Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi jcoulter,

:

>> Mario Desiderio

>AHH a voice from the past. I loved the insightful questions, "Anyone drink
>a good Chianti?" ahh well

Chuckle. I found them eminently dispensible. "I have looked on the Internet
and found nothing. Please tell me in decreasing size, the area under vines
for all the chateaux in the Medoc."

>on a personal note FWIW Ian, i will be in France in two weeks courtesy of
>the French Tourist Board.

Two weeks, round about the 16th then? Any chance of you making it here on
the 15th, we're only 60 kms north of Cahors, reachable in about an hour and
a half. Another afw regular will be here, (we could put you up for the
night) and we could have a fun dinner. You could taste a couple of juvenile
Cahors perhaps.

> One of our stops is The Chateau de Mercues and we will have some free time in Cahors.

> Question if I can only buy one or two bottles due to space and weight considerations What should I look for?

I like Ch La Grèze very much, also Ch Caminade clos de la Commandery, Ch
Eugenie, cuvée des Aieuls & Cuvée des Tsars. Mercues doesn't excite me at
all I'm afraid. George Vigouroux making wines that - for me - are in keeping
with his name, rather than betraying great elegance.

Living so close I haven't been able to escape tasting quite a few Cahors,
(not that I would want to avoid them) but I've not made anything like as
deep a study of them as I have of Bergerac.

>(I will be in the Aquitaine following this stop but haven't received the
>itinerary yet, however, since you seem to know Cahors well . . .

When you get it, do let me know where you'll be.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Ian Hoare

:

>> Mario Desiderio

>AHH a voice from the past. I loved the insightful questions, "Anyone drink
>a good Chianti?" ahh well

Chuckle. I found them eminently dispensible. "I have looked on the Internet
and found nothing. Please tell me in decreasing size, the area under vines
for all the chateaux in the Medoc."

>on a personal note FWIW Ian, i will be in France in two weeks courtesy of
>the French Tourist Board.

Two weeks, round about the 16th then? Any chance of you making it here on
the 15th, we're only 60 kms north of Cahors, reachable in about an hour and
a half. Another afw regular will be here, (we could put you up for the
night) and we could have a fun dinner. You could taste a couple of juvenile
Cahors perhaps.

> One of our stops is The Chateau de Mercues and we will have some free time in Cahors.

> Question if I can only buy one or two bottles due to space and weight considerations What should I look for?

I like Ch La Grèze very much, also Ch Caminade clos de la Commandery, Ch
Eugenie, cuvée des Aieuls & Cuvée des Tsars. Mercues doesn't excite me at
all I'm afraid. George Vigouroux making wines that - for me - are in keeping
with his name, rather than betraying great elegance.

Living so close I haven't been able to escape tasting quite a few Cahors,
(not that I would want to avoid them) but I've not made anything like as
deep a study of them as I have of Bergerac.

>(I will be in the Aquitaine following this stop but haven't received the
>itinerary yet, however, since you seem to know Cahors well . . .

When you get it, do let me know where you'll be.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
http://www.souvigne.com
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Leo,

le/on Thu, 02 Sep 2004 11:28:13 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 22:29:59 +0200, Ian Hoare >
>wrote:
>

>>Yup, I agree. And I'm increasingly getting the feeling that Leo is using us
>>to do all his research for his wine class.

>Because I value and appreciate all of you, I am definitely using your
>input to do some of the research for the class--and I am not ashamed
>to do so and to admit it.

What leaves a slightly sour taste in my mouth, Leo, is that you will be paid
for your classes for which we seem to be providing most of the data free of
charge. I'd have preferred it if you had made that clearer up front.

But I'm just an old grump, so pay no attention.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Leo,

le/on Thu, 02 Sep 2004 11:28:13 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 22:29:59 +0200, Ian Hoare >
>wrote:
>

>>Yup, I agree. And I'm increasingly getting the feeling that Leo is using us
>>to do all his research for his wine class.

>Because I value and appreciate all of you, I am definitely using your
>input to do some of the research for the class--and I am not ashamed
>to do so and to admit it.

What leaves a slightly sour taste in my mouth, Leo, is that you will be paid
for your classes for which we seem to be providing most of the data free of
charge. I'd have preferred it if you had made that clearer up front.

But I'm just an old grump, so pay no attention.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
http://www.souvigne.com
jcoulter

Ian Hoare > wrote in
:

> Salut/Hi jcoulter,
>
> le/on Thu, 02 Sep 2004 08:14:00 -0500, tu disais/you said:-
>
>>Ian Hoare > wrote in
m:

>>> Mario Desiderio

>>AHH a voice from the past. I loved the insightful questions, "Anyone
>>drink a good Chianti?" ahh well

> Chuckle. I found them eminently dispensible. "I have looked on the
> Internet and found nothing. Please tell me in decreasing size, the
> area under vines for all the chateaux in the Medoc."

>> One of our stops is The Chateau de Mercues and we will have some free
>> time in Cahors.

Mercues is on the 14th on the 15th the itnerary vaguely states, 1645
leave for Rocamadour

>> Question if I can only buy one or two bottles due to space and weight
>> considerations What should I look for?

> I like Ch La Grèze very much, also Ch Caminade clos de la Commandery,
> Ch Eugenie, cuvée des Aieuls & Cuvée des Tsars. Mercues doesn't excite
> me at all I'm afraid. George Vigouroux making wines that - for me -
> are in keeping with his name, rather than betraying great elegance.

Funny, I saw the name and thought of a possible connection with style.

> Living so close I haven't been able to escape tasting quite a few
> Cahors, (not that I would want to avoid them) but I've not made
> anything like as deep a study of them as I have of Bergerac.

With luck I will be able to test your knowledge of these wines.

will let you know when I find out. Thanks

jcoulter

Ian Hoare > wrote in
:

> Salut/Hi jcoulter,
>
> le/on Thu, 02 Sep 2004 08:14:00 -0500, tu disais/you said:-
>
>>Ian Hoare > wrote in
m:

>>> Mario Desiderio

>>AHH a voice from the past. I loved the insightful questions, "Anyone
>>drink a good Chianti?" ahh well

> Chuckle. I found them eminently dispensible. "I have looked on the
> Internet and found nothing. Please tell me in decreasing size, the
> area under vines for all the chateaux in the Medoc."

>> One of our stops is The Chateau de Mercues and we will have some free
>> time in Cahors.

Mercues is on the 14th on the 15th the itnerary vaguely states, 1645
leave for Rocamadour

>> Question if I can only buy one or two bottles due to space and weight
>> considerations What should I look for?

> I like Ch La Grèze very much, also Ch Caminade clos de la Commandery,
> Ch Eugenie, cuvée des Aieuls & Cuvée des Tsars. Mercues doesn't excite
> me at all I'm afraid. George Vigouroux making wines that - for me -
> are in keeping with his name, rather than betraying great elegance.

Funny, I saw the name and thought of a possible connection with style.

> Living so close I haven't been able to escape tasting quite a few
> Cahors, (not that I would want to avoid them) but I've not made
> anything like as deep a study of them as I have of Bergerac.

With luck I will be able to test your knowledge of these wines.

will let you know when I find out. Thanks

Leo Bueno

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 23:23:17 +0200, Ian Hoare >
wrote:

>Salut/Hi Leo,
>
> le/on Thu, 02 Sep 2004 11:28:13 GMT, tu disais/you said:-
>

>>On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 22:29:59 +0200, Ian Hoare >
>>wrote:
>>

>>>Yup, I agree. And I'm increasingly getting the feeling that Leo is using us
>>>to do all his research for his wine class.

>>Because I value and appreciate all of you, I am definitely using your
>>input to do some of the research for the class--and I am not ashamed
>>to do so and to admit it.

>What leaves a slightly sour taste in my mouth, Leo, is that you will be paid
>for your classes for which we seem to be providing most of the data free of
>charge. I'd have preferred it if you had made that clearer up front.
>
>But I'm just an old grump, so pay no attention.

Unwarranted assumption, Mr. Hoare. I plan to use the classes as a
vehicle to raise funds for a foundation which funds research which
will hopefully find a cure for several diseases which cause blindness.

Leo Bueno

wrote:

>Salut/Hi Leo,
>
> le/on Thu, 02 Sep 2004 11:28:13 GMT, tu disais/you said:-
>

>>On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 22:29:59 +0200, Ian Hoare >
>>wrote:
>>

>>>Yup, I agree. And I'm increasingly getting the feeling that Leo is using us
>>>to do all his research for his wine class.

>>Because I value and appreciate all of you, I am definitely using your
>>input to do some of the research for the class--and I am not ashamed
>>to do so and to admit it.

>What leaves a slightly sour taste in my mouth, Leo, is that you will be paid
>for your classes for which we seem to be providing most of the data free of
>charge. I'd have preferred it if you had made that clearer up front.
>
>But I'm just an old grump, so pay no attention.

Unwarranted assumption, Mr. Hoare. I plan to use the classes as a
vehicle to raise funds for a foundation which funds research which
will hopefully find a cure for several diseases which cause blindness.

st.helier

"Leo Bueno" wrote in message

> Unwarranted assumption, Mr. Hoare. I plan to use the classes
> as a vehicle to raise funds for a foundation which funds research
> which will hopefully find a cure for several diseases
> which cause blindness.

Including alcoholism! ;-)))))

(Sorry - twisted sense of humour!!!)

> Do you like wine? Do you live in South Florida?

From what I have read of yet another approaching hurricane, who would want
to live in Florida?

Retreat to the (aboveground) cellars and batten down the hatches!!!

And good luck!!!!!!!!

--

st.helier

st.helier

"Leo Bueno" wrote in message

> Unwarranted assumption, Mr. Hoare. I plan to use the classes
> as a vehicle to raise funds for a foundation which funds research
> which will hopefully find a cure for several diseases
> which cause blindness.

Including alcoholism! ;-)))))

(Sorry - twisted sense of humour!!!)

> Do you like wine? Do you live in South Florida?

From what I have read of yet another approaching hurricane, who would want
to live in Florida?

Retreat to the (aboveground) cellars and batten down the hatches!!!

And good luck!!!!!!!!

--

st.helier

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Leo Bueno,

le/on Fri, 03 Sep 2004 02:56:02 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 23:23:17 +0200, Ian Hoare >
>wrote:

>>>Because I value and appreciate all of you, I am definitely using your
>>>input to do some of the research for the class--and I am not ashamed
>>>to do so and to admit it.

>>What leaves a slightly sour taste in my mouth, Leo, is that you will be paid
>>for your classes for which we seem to be providing most of the data free of
>>charge. I'd have preferred it if you had made that clearer up front.
>>
>>But I'm just an old grump, so pay no attention.
>>>

>Unwarranted assumption, Mr. Hoare. I plan to use the classes as a
>vehicle to raise funds for a foundation which funds research which
>will hopefully find a cure for several diseases which cause blindness.

In which case I apologise unreservedly. But although it may be unwarranted,
you will admit it wasn't an unreasonable one, so all the more reason to have
told us all about it up front! You might even have had more responsive
answer.

Anyway, my apologies again. Good luck with Frances (I hope she's as kind to
you as her name sake in flesh and blood was to me).

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi jcoulter,

:

>Mercues is on the 14th on the 15th the itnerary vaguely states, 1645
>leave for Rocamadour

Rocamadour a perfect example of French Tourism. A magnificent site ruined by
greedy shopkeepers and a complaisant town council. Only about an hour from
us. This might even work out as a possibility"

>With luck I will be able to test your knowledge of these wines.

Yum.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
jcoulter

Ian Hoare > wrote in
:

> Salut/Hi jcoulter,
>
> le/on Thu, 02 Sep 2004 17:59:07 -0500, tu disais/you said:-
>
>>Ian Hoare > wrote in
m:

>>Mercues is on the 14th on the 15th the itnerary vaguely states, 1645
>>leave for Rocamadour

> Rocamadour a perfect example of French Tourism.

Well those are the folks that are payaing the tab lol

A magnificent site
> ruined by greedy shopkeepers and a complaisant town council. Only
> about an hour from us. This might even work out as a possibility"
>

>>With luck I will be able to test your knowledge of these wines.

> Yum.

jcoulter

Ian Hoare > wrote in
:

> Salut/Hi jcoulter,
>
> le/on Thu, 02 Sep 2004 17:59:07 -0500, tu disais/you said:-
>
>>Ian Hoare > wrote in
m:

>>Mercues is on the 14th on the 15th the itnerary vaguely states, 1645
>>leave for Rocamadour

> Rocamadour a perfect example of French Tourism.

Well those are the folks that are payaing the tab lol

A magnificent site
> ruined by greedy shopkeepers and a complaisant town council. Only
> about an hour from us. This might even work out as a possibility"
>

>>With luck I will be able to test your knowledge of these wines.

> Yum.

jcoulter

Ian Hoare > wrote in
:

> Salut/Hi jcoulter,
>
> le/on Thu, 02 Sep 2004 17:59:07 -0500, tu disais/you said:-
>
>>Ian Hoare > wrote in
m:

>>Mercues is on the 14th on the 15th the itnerary vaguely states, 1645
>>leave for Rocamadour

> Rocamadour a perfect example of French Tourism.

Well those are the folks that are payaing the tab lol

A magnificent site
> ruined by greedy shopkeepers and a complaisant town council. Only
> about an hour from us. This might even work out as a possibility"
>

>>With luck I will be able to test your knowledge of these wines.

> Yum.

Mike Tommasi

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 14:43:31 +0200, Ian Hoare >
wrote:

>Salut/Hi jcoulter,
>
> le/on Thu, 02 Sep 2004 17:59:07 -0500, tu disais/you said:-
>
>>Ian Hoare > wrote in
m:

>>Mercues is on the 14th on the 15th the itnerary vaguely states, 1645
>>leave for Rocamadour

>Rocamadour a perfect example of French Tourism. A magnificent site ruined by
>greedy shopkeepers and a complaisant town council.

I bet there are at least 6 shops all selling the same perfumed soap
that you can buy in Provence, Brittany, anywhere.

Is the itinerary covering any of the South-East?

Mike

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail
Mike Tommasi

wrote:

>Salut/Hi jcoulter,
>
> le/on Thu, 02 Sep 2004 17:59:07 -0500, tu disais/you said:-
>
>>Ian Hoare > wrote in
m:

>>Mercues is on the 14th on the 15th the itnerary vaguely states, 1645
>>leave for Rocamadour

>Rocamadour a perfect example of French Tourism. A magnificent site ruined by
>greedy shopkeepers and a complaisant town council.

I bet there are at least 6 shops all selling the same perfumed soap
that you can buy in Provence, Brittany, anywhere.

Is the itinerary covering any of the South-East?

Mike

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail
Mark Lipton

Ian Hoare wrote:

> Rocamadour a perfect example of French Tourism. A magnificent site ruined by
> greedy shopkeepers and a complaisant town council. Only about an hour from
> us. This might even work out as a possibility"

Fortunately, Ian, the magnificent setting and interesting history of
Rocamadour permitted us to ignore the surrounding schlock, which by the
way cannot even be legitimately compared to the crap that surrounds
major tourist attractions in the US.

Mark Lipton
Mark Lipton

Ian Hoare wrote:

> Rocamadour a perfect example of French Tourism. A magnificent site ruined by
> greedy shopkeepers and a complaisant town council. Only about an hour from
> us. This might even work out as a possibility"

Fortunately, Ian, the magnificent setting and interesting history of
Rocamadour permitted us to ignore the surrounding schlock, which by the
way cannot even be legitimately compared to the crap that surrounds
major tourist attractions in the US.

Mark Lipton
winemonger

Leo Bueno > wrote in message news:

> Unwarranted assumption, Mr. Hoare. I plan to use the classes as a
> vehicle to raise funds for a foundation which funds research which
> will hopefully find a cure for several diseases which cause blindness.

Stem cell research?

Totally off-topic,
e. winemonger
www.winemonger.com

winemonger

Leo Bueno > wrote in message news:

> Unwarranted assumption, Mr. Hoare. I plan to use the classes as a
> vehicle to raise funds for a foundation which funds research which
> will hopefully find a cure for several diseases which cause blindness.

Stem cell research?

Totally off-topic,
e. winemonger
www.winemonger.com
Bill Spohn

>Fortunately, Ian, the magnificent setting and interesting history of
>Rocamadour permitted us to ignore the surrounding schlock

I gotta say that while Rocamadour is interesting to visit, the place I head for
to stay is La Roque-Gageac!

Not as much in the way of scenic architecture, but the mist over the river at 7
in the morning makes up for the loss of the tourist stands ;-)

Bill Spohn

>Fortunately, Ian, the magnificent setting and interesting history of
>Rocamadour permitted us to ignore the surrounding schlock

I gotta say that while Rocamadour is interesting to visit, the place I head for
to stay is La Roque-Gageac!

Not as much in the way of scenic architecture, but the mist over the river at 7
in the morning makes up for the loss of the tourist stands ;-)

jcoulter

Mike Tommasi > wrote in
:

> I bet there are at least 6 shops all selling the same perfumed soap
> that you can buy in Provence, Brittany, anywhere.
>
> Is the itinerary covering any of the South-East?
>
> Mike

That was my first choice, unfortunately ;-)
my mother has decided to have her 80th birthday over the period for that
trip so it is the Southwest instead. (though truth to tell I would have
preferred Brittany as it is the one place in France that I have yet to
experience.)

jcoulter

Mike Tommasi > wrote in
:

> I bet there are at least 6 shops all selling the same perfumed soap
> that you can buy in Provence, Brittany, anywhere.
>
> Is the itinerary covering any of the South-East?
>
> Mike

That was my first choice, unfortunately ;-)
my mother has decided to have her 80th birthday over the period for that
trip so it is the Southwest instead. (though truth to tell I would have
preferred Brittany as it is the one place in France that I have yet to
experience.)
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Mark,

le/on Fri, 03 Sep 2004 10:24:01 -0500, tu disais/you said:-

>Ian Hoare wrote:
>
>> Rocamadour is a perfect example of French Tourism. A magnificent site ruined by
>> greedy shopkeepers and a complaisant town council. Only about an hour from
>> us. This might even work out as a possibility"

>Fortunately, Ian, the magnificent setting and interesting history of
>Rocamadour permitted us to ignore the surrounding schlock,

When we are asked by our visitors whether Rocamadour is worth a visit, we
always reply with a vehement "Absolutely!". But we then follow it up with a
warning about the schlock - what a good word! The grandeur of the site is
incontestable, and if the rip-off over the lift (they don't really warn you
that you pay for each stage of the 2 stage trip up and down) is ignored, the
chapel and the black madonna is also moving.

What I find incomprehensible is this. You have maybe 30 (maybe a few more)
shops along the little high street, and they all, without exception, sell
the SAME total crap. Fluorescent plastic "models" of the Madonna, made in
Taiwan, for example. I've no beef over someone making an honest crust, but
really, there are limits!!

> which by the way cannot even be legitimately compared to the crap that surrounds
>major tourist attractions in the US.

Maybe I've been lucky enough not to visit a major tourist site in the US.
I've been to a few places which claim to be such (St Augustine FL for
example) and while there are plenty of shops aty least there's SOME variety,
and you can still find _something_ of interest. For me the worst was in the
Appalachians, the town of Cherokee. Apart from the miasma of rancid fat
pervading every restaurant, and the worst and slowest hamburger line of any
place I've ever visited in my life, there was absolutely nothing whatsover
of interest. However, even there there was one shop where I was able to buy
a pair of moccasins that I'm still wearing as I type this, five years down
the line.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Mark,

le/on Fri, 03 Sep 2004 10:24:01 -0500, tu disais/you said:-

>Ian Hoare wrote:
>
>> Rocamadour is a perfect example of French Tourism. A magnificent site ruined by
>> greedy shopkeepers and a complaisant town council. Only about an hour from
>> us. This might even work out as a possibility"

>Fortunately, Ian, the magnificent setting and interesting history of
>Rocamadour permitted us to ignore the surrounding schlock,

When we are asked by our visitors whether Rocamadour is worth a visit, we
always reply with a vehement "Absolutely!". But we then follow it up with a
warning about the schlock - what a good word! The grandeur of the site is
incontestable, and if the rip-off over the lift (they don't really warn you
that you pay for each stage of the 2 stage trip up and down) is ignored, the
chapel and the black madonna is also moving.

What I find incomprehensible is this. You have maybe 30 (maybe a few more)
shops along the little high street, and they all, without exception, sell
the SAME total crap. Fluorescent plastic "models" of the Madonna, made in
Taiwan, for example. I've no beef over someone making an honest crust, but
really, there are limits!!

> which by the way cannot even be legitimately compared to the crap that surrounds
>major tourist attractions in the US.

Maybe I've been lucky enough not to visit a major tourist site in the US.
I've been to a few places which claim to be such (St Augustine FL for
example) and while there are plenty of shops aty least there's SOME variety,
and you can still find _something_ of interest. For me the worst was in the
Appalachians, the town of Cherokee. Apart from the miasma of rancid fat
pervading every restaurant, and the worst and slowest hamburger line of any
place I've ever visited in my life, there was absolutely nothing whatsover
of interest. However, even there there was one shop where I was able to buy
a pair of moccasins that I'm still wearing as I type this, five years down
the line.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
http://www.souvigne.com
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Mark,

le/on Fri, 03 Sep 2004 10:24:01 -0500, tu disais/you said:-

>Ian Hoare wrote:
>
>> Rocamadour is a perfect example of French Tourism. A magnificent site ruined by
>> greedy shopkeepers and a complaisant town council. Only about an hour from
>> us. This might even work out as a possibility"

>Fortunately, Ian, the magnificent setting and interesting history of
>Rocamadour permitted us to ignore the surrounding schlock,

When we are asked by our visitors whether Rocamadour is worth a visit, we
always reply with a vehement "Absolutely!". But we then follow it up with a
warning about the schlock - what a good word! The grandeur of the site is
incontestable, and if the rip-off over the lift (they don't really warn you
that you pay for each stage of the 2 stage trip up and down) is ignored, the
chapel and the black madonna is also moving.

What I find incomprehensible is this. You have maybe 30 (maybe a few more)
shops along the little high street, and they all, without exception, sell
the SAME total crap. Fluorescent plastic "models" of the Madonna, made in
Taiwan, for example. I've no beef over someone making an honest crust, but
really, there are limits!!

> which by the way cannot even be legitimately compared to the crap that surrounds
>major tourist attractions in the US.

Maybe I've been lucky enough not to visit a major tourist site in the US.
I've been to a few places which claim to be such (St Augustine FL for
example) and while there are plenty of shops aty least there's SOME variety,
and you can still find _something_ of interest. For me the worst was in the
Appalachians, the town of Cherokee. Apart from the miasma of rancid fat
pervading every restaurant, and the worst and slowest hamburger line of any
place I've ever visited in my life, there was absolutely nothing whatsover
of interest. However, even there there was one shop where I was able to buy
a pair of moccasins that I'm still wearing as I type this, five years down
the line.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
http://www.souvigne.com
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Bill Spohn,

le/on 03 Sep 2004 15:56:12 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>>Fortunately, Ian, the magnificent setting and interesting history of
>>Rocamadour permitted us to ignore the surrounding schlock

>I gotta say that while Rocamadour is interesting to visit, the place I head for
>to stay is La Roque-Gageac!

Aha!! I've gotta poem for you, written by a very good friend of mine who
lives there.

I include his gloss, which gives a little local colour!

||... In Pimpernel style, while musing on the bong - where better? - at the appropriate hour this morning.
|| Initially, I concocted it in the singular, in the light of those increasing number of occasions
|| when I'd gone downstairs to fetch something, got absorbed in something else, and come back upstairs
|| having completely forgotten the first object.
|| But then I decided that it could go even more justifiably in the plural, applied to
||those elderly, wide-bottomed tourists who are currently serving to double the time of all my journeys
||on foot through the village, however short.
|| They pooter here, they pooter there,
|| Vieux doudous pooter everywhere...
|| Are they still with us
|| Or down in the dell?
|| Only the Lord Above could tell.

>Not as much in the way of scenic architecture, but the mist over the river at 7
>in the morning makes up for the loss of the tourist stands ;-)

And Michael (my friend) is the person who introduced me to Luc de Conti and
his wines! To drag this sort of back on topic.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Bill Spohn,

le/on 03 Sep 2004 15:56:12 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>>Fortunately, Ian, the magnificent setting and interesting history of
>>Rocamadour permitted us to ignore the surrounding schlock

>I gotta say that while Rocamadour is interesting to visit, the place I head for
>to stay is La Roque-Gageac!

Aha!! I've gotta poem for you, written by a very good friend of mine who
lives there.

I include his gloss, which gives a little local colour!

||... In Pimpernel style, while musing on the bong - where better? - at the appropriate hour this morning.
|| Initially, I concocted it in the singular, in the light of those increasing number of occasions
|| when I'd gone downstairs to fetch something, got absorbed in something else, and come back upstairs
|| having completely forgotten the first object.
|| But then I decided that it could go even more justifiably in the plural, applied to
||those elderly, wide-bottomed tourists who are currently serving to double the time of all my journeys
||on foot through the village, however short.
|| They pooter here, they pooter there,
|| Vieux doudous pooter everywhere...
|| Are they still with us
|| Or down in the dell?
|| Only the Lord Above could tell.

>Not as much in the way of scenic architecture, but the mist over the river at 7
>in the morning makes up for the loss of the tourist stands ;-)

And Michael (my friend) is the person who introduced me to Luc de Conti and
his wines! To drag this sort of back on topic.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
http://www.souvigne.com
jcoulter

Ian Hoare > wrote in
news

> Maybe I've been lucky enough not to visit a major tourist site in the
> US. I've been to a few places which claim to be such (St Augustine FL
> for example) and while there are plenty of shops aty least there's
> SOME variety, and you can still find _something_ of interest.

Hey that's my county seat! But isn't it the tackiest? Although, the old
fort the Castillo de San Marco is worth the visit and the old slave market
is a historical site of notariety

For me
> the worst was in the Appalachians, the town of Cherokee.

Been there and agree wholeheartedly

However, even
> there there was one shop where I was able to buy a pair of moccasins
> that I'm still wearing as I type this, five years down the line.

Just goes to show there is good everywhere.

You just have to love the Dordogne for historical stuff. Here in the US
there are a zillion George Washington slept here sites but in France it is
Richard Couer du Lion.

jcoulter

Ian Hoare > wrote in
news

> Maybe I've been lucky enough not to visit a major tourist site in the
> US. I've been to a few places which claim to be such (St Augustine FL
> for example) and while there are plenty of shops aty least there's
> SOME variety, and you can still find _something_ of interest.

Hey that's my county seat! But isn't it the tackiest? Although, the old
fort the Castillo de San Marco is worth the visit and the old slave market
is a historical site of notariety

For me
> the worst was in the Appalachians, the town of Cherokee.

Been there and agree wholeheartedly

However, even
> there there was one shop where I was able to buy a pair of moccasins
> that I'm still wearing as I type this, five years down the line.

Just goes to show there is good everywhere.

You just have to love the Dordogne for historical stuff. Here in the US
there are a zillion George Washington slept here sites but in France it is
Richard Couer du Lion.

jcoulter

Ian Hoare > wrote in
news

> Maybe I've been lucky enough not to visit a major tourist site in the
> US. I've been to a few places which claim to be such (St Augustine FL
> for example) and while there are plenty of shops aty least there's
> SOME variety, and you can still find _something_ of interest.

Hey that's my county seat! But isn't it the tackiest? Although, the old
fort the Castillo de San Marco is worth the visit and the old slave market
is a historical site of notariety

For me
> the worst was in the Appalachians, the town of Cherokee.

Been there and agree wholeheartedly

However, even
> there there was one shop where I was able to buy a pair of moccasins
> that I'm still wearing as I type this, five years down the line.

Just goes to show there is good everywhere.

You just have to love the Dordogne for historical stuff. Here in the US
there are a zillion George Washington slept here sites but in France it is
Richard Couer du Lion.

Leo Bueno

On 3 Sep 2004 08:45:11 -0700, (winemonger)
wrote:

>Leo Bueno > wrote in message news:
>
>> Unwarranted assumption, Mr. Hoare. I plan to use the classes as a
>> vehicle to raise funds for a foundation which funds research which
>> will hopefully find a cure for several diseases which cause blindness.

>Stem cell research?

Whatever it takes. Please visit
www.blindness.org. Better yet,
please send a check!

Leo Bueno

wrote:

>Leo Bueno > wrote in message news:
>
>> Unwarranted assumption, Mr. Hoare. I plan to use the classes as a
>> vehicle to raise funds for a foundation which funds research which
>> will hopefully find a cure for several diseases which cause blindness.

>Stem cell research?

Whatever it takes. Please visit
www.blindness.org. Better yet,
please send a check!

Leo Bueno

wrote:

>Leo Bueno > wrote in message news:
>
>> Unwarranted assumption, Mr. Hoare. I plan to use the classes as a
>> vehicle to raise funds for a foundation which funds research which
>> will hopefully find a cure for several diseases which cause blindness.

>Stem cell research?

Whatever it takes. Please visit
www.blindness.org. Better yet,
please send a check!

Richard Neidich

Hi Leo...

what am I looking for in this link provided.

Also...huge hurricane. I have been following closely since I have relatives
in Kendall, Weston, and Palm Beach...let alone my condo that likely got
damaged on Hutchenson Island just north of Stuart. Initial info in the news
tells me that my insurance company will be doing lots of repairs.

Dick

"Leo Bueno" > wrote in message
> On 3 Sep 2004 08:45:11 -0700, (winemonger)
> wrote:
>
>>Leo Bueno > wrote in message news:
>>
>>> Unwarranted assumption, Mr. Hoare. I plan to use the classes as a
>>> vehicle to raise funds for a foundation which funds research which
>>> will hopefully find a cure for several diseases which cause blindness.

>>Stem cell research?

> Whatever it takes. Please visit
www.blindness.org. Better yet,
> please send a check!

Premium flours? ? ? Ray[_7_] Sourdough 11 17-12-2009 11:41 PM
Try the new Premium Unseen Tea tksx Tea 6 24-10-2008 03:27 PM
Cultivars and tea types, [email protected] Tea 1 10-09-2008 03:13 PM
Premium Tequila [email protected] Beer 0 22-07-2008 11:38 PM
TN- '80-'82 non-premium Napas Dale Williams Wine 2 24-10-2003 02:06 PM