; engage your feet, and remove your forefinger from you own
> fundamental orifice before making inane requests into the cyber world."
> I *do not* apologise for loving so much about the USA, whilst holding the
> view that it is also the most hypercritic, moralistic nation on earth, and
> which may eventually prove to be the greatest factor in the downfall of
> humanity.
> And lastly, I *do not* intend to change - I will continue to attempt to
> bring an irreverent perspective to this forum. I am not without sin; I am an
> agnostic, rather egocentric, slightly ROC leaning, older bugger (antipodean
> slang!!!!!!!) who will continue to try to make you laugh and squirm and may
> even succeed in offending your particular sensitivities, because, frankly my
> dears, I don't give a damn!!!

Fair enough, chief. I already made a pledge to avoid politics in
future posts, and the future starts now.

Dan-O
(non-politically speaking)
st.helier

"Emery Davis" wrote in message .....

> Well, I'll just say one more this about that...

Likewise, this will be my final word, because this is getting further OT
with every contribution.

> I respond because I think the logic touches on why the
> original statement would be offensive to some.
> In any international or multicultural group norms of politeness
> dictate avoiding offense to group members.

I cannot totally agree, Emery.

I can not envisage any occasion where I would not take advantage of any
opportunity to pass some pointed, even ridiculing comment about any subject,
purely out of politeness.

One might say that I enjoy "Taking the ****!!!"

I would consider it a waste of a good day, when I did not make my fellow man
*think* by challenging a norm or convention or pointing out idiotic thinking
or actions of some sort.

Now, I am not saying that I am the best equipped to do this, in fact, far
from it, but, provided I have the time or inclination, I will never let a
chance go by.

I was once told "You should never discuss religion or politics" - but I
believe that if we chose *not* to discuss religion or politics or abortion
or racism or homosexuality or female circumcision or global warming or
global trade - then in fact, we fall into the trap of letting others
discuss these matters behind closed doors - and make decisions in secret
which will affect each and every one of us - while we remain as cattle or
sheep.

And I take the point(s) made - a.f.w. is a wine forum and all references to
*controversial* or *sensitive* subjects have no place here.

But, where does *relevance* start and finish.

If the current rate of climate change endangers low lying vineyards in (say)
Marlborough, is that relevant to the US failing to ratify the Kyoto
Agreement?

Could or should this be a topic of discussion?

Are EU *restrictions* on imports because of petty labelling issues any more
or less than "Trade Sanctions" by another name?

Should this also be discussed? Surely, the more enlightened that we, as
members of the general populace, are, then the more that we *can* influence
decision makers.

Should I stop making any reference to, the position "If you are not for us,
you are against us" when a US correspondent bleats about having their
corkscrew confiscated at LAX or JFK?

A couple of years ago there was quite a discussion of issues surrounding the
use of questionable labour practices in vineyards in Chile?

I do have a very broad general knowledge and awareness of issues in most of
the world; and whereas wine is a hobby and passion, I am not going to lock
myself away and pretend that issues just don't exist.

So, if I can see a humorous side to a discussion, I will contribute in my
own irreverent fashion.

Equally, if someone holds themselves up for ridicule, I will not let them
down.

And if my pointing out *a few home truths* upsets a few people, then that is
OK with me too.

You see, I truly value freedom - and I am lucky to live on one of the freest
countries on Earth.

And I know that I will upset a few of my American *friends* when I say,
looking from the outside, I can see the freedoms that you all hold so dear,
being taken from you forever, unless you start discussing ways that the US
can become *part* of the world community and not master of it.

--

st.helier

Tom S

"st.helier" > wrote in message
> > Well, I'll just say one more this about that...

I'd like to discuss this further, but not here. It's gotten way too OT.

Tom S

Tom S

"st.helier" > wrote in message
> > Well, I'll just say one more this about that...

I'd like to discuss this further, but not here. It's gotten way too OT.

Tom S

Xyzsch

>(Not sure that most americans know what "bugger" really means, BTW,
>but maybe some Britcom explained it.)

A bugger is in your nose.

In Ireland this summer we were talking to some teenagers who talked about being
****ed. We figured out they weren't angry at all. They just had had too much to
drink.

Tom Schellberg

(Where roundabouts are called traffic circles, and you travel around them
counterclockwise, perhaps because we live in the northern hemisphere... and
those who are in the traffic circle have the "right of way".)

Tom S

"Xyzsch" > wrote in message
> >(Not sure that most americans know what "bugger" really means, BTW,
> >but maybe some Britcom explained it.)

> A bugger is in your nose.

No, it isn't. At least not unless you have _really_ large nostrils! ;^D

Besides, bugger is a _verb_ - not a noun.

Tom S

st.helier

OK - I guess I started this, so let me clarify this piece of (British)
slang, commonly used in Australia and New Zealand.

Bugger has many meanings - let me count the ways.

Bugger! Expression of annoyance - damn! (having dropped and broken your
last bottle of '82 Latour)
Bugger (up) To damage or destroy (He missed the change and buggered the
gearbox - or "That bugger Bill Spohn left the wine behind and buggered up
our weekend!)
Bugger Off! Go Away! **** Off! (Not quite as offensive as F**k off!)
Bugger All Very small quantity. (There was bugger all left in that
bottle by the time I finished)
Bugger About Waste time (He buggered about all day trying to fix that
gearbox!)
Bugger (Term of playfull respect) He is a good bugger; that old bugger
is a hard worker!)
Bugger One who is difficult or awkward (He is a hard bugger to work for!)
Bugger the act of anal sex
Bugger Me! Expression of surprise or amazement (Hey, you just won the
lottery - well bugger me!!!)
Buggered Very tired (I've been working all day, and I'm absolutley
buggered!)

So, you can see, noun, verb and much more.

Here endeth this lesson - It's 11:30pm - it has been a long day and I'm
buggered, so I think that I shall bugger off to bed!

--

st.helier

Richard Neidich

American Translation---

Wine with Buggers? You pick your nose and eat your buggers with what wine?

Now its not off topic!!

"st.helier" > wrote in message
> OK - I guess I started this, so let me clarify this piece of (British)
> slang, commonly used in Australia and New Zealand.
>
> Bugger has many meanings - let me count the ways.
>
> Bugger! Expression of annoyance - damn! (having dropped and broken
> your
> last bottle of '82 Latour)
> Bugger (up) To damage or destroy (He missed the change and buggered the
> gearbox - or "That bugger Bill Spohn left the wine behind and buggered up
> our weekend!)
> Bugger Off! Go Away! **** Off! (Not quite as offensive as F**k off!)
> Bugger All Very small quantity. (There was bugger all left in that
> bottle by the time I finished)
> Bugger About Waste time (He buggered about all day trying to fix that
> gearbox!)
> Bugger (Term of playfull respect) He is a good bugger; that old
> bugger
> is a hard worker!)
> Bugger One who is difficult or awkward (He is a hard bugger to work
> for!)
> Bugger the act of anal sex
> Bugger Me! Expression of surprise or amazement (Hey, you just won the
> lottery - well bugger me!!!)
> Buggered Very tired (I've been working all day, and I'm absolutley
> buggered!)
>
> So, you can see, noun, verb and much more.
>
> Here endeth this lesson - It's 11:30pm - it has been a long day and I'm
> buggered, so I think that I shall bugger off to bed!
>
> --
>
> st.helier

Timothy Hartley

> > Here endeth this lesson - It's 11:30pm - it has been a long day and I'm
> > buggered, so I think that I shall bugger off to bed!

A very versatile word - rather like the F word. My father swears that he once
heard a soldier, who had dropped his mess tin and lost his food, say:
”F**k, the f**king f**ker‘s f**king f**ked it.•

Amazing how much meaning you can get into - or out of - one word.

Timothy Hartley
Hunt

In article >, says

>OK - I guess I started this, so let me clarify this piece of (British)
>slang, commonly used in Australia and New Zealand.
>
>Bugger has many meanings - let me count the ways.
>
>Bugger! Expression of annoyance - damn! (having dropped and broken your
>last bottle of '82 Latour)
>Bugger (up) To damage or destroy (He missed the change and buggered the
>gearbox - or "That bugger Bill Spohn left the wine behind and buggered up
>our weekend!)
>Bugger Off! Go Away! **** Off! (Not quite as offensive as F**k off!)
>Bugger All Very small quantity. (There was bugger all left in that
>bottle by the time I finished)
>Bugger About Waste time (He buggered about all day trying to fix that
>gearbox!)
>Bugger (Term of playfull respect) He is a good bugger; that old bugger
>is a hard worker!)
>Bugger One who is difficult or awkward (He is a hard bugger to work for!)
>Bugger the act of anal sex
>Bugger Me! Expression of surprise or amazement (Hey, you just won the
>lottery - well bugger me!!!)
>Buggered Very tired (I've been working all day, and I'm absolutley
>buggered!)
>
>So, you can see, noun, verb and much more.
>
>Here endeth this lesson - It's 11:30pm - it has been a long day and I'm
>buggered, so I think that I shall bugger off to bed!
>
>--
>
>st.helier

You omitted (on purpose, I suppose) one additional aspect of the verb, to
bugger, with strong sexual overtones, but I will not proceed any farther along
that line - some things are best left unsaid.

Thanks for the lesson, as there was one that I had never heard of.

Hunt

Hunt

In article >, says

>OK - I guess I started this, so let me clarify this piece of (British)
>slang, commonly used in Australia and New Zealand.
>
>Bugger has many meanings - let me count the ways.
>
>Bugger! Expression of annoyance - damn! (having dropped and broken your
>last bottle of '82 Latour)
>Bugger (up) To damage or destroy (He missed the change and buggered the
>gearbox - or "That bugger Bill Spohn left the wine behind and buggered up
>our weekend!)
>Bugger Off! Go Away! **** Off! (Not quite as offensive as F**k off!)
>Bugger All Very small quantity. (There was bugger all left in that
>bottle by the time I finished)
>Bugger About Waste time (He buggered about all day trying to fix that
>gearbox!)
>Bugger (Term of playfull respect) He is a good bugger; that old bugger
>is a hard worker!)
>Bugger One who is difficult or awkward (He is a hard bugger to work for!)
>Bugger the act of anal sex
>Bugger Me! Expression of surprise or amazement (Hey, you just won the
>lottery - well bugger me!!!)
>Buggered Very tired (I've been working all day, and I'm absolutley
>buggered!)
>
>So, you can see, noun, verb and much more.
>
>Here endeth this lesson - It's 11:30pm - it has been a long day and I'm
>buggered, so I think that I shall bugger off to bed!
>
>--
>
>st.helier

You omitted (on purpose, I suppose) one additional aspect of the verb, to
bugger, with strong sexual overtones, but I will not proceed any farther along
that line - some things are best left unsaid.

Thanks for the lesson, as there was one that I had never heard of.

Hunt

Larry

>Here endeth this lesson - It's 11:30pm - it has been a long day and I'm
>buggered, so I think that I shall bugger off to bed!

That's it! My next trip was going to be to the Mediterranean but I
might have to convince my other half to go further east and south.

All the best,

Larry
Southern Ontario

Dick R.

Larry wrote:

>>Here endeth this lesson - It's 11:30pm - it has been a long day and I'm
>>buggered, so I think that I shall bugger off to bed!

> That's it! My next trip was going to be to the Mediterranean but I
> might have to convince my other half to go further east and south.
>
> All the best,
>
> Larry
> Southern Ontario

Hey Larry, be that as it may (whatever that means) we have a serious
issue he Did you ever try the Rex Goliath 47 Lb. Pinot Noir?
I don't recall any TNs from you.
If you did post TNs, never mind.
Dick R.

Larry

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 16:55:52 -0500, "Dick R." > wrote:

>Larry wrote:
>>
>>>Here endeth this lesson - It's 11:30pm - it has been a long day and I'm
>>>buggered, so I think that I shall bugger off to bed!

>> That's it! My next trip was going to be to the Mediterranean but I
>> might have to convince my other half to go further east and south.
>>
>> All the best,
>>
>> Larry
>> Southern Ontario
>>

>Hey Larry, be that as it may (whatever that means) we have a serious
>issue he Did you ever try the Rex Goliath 47 Lb. Pinot Noir?
>I don't recall any TNs from you.
>If you did post TNs, never mind.
>Dick R.

Hi Dick,

Means going down under to hear all about "buggers" sounds like a good
idea. I did post my TN on the "very expensive" RG Pinot. Think I
said it was "good" for the value. Man of few words. If I could get
it for your price, I would make it one of my usual quaffers.

All the best,

Larry
Southern Ontario

st.helier

Toyota New Zealand produced a very funny TV advertisement, which proved
quite controversial, using the word "Bugger!"

There were many complaints, which only served to give both the advertisement
and Toyota more publicity.

This advertisement could never be aired anywhere except NZ - we are a very
broadminded lot.

If you want to view this ad, try this link (you will need QuickTime!)

http://files2.inspire.net.nz/Movies/...ota-bugger.mov

--

st.helier

Vino

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 18:11:05 +0100, Timothy Hartley
> wrote:

>> > Here endeth this lesson - It's 11:30pm - it has been a long day and I'm
>> > buggered, so I think that I shall bugger off to bed!

>A very versatile word - rather like the F word. My father swears that he once
>heard a soldier, who had dropped his mess tin and lost his food, say:
>”F**k, the f**king f**ker‘s f**king f**ked it.•

A reasonably acceptable alternative (in the USA, anyway) is "frigging"
or, more commonly, "friggin'", in both cases used as an adjective.
AFAIK, there is no equivalent verbal form, which may be one reason it
is considered less offensive than the vulgarity it replaces.

Vino
Vino